Like Tree27Likes
  • 5 Post By wardancer
  • 7 Post By Josiah
  • 7 Post By OLChemist
  • 4 Post By WhoMe
  • 1 Post By Broken Arrow
  • 1 Post By Josiah
  • 2 Post By wardancer

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Ask PowWows.com Question about afterlife teachings in Native American Religions. Question about afterlife teachings in Native American Religions.

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-27-2017, 11:22 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
NAReligionExplorer is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 104.00
Savings: 0.00
Question about afterlife teachings in Native American Religions.

Hello, my name is Karl and I'm new to this forum. I have a very unusual question, and I would really appreciate it if someone could help me with it.

My question is: do you known of any Native American Religion which teaches that, after death, people face judgment and are then sent to either a permanent Heaven or a permanent Hell (i.e like in Christianity)?

Thanks. I know that this is a strange question but, nevertheless, I research religion in my spare time and this is something I would like to know the answer to. However, I can't seem to find the answer by looking on search engines and what not as there doesn't seem to be much literature on this subject. I have, however, found two sources which suggest that such a system does indeed exist within atleast one Native American Tribe or ethnic group (possibly the Roanoke tribe/group). But there is so also a lot of conflicting information and I'm having to come here to hopefully get some definitive answers.

By the way, I understand that the Native American Church possibly has these beliefs, but, from what I understand, their doctrine is a mix of native beliefs and Christianity - and this isn't what I'm looking for as I'm looking for a native religion which hasn't been influenced by Christianity, for example. Sorry if I sound fussy.

Anyway, thanks for reading and I don't know if there are any experts on Native American Religion here but i'd really really appreciate your help.

Karl.
NAReligionExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2017, 12:26 AM   #2
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 47,796.15
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by nareligionexplorer View Post
hello, my name is karl and i'm new to this forum. I have a very unusual question, and i would really appreciate it if someone could help me with it.

My question is: do you known of any native american religion which teaches that, after death, people face judgment and are then sent to either a permanent heaven or a permanent hell (i.e like in christianity)?

thanks. I know that this is a strange question but, nevertheless, i research religion in my spare time and this is something i would like to know the answer to. However, i can't seem to find the answer by looking on search engines and what not as there doesn't seem to be much literature on this subject. I have, however, found two sources which suggest that such a system does indeed exist within atleast one native american tribe or ethnic group (possibly the roanoke tribe/group). But there is so also a lot of conflicting information and i'm having to come here to hopefully get some definitive answers.

By the way, i understand that the native american church possibly has these beliefs, but, from what i understand, their doctrine is a mix of native beliefs and christianity - and this isn't what i'm looking for as i'm looking for a native religion which hasn't been influenced by christianity, for example. Sorry if i sound fussy.

Anyway, thanks for reading and i don't know if there are any experts on native american religion here but i'd really really appreciate your help.

Karl.
no

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
wardancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2017, 06:51 AM   #3
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 36,041.53
Heaven and Hell are Christian Concepts invented in the Middle Ages to appease the common folk to continue with the Tithe

Those concepts have no comparable basis with Native tribes who have religious beliefs as varied as the stars above...

My own tribe did not believe in an afterlife. This life is all you get no redemption, make the best of it now...
Old 03-28-2017, 09:24 AM   #4
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 45,710.32
Karl, welcome to powwows.com. We're a forum for the discussion of the social dance forms of the modern powwow and related arts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAReligionExplorer View Post
...what I'm looking for as I'm looking for a native religion which hasn't been influenced by Christianity, for example....
Good luck with that.

What with the: forced conversion and enslavement of the Kumeyaay, Diegueño, Cahuilla, Chemehuevi, Luiseño, Serrano, Cupeño, and more in Spanish missions; "Church" sanctioned destruction of the kivas and the murders of the leaders of the Pueblo's various religious orders; Deer Island confinement of the Praying Indians, forced religious conversion and education in boarding schools; Religious Crimes Code of 1883; involuntary commitment of medicine people to mental hospitals; and on and on. Too often instead of "...speaking the truth with love..." (Ephesians 4:15), the invaders choose to invoke the name of Jesus in oppression and violence. Native people of the US have had a hard time avoiding Christian influences and appalling examples of Christian witness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAReligionExplorer View Post
...I don't know if there are any experts on Native American Religion here....
What a profoundly dominant culture thing to say. How can our tiny, limited human minds hope to have anything more than a glimpse of the Creator's majestic ways? The most knowledgable folks I know about my people's traditional teachings are the mostly likely to admit they know only a little.

Last edited by OLChemist; 03-28-2017 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: Grammar, it's not just a good idea.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2017, 12:39 PM   #5
Teen Dancer

Broken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,392.81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
Heaven and Hell are Christian Concepts invented in the Middle Ages to appease the common folk to continue with the Tithe

Those concepts have no comparable basis with Native tribes who have religious beliefs as varied as the stars above...
Heaven and hell are older than Christiantity. Christians are only about 2017 years around.

The Old Testament is a little bit older but that isn't by itself the first belief of heaven and hell.

That afterlife is an invention of the Egypts and others in the region of the middle east. The great flood of the bible is a story you find in the Gilgamesh epos and that is written in cuneiform on clay tablets and older that the Old Testament or the Genesis.

We changed Odin or Wotan, Thor, Loki, Freya against God, Jesus Christ and Holy Spirit as one god. I have never quite understood why three is one. The idea of one god is again an Egyptian invention, by Echnaton with Nofrete.

I stay with the Archangel Michael. That is the Leader of heavens army and a warrior who defends the people.

I remember some ## years or so ago a discussion of heaven and hell as white and black and the human world as the world of all shades of color. Making the heaven to a white hell and the hell to a black heaven.

The World of all shades of color is a much more enjoyable view than only black or white.

There is nothing more to lead to misunderstandings (very midly put) and everything of scrap in human relations than religion. Remember 1618 to 1648 on the soil of the Holy Roman Empire of German Nation. About 40% of all people died in some regions up t0 70%. F... Idiots.

True peace between nations will only happen when there is true peace within people’s souls.
Black Elk

“Tell me, and I will listen.
Show me, and I will understand.
Involve me, and I will learn.”
Lakota Proverb

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time,
Enjoying one moment at a time,
Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace.
(Reinhold Niebuhr, but the origin is debated)
Broken Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2017, 01:50 PM   #6
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 10,589.67
After death, current president will be sent to Mexico.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:17 PM   #7
Teen Dancer

Broken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond repute
May be they deny him entry or refuse his entry by car, train or foot.

Perhaps discard him with parachute over Mexico?
WhoMe likes this.

True peace between nations will only happen when there is true peace within people’s souls.
Black Elk

Lakota Proverb

Old 03-28-2017, 07:48 PM   #8
Powwow Dude

Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Arrow View Post
Heaven and hell are older than Christiantity. Christians are only about 2017 years around.

The Old Testament is a little bit older but that isn't by itself the first belief of heaven and hell.

That afterlife is an invention of the Egypts and others in the region of the middle east. The great flood of the bible is a story you find in the Gilgamesh epos and that is written in cuneiform on clay tablets and older that the Old Testament or the Genesis.

We changed Odin or Wotan, Thor, Loki, Freya against God, Jesus Christ and Holy Spirit as one god. I have never quite understood why three is one. The idea of one god is again an Egyptian invention, by Echnaton with Nofrete.

I stay with the Archangel Michael. That is the Leader of heavens army and a warrior who defends the people.

I remember some ## years or so ago a discussion of heaven and hell as white and black and the human world as the world of all shades of color. Making the heaven to a white hell and the hell to a black heaven.

The World of all shades of color is a much more enjoyable view than only black or white.

There is nothing more to lead to misunderstandings (very midly put) and everything of scrap in human relations than religion. Remember 1618 to 1648 on the soil of the Holy Roman Empire of German Nation. About 40% of all people died in some regions up t0 70%. F... Idiots.
Sure the Egyptians had a form of the "Underworld" that was not Hell some would argue that our present state is a form of Hell and that thru redemption we will go to heaven.
Actually the concept of the underworld is a very common theme throughout time and many religions. What is not common is the idea of heaven in the Christian Sense where you go after dying.
The Norse say you go to Valhalla but that is if you died in Battle says nothing of women and children.
Other religions just merely teach that you pass on to a higher plane of understanding or are silent on the subject.
What I was talking about was the concept of both a Heaven (if your good) and a Hell if you do evil. Actually in the original concept was if your were not Pious you would be damned in eternal damnation.
Dantes Inferno
windanncer likes this.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:33 PM   #9
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 47,796.15
And , in essence , everyone has said the same thing....NO !
You all are just trying to complicate it ! It's really very simple , the answer to the question he asked is NO.

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
wardancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-2017, 02:33 AM   #10
Teen Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardancer View Post
And , in essence , everyone has said the same thing....NO !
Yes and the simple No can be said with much more words.
Old habits are hard to overcome.

A simple No needs where I am working to often explaining.

Black Elk

Lakota Proverb

Old 03-29-2017, 07:15 AM   #11
Powwow Dude

Nope
Josiah is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2017, 06:04 AM   #12
Head Dancer

Items TreePresentChange User Title
Spiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond repute
Spiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 9,795.44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Arrow View Post
A simple No needs where I am working to often explaining.
No
Spiritflight is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links