Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By jhyog
  • 2 Post By Broken Arrow
  • 6 Post By OLChemist

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Ask PowWows.com Question about drawing (One Bull?) Question about drawing (One Bull?)

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-26-2018, 10:23 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
jhyog is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 118.99
Savings: 0.00
Question Question about drawing (One Bull?)

there,
This is my first post.

I bought some drawings in a second hand store here in The Netherlands.

I will post one now, the rest will follow.
So this is probably One Bull..(?)

I have some questions:

Why is he wearing the headfur?

Who can read the words in the left corner?

Who drew this?

How did these illustrations get all the way, over the atlantic, in Europe?
I did a reversed Google search but could not find anything related.

I own the drawings for about 7 years now. They hang in a prominent place on the wall right next to my chair. I like how selfconfident he looks. Gives me good energy throughout the day!
Attached Thumbnails
img_20180826_231616-2.jpg  
Mishibizhiw likes this.
jhyog is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2018, 01:23 PM   #2
Champion Dancer

Broken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 8,933.41
Hunkpapa-Chief
jüngerer Neffe von G.... Bull
Little Big Horn 1876
alumphfres and jhyog like this.
Broken Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2018, 08:55 PM   #3
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 56,334.23
Welcome to powwows.com.

Probably "jüngerer Neffe von Sitting Bull"

One Bull was the nephew and hunka son of Sitting Bull. Being part of the family of Sitting Bull he was present at many of the important events during the Hunkpapa's wars with the Americans.

He was also frequently interviewed. There are all kinds of transcripts and articles about these interviews. One of the more accessible is the 1938 interview by David Humphreys Miller recording One Bull's recollections of the battle to protect the village at Little Bighorn.

American Heritage: Echoes of Little Bighorn (They must have used ORC to digitize the magazine from the 1970's, the text is full of typos.)

Romantic fascination with Native people during the 18th and 19th century is rampant in Europe. There are tons of things like this over there.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2018, 01:34 AM   #4
Champion Dancer

Broken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
Probably "jüngerer Neffe von Sitting Bull"
As always, you are right.

Schnauf, I only looked at the handwritten Text and the S is close to a G.

It was bad day yesterday and did not look up One Bull in my books.

The first line of the hand written text reads by the way One Bull.

True peace between nations will only happen when there is true peace within people’s souls.
Black Elk

“Tell me, and I will listen.
Show me, and I will understand.
Involve me, and I will learn.”
Lakota Proverb

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time,
Enjoying one moment at a time,
Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace.
(Reinhold Niebuhr, but the origin is debated)
Old 08-30-2018, 04:56 PM   #5
Pow Wow Visitor

jhyog is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 118.99
Thumbs up

Wow, thanks for making that clear. Great eyesight you two have

So the author is German.. Is there more info about him/her?
Quote:
Welcome to powwows.com.

Romantic fascination with Native people during the 18th and 19th century is rampant in Europe. There are tons of things like this over there.
Haha, i was hoping for something really rare.. Oh well..

So I have two more. Can you help me with these too? (I'm European AND definately fascinated!)

I think the man on the first pic is Little Big Man?
What is the meaning of the double circle? And why is he wearing the fox/jackal hat?

The last one does not include any text. But i suppose the crow stands for either wisdom (shaman) or the name of the tribe (in North Dakota?)
Attached Thumbnails
img_20180827_135850-2.jpg   img_20180827_140011-2.jpg  
jhyog is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-30-2018, 08:38 PM   #6
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Looks like you bought part of a collection of sketches of men who fought the invaders at Greasy Grass.

I can't read the German (?) next to the name in the first sketch. I don't speak German. The name is Pawnee Killer. Pawnee Killer is probably not that uncommon a name. I bet every tribe that engaged in conflict with the Pawnee had somebody named Pawnee Killer. But, there was an Oglala head man with that name, who was at Little Bighorn.

Pawnee Killer, First People Photo Archive

Stereopticon photo with Pawnee Killer.\

I think that sketch looks a lot like the first photo.

The robe design is sometimes called war bonnet or feather circle. The diamonds are feathers.

Robe, Standing Rock 1882, U. Penn Collection

Yanktonai Robe by Herman Red Elk, 1963

Black Warbonnet Robe, by Michael McLeod, 201?

And three by my friend Angela Swedberg

Painted Robes

The proportions on the design are a bit odd and he is wearing it backwards. The design should be over the wearer's back. The stripe runs the length of the robe. Occasionally, a line of quillwork or beadwork would hide a seam where a robe had been split down the spine to make butchering easier to manage or faster if the enemy was nearby.

You need to understand the esthetic. The designs on Native clothing are intended to interact with wearer's body shape and be seen in motion. On a tall man walking, this design is striking. It moves like a bonnet flexes in the wind, or like feathers fluttering on a staff.

Last edited by OLChemist; 08-30-2018 at 09:54 PM..
Old 08-30-2018, 09:13 PM   #7
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhyog View Post
And why is he wearing the fox/jackal hat?
No Jackal. Not Africa. Because the person drawing has some fanciful ideas about Native headgear, LOL.

Seriously, he/she seems to be working from photos and embellishing them, maybe because they don't think the latest fashions from France -- the cloth and American clothing -- aren't "Indian" enough for their taste. But, the artist either isn't particularly familiar with tribal arts or chooses for whatever reason to disregard them and mix and match.

I make powwow regalia. I've done a little reproduction work. I've studied the work of Native masters. Just like I studied European art in school. I haven't seen everything. But the head piece in the second sketch is not like anything I've seen.

I've seen several types of split horn bonnets -- society regalia and not -- and that looks like an amalgam. The brow band looks more like woodlands loom work from the 1930's. The tube with hair, looks like an African tribal fly swatter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhyog View Post
But i suppose the crow stands for either wisdom (shaman) or the name of the tribe (in North Dakota?)
You suppose wrong:) Please be very careful about projecting meanings -- especially spiritual -- on to what you see photos of Indians. You are a victim of your worldview, just like I am. What you see and what you're told is going to be distorted by the lens of your culture.

Also, please don't use the term shaman. Native priests, holy men, healers, singers, and dreamers had many different names, but none of them is shaman. It may be the correct scholarly term, but for modern Native people it is weighted down by so many dominant culture distortions.

Last edited by OLChemist; 08-30-2018 at 10:05 PM.. Reason: Dan autocomplete
Old 08-30-2018, 10:05 PM   #8
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
Oh, while you're looking at the robes an Angela's website, check out her art glass. She did some work at Pilchuck a few years ago. Amazing stuff.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:50 AM   #9
Champion Dancer

Quote:
Looks like you bought part of a collection of sketches of men who fought the invaders at Greasy Grass.

I can't read the German (?) next to the name in the first sketch. I don't speak German. The name is Pawnee Killer. Pawnee Killer is probably not that uncommon a name. I bet every tribe that engaged in conflict with the Pawnee had somebody named Pawnee Killer. But, there was an Oglala head man with that name, who was at Little Bighorn.
Brule Subchief Pawnee Killer
Little Big Horn 1876

Guessing the name on the right side: F. Redmann, L. Gedmann oder Hedmann, Heckmann (less possible)

I share your opinion that he bought a part of a collection of sketches of natives who fought at Greasy Grass.

I am only guessing but may be those have been with William Frederick Cody's show in Europe?

True peace between nations will only happen when there is true peace within people’s souls.
Black Elk

“Tell me, and I will listen.
Show me, and I will understand.
Involve me, and I will learn.”
Lakota Proverb

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time,
Enjoying one moment at a time,
Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace.
(Reinhold Niebuhr, but the origin is debated)
Sponsored Links