Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Toolbox

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Ask PowWows.com Question about Pennsylvania Indians Question about Pennsylvania Indians

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-31-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 51,730.10
Savings: 0.00
Question about Pennsylvania Indians

any info? This is for an emailer to our site as well.

Thanks in advance. :)
Old 10-31-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
Ready to dance

wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Question about artist named Tatankala Yellowbird

Anybody know an artist named Tatankala Yellowbird selling sweatshirts at the Mt. Juliet powwow in Tennessee recently? TIA
Old 10-31-2013, 05:28 PM   #3
I pull your leg out!

Items Treasure ChestElephantPresentPresent
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 46,115.38
There are no federally or state recognized tribes in PA. There are groups and societies in PA that try to call themselves a tribe or a band of a tribe but they are not official and many have been issued cease and desist orders by the tribe they claim to be a band of. They mainly try to claim Lenape (Delaware). There is a group in the Philadelphia area that calls themselves Cherokee - the Cherokee never occupied the land that is now PA or the Delaware Valley where these people are. ( @Josiah can you verify that). There are groups in NJ that have tried to pull the same stuff.

"Powwows" (in quote marks for a reason) in PA are not real representations of what a powwow is. The performers and the committee are often just misguided people who have may have some Indian blood but don't have a connection to the native community at large and often represent the more "Hollywood" image of Indians at powwows. If you want to go to a real Powwow in that area you may want to head to the NYC area or to upstate NY to a powwow like Salamanca or Six Nations.

There are however a few museums in PA that serve mainly as educational hubs about the history of the tribes that did occupy PA and for the most part they don't try to call themselves Indians or members of any tribe - just historians. Some in fact even hire Indians who happen to live in the area for educational events.

Don't take my statements above as my saying that there aren't Indians living in PA, because there are.

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/
Toolbox is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2013, 11:03 PM   #4
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 23,363.37
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolbox View Post
There are no federally or state recognized tribes in PA. There are groups and societies in PA that try to call themselves a tribe or a band of a tribe but they are not official and many have been issued cease and desist orders by the tribe they claim to be a band of. They mainly try to claim Lenape (Delaware). There is a group in the Philadelphia area that calls themselves Cherokee - the Cherokee never occupied the land that is now PA or the Delaware Valley where these people are. ( @Josiah can you verify that). There are groups in NJ that have tried to pull the same stuff.

"Powwows" (in quote marks for a reason) in PA are not real representations of what a powwow is. The performers and the committee are often just misguided people who have may have some Indian blood but don't have a connection to the native community at large and often represent the more "Hollywood" image of Indians at powwows. If you want to go to a real Powwow in that area you may want to head to the NYC area or to upstate NY to a powwow like Salamanca or Six Nations.

There are however a few museums in PA that serve mainly as educational hubs about the history of the tribes that did occupy PA and for the most part they don't try to call themselves Indians or members of any tribe - just historians. Some in fact even hire Indians who happen to live in the area for educational events.

Don't take my statements above as my saying that there aren't Indians living in PA, because there are.
Cherokees did not live in the Northeast and actually I read an article that we were part of the Iroquoian Language Stock but they believe that the language we are grouped with diverged as much as 3000 years ago!
Old 10-31-2013, 11:07 PM   #5
I pull your leg out!

Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
Cherokees did not live in the Northeast and actually I read an article that we were part of the Iroquoian Language Stock but they believe that the language we are grouped with diverged as much as 3000 years ago!
I thought that. I only wanted to ask for verification just in case there was that one little bit of time where some random band of Cherokee lived in the PA region that only a few people know of. LOL

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/
Old 11-01-2013, 03:12 PM   #6
Ready to dance

Thanks guys!
Old 11-04-2013, 01:08 AM   #7
Pow Wow Visitor

gumbootmama is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 111.00
Hi Wyo ! (I'm pounding some moose-hide, with a meat tenderizer hammer, to the pow-wow music,LOL, to kind of 'tenderize' the hide ...it's a bit stiffer than I want, and the pounding is loosening the stiffness up. I got the hide off of some moose-legs that were given to me so I could obtain some sinew to learn to sew with it, and I thought I'd flesh and smoke the two pieces of hide off of the legs to make something with it.
I'm from Canada. My dad's brother and wife, who had a Mohawk son (and Mohawk grandchildren), from Tyendinaga reserve, cared for me during the day, from when I was a baby til I went to school. Last night I was looking up our last name Lowry on genealogy sites and it traces back to Celtic people who came to our continent and somehow got married into First Nations people who went to school with Moravians, went thru much tragedy and fled north, some even ending up in Ontario, Canada. My dad fished, hunted and mostly trapped to keep his family alive during the Canadian Depression (in the 1930's, the 'Dirty 30's). I learned to love to hunt by being around him.
I married my late-husband who was three generations Algonquin on the mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother side. It's surprising to me that I just happened to see your question tonight when it was only last night, as I was researching my family geneology, that I came upon the answer to your question.

I found lots of info on these First Nations people but here is a link for you to start with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moravian_Indian_Reserve_No._47

Pennsylvania

The Munsee were the Wolf clan of the Lenape, occupying the area where present-day Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York meet. The first recorded European contact occurred in 1524, when Giovanni da Verrazano sailed into what is now New York Harbor. Like most native peoples of the Atlantic coast, the Munsee were quickly devastated by European diseases such as smallpox and influenza, and those who survived were forced inland. By the mid-18th century, one group of Lenape people began to follow the teachings of the Moravian missionaries. The Moravians, a Protestant denomination from Herrnhut, Saxony, now in Germany, in America based in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, sought to protect their converts by creating separate mission villages in the frontier, apart from both European settlers and from other native people. The most prominent missionary among the Munsee was David Zeisberger. In 1772, he led his group of Christian Munsee to the Ohio Territory, which he hoped would isolate them from the hostilities of the approaching American Revolution. However, in 1782, a force of Pennsylvania militiamen, in search of Indians who had been raiding settlements in western Pennsylvania, happened upon a group of ninety of Zeisberger's Christian Munsee and rounded them up in the village of Gnadenhütten. Although the Munsee truthfully pleaded their innocence, the militia took a vote and decided to kill them all, including the women and children.
Ontario

After ten more years of strife, most of the Christian Munsee followed Zeisberger to Ontario, Canada, where they established a new home at Fairfield, commonly known as Moraviantown, along the Thames River. There they lived in relative peace for twenty years, supporting themselves with their farming and industry. However, once again they became unwitting victims of war, when American soldiers burned their village to the ground during the War of 1812 Battle of the Thames. The battle is well known historically as a victory for General William Henry Harrison, and for the death of the Shawnee chief Tecumseh, but the destruction of Moraviantown is little more than a footnote. The Munsee fled into the wilderness for safe haven until hostilities had ceased, then returned to build a new Fairfield.
Wisconsin

By the 1830s, a faction of the Christian Munsee favored a move to the American West. In 1837, some of the Munsee from Fairfield journeyed to Wisconsin to join another Christian band of Indians, the Stockbridge Mahican, whence the two tribes became known collectively as the Stockbridge-Munsee. They are now the Stockbridge-Munsee Community in Shawano County, Wisconsin. However, most of the Munsee eventually returned to Canada. The Christian Munsee in southern Ontario remain today as the Moravian of the Thames and the Munsee-Delaware Nation.
Kansas Territory

A small band of Christian Munsee decided to migrate again, this time to Kansas Territory, to join their non-Christian Lenape kinsmen. They settled first in Wyandotte County, then Leavenworth County. A few families settled near Fort Scott in Bourbon County. By 1857, most of the other Lenape (of Kansas) were removed to Indian Territory.

The Christian Munsee, who now numbered less than one hundred, chose to purchase a new reservation in Franklin County from a small band of Ojibwa (Chippewa) that had migrated from Michigan. The Treaty of 1859 officially combined the Swan Creek and Black River Band Chippewa and the Christian Munsee on a reservation of twelve square miles along the Marais des Cygnes River near the town of Ottawa. Signing the treaty for the Munsee were Henry Donohoe, Ignatius Caleb, and John Williams.

Although the two tribes shared a reservation and were considered one tribe by the United States government in all dealings, they maintained their separate identities in cultural and religious practices. The Moravian church continued to send missionaries to the Munsee.

Under the Dawes Act, the Chippewa-Christian Indian Reservation, as it was known in the 1859 treaty, was allotted to the individual members and descendants of the tribes in separate 160-acre plots. The people eventually accepted assimilation. In 1900, the final disbursement of federal funds was paid, and all benefits and official recognition as Native Americans were dissolved.
See also

Gelelemend (John Kilbuck Jr.) -- Munsee leader and prominent Moravian native convert
John Henry Kilbuck -- a descendant of Gelelemend, he served as a Moravian missionary to Native peoples in Alaska

References

Census of the Chippewa and Christian Indians, June 30, 1893. Washington, DC: National Archives and Records Administration, National Archives Building.
Gray, Elma E. (1956). Wilderness Christians — the Moravian Mission to the Delaware Indians. Toronto: Macmillan.
Olmstead, Earl P. (1991). Blackcoats among the Delaware — David Zeisberger on the Ohio Frontier. Kent, OH: Kent State University Press.

Weslager, C. A. (1974). "Enrollment List of Chippewa and Delaware-Munsies Living in Franklin County, Kansas, May 31, 1900". Kansas Historical Quarterly 40 (2): 234–40.

External links

"A Fragment of Kansas Land History: The Disposal of the Christian Indian Tract" from the Kansas Historical Quarterly.
Treaty with the Chippewa, Etc., 1859
Chippewa-Munsee Genealogy

Categories:

Native American religion
Great Lakes tribes
Native American tribes in New Jersey
Franklin County, Kansas
Wyandotte County, Kansas
Shawano County, Wisconsin
First Nations in Ontario
Lenape
History of the America (North) Province of the Moravian Church
gumbootmama is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #8
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 7,124.21
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo_rose View Post
any info? This is for an emailer to our site as well.

Thanks in advance. :)
There are some Indians who live in Pennsylvania who are fantastic powwow dancers:

Josh Hill (Lakota/Seneca),
Rebecca Blalog (Lakota/Mohawk)
Katie Issenock (Lakota).

They all keep it real!
Old 01-05-2014, 08:40 PM   #9
Pow Wow Visitor

Cynical is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 112.00
Hm, Chief Sitting Owl is in PA, right now.
Cynical is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-06-2014, 11:39 AM   #10
I pull your leg out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical View Post
Hm, Chief Sitting Owl is in PA, right now.
Chief of what tribe?
windanncer likes this.

Sponsored Links