Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree82Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Ask PowWows.com A Question For Non-Native People... A Question For Non-Native People...

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-30-2014, 01:00 AM   #221
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Daveyo is off the scaleDaveyo is off the scaleDaveyo is off the scaleDaveyo is off the scaleDaveyo is off the scaleDaveyo is off the scaleDaveyo is off the scaleDaveyo is off the scaleDaveyo is off the scaleDaveyo is off the scaleDaveyo is off the scaleDaveyo is off the scaleDaveyo is off the scaleDaveyo is off the scaleDaveyo is off the scaleDaveyo is off the scale
Credits: 374.57
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigoKumeyaay View Post
PBS - Frontier House: Frontier Life

"While the Federal government never officially sanctioned a policy regarding deliberate destruction of buffalo, there were many who noted that the elimination of the buffalo would also lead to the elimination of the "Indian problem." In 1874, the Secretary of the Interior stated, "The buffalo are disappearing rapidly, but not faster than I desire. I regard the destruction of such game as Indians subsist upon as facilitating the policy of the government, of destroying their hunting habits, coercing them on reservations, and compelling them to begin to adopt the habits of civilization."

Similarly, Senator James Throckmorton of Texas reasoned, "It would be a great step forward in the civilization of the Indians and the preservation of peace on the [frontier] if there was not a buffalo in existence."

Throckmorton's wish was very nearly realized. By the 1880s, the number of buffalo on the Plains dropped off dramatically. In 1882, nearly 200,000 buffalo hides were shipped East from Dakota Territory. One year later, the number had dropped to 40,000. In 1884, the hides from Dakota bison barely filled a single freight car.

In 1883, the year in which FRONTIER HOUSE is set, the last two major herds are believed to have been killed on the Northern Plains, one by Sitting Bull's Sioux and the other by white hunters. At the same time, it was estimated that there were 500,000 cattle grazing on the bison's former habitat in Eastern Montana alone.

The evidence of the buffalo's reign on the prairies was evident for years afterward. A.M. Bede, a judge from North Dakota, wrote that "The country out here looked like a charnel house with so many skulls staring at a man, and so many bones that newcomers felt nervous, and in some cases, could hardly plow the land."

After a century of belated protective measures and conservation efforts, an estimated 150,000 bison currently live in the United States, in public and private herds.

Some others might think this is a red bead question but as I see and read here I am learning, a bit day by day.

Here is what I know from the damn history books from school. No need to tell me of its propaganda uses OK. White man come to America, begged the Indians to allow them to settle along the coast and made peace pacts with them. Shortly thereafter, there is a huge blank in the history which then jumps to the Revolutionary war. There were reported skirmishes here and there in the books as I saw written but very little detail so to speak. Such information was written by the white man as to how they saw it to be, and not how the Indians at that time saw it to be.

As white man kept expanding westward, they kept pushing the Indians further back westward. A lot of fighting took place between you and them by this point. Not much was recorded either except that white man giving their own version to be put to the books.

Somewhere along the lines in the span of 70 years or so, which leads to the information above which was kindly given, I would like to know just what was the trigger point that caused the white people and the Indians to have so much damn hatred between each other?

I wasn't there, and there is no information given in the history books when I went to school. If I asked a white person for such answer, I will get a different answer blah blah blah, which I know will not be true. Everything given was white man this and white man that and its their own version. So much being one sided its ridiculous.

Something tells me that maybe a big mistake was made at the very beginning and I think it might possibly could have changed the course of history to something else. In other words, what would America be today had the Indian Tribes forbidden white man to settle along the east coast or had they wiped them out once they reached shore. An interesting thought to say the least.

Eventually sooner or later you would have had to encounter them. Its not a secret at all that Spain especially with their infamous religious buffoons invaded a lot of territory such as Central America and South America and the Carribean, and stole much of the wealth claiming it to be Spains property, and at the same time wiped out many civilizations that existed for hundreds and thousands of years and pushed their paganistic religion upon many lands.

Even today when they find sunken ships having all the gold, first thing Spain does is they claim its their gold. In reality I think that gold belongs to the Indian Nations because the Spanish morons stole it from you. When they left port in Europe, they did not have such gold. On the way back to Spain they had the gold inside their ships. This is well documented. So where do you think they got it from. See my point.

Don't think your alone. The same kind of scenario was previously played out in the Middle East and Europe involving the Israelites vs the Arabs, vs Greece and vs Rome.

Even today there are territorial fights with internal conflicts happening around the world. It has not stopped. Its a spiral to an abyss that is going to lead to one ultimate conclusion most unfortunately. I give it less than 200 years for that ELE to take place. This is based at the present pace its going.

Sigh, in my opinion, all humans really got nothing to be proud of no matter what. If we cannot learn to live in peace and be in harmony the last 4,000 years surely we cannot do such even if given another 4,000 years. Only a supernatural intervention can stop this insidious spiral to the abyss or save us from being utterly wiped out.

Regards
Daveyo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-2014, 01:48 PM   #222
Pow Wow Visitor

squirrelness has a reputation beyond reputesquirrelness has a reputation beyond reputesquirrelness has a reputation beyond reputesquirrelness has a reputation beyond reputesquirrelness has a reputation beyond reputesquirrelness has a reputation beyond reputesquirrelness has a reputation beyond reputesquirrelness has a reputation beyond reputesquirrelness has a reputation beyond reputesquirrelness has a reputation beyond reputesquirrelness has a reputation beyond reputesquirrelness has a reputation beyond reputesquirrelness has a reputation beyond reputesquirrelness has a reputation beyond reputesquirrelness has a reputation beyond reputesquirrelness has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 254.12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzzeQ4 View Post
A Question For Non-Native People...
...who dance in Regalia or want to.

There are many threads here at powwows.com about non-Native people who are wanting to dance or have regalia, or who do this already. There are 2 currant threads on this issue.

The common theme is that you (the non-Native person) feels that we ( the Native people) should help & support you in this because of the great respect you have for us.

If I were to paraphrase these thread it would read like this:
You: "please let me dance / help with my regalia"
Us: "no"
You "please, please, please"
Us: "no, it's our culture, not yours"
You "but I need to learn...I respect you" (either angry or whinning)
Us: "No, no white people, no,no, no"
You: "your being rude...please, please,please" etc.

Here's the question. We keep saying no, you keep not listening, how is this respect?

If I had done this to my Mother I would have been in trouble for being disrespectful. If I had then gone and asked my Dad, I'd have been in bigger trouble. If I had then said "Fine, but I'm doing it anyway" the sh!t would have hit the fan!

I have light skin and copper-ish hair and green eyes. I am half Ojibwa and a quarter Cayuga and a quarter Irish. I am on a life- long journey to learning my Ojibwa side and living it as well. I want to live traditionally. I am 17 years old. I am in the process of dancing old style/ traditional Jingle Dress. What would you do if you saw me dancing Jingle dress at a powwow. Being light skinned and all, What would you honestly do?

- Jessica J.
squirrelness is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-2014, 11:56 PM   #223
Pow Wow Committee

gilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond repute
gilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 70,238.55
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelness View Post
I have light skin and copper-ish hair and green eyes. I am half Ojibwa and a quarter Cayuga and a quarter Irish. I am on a life- long journey to learning my Ojibwa side and living it as well. I want to live traditionally. I am 17 years old. I am in the process of dancing old style/ traditional Jingle Dress. What would you do if you saw me dancing Jingle dress at a powwow. Being light skinned and all, What would you honestly do?

- Jessica J.
A lot of powwows will require you show your CDIB card with blood quantum e.g. minimum of 1/4 blood before they allow you to dance.

If you dance well, with respect, and for the right reasons, what does it matter? From the sounds of it, plenty of young men will be trying to snag you anyhow LOL.

And don't mind Harland.
windanncer likes this.

"Show me somethin"

Last edited by gilisi; 06-22-2014 at 04:06 AM..
gilisi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-29-2014, 06:27 AM   #224
Tiny Tot Dancer

Mogs has a reputation beyond reputeMogs has a reputation beyond reputeMogs has a reputation beyond reputeMogs has a reputation beyond reputeMogs has a reputation beyond reputeMogs has a reputation beyond reputeMogs has a reputation beyond reputeMogs has a reputation beyond reputeMogs has a reputation beyond reputeMogs has a reputation beyond reputeMogs has a reputation beyond reputeMogs has a reputation beyond reputeMogs has a reputation beyond reputeMogs has a reputation beyond reputeMogs has a reputation beyond reputeMogs has a reputation beyond reputeMogs has a reputation beyond reputeMogs has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,220.27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyo View Post
...Only a supernatural intervention can stop this insidious spiral to the abyss or save us from being utterly wiped out.
Thatís a very bleak view to take. Sadly, I think youíre maybe correct. The world has ways to correct excesses. No divine intervention is required.

The most likely one that I have read is the eruption of one of Icelandís strato-volcanoes. We had a taster a few years ago when all air travel was stopped over Europe, thereís not a moment here in Wales (except 100% cloud) when you can't see an aeroplane, see itís vapour trail or hear one, it was weird. It appears that itís certain that such an eruption will occur; the when is the unknown, but very very soon on a geological timescale.

The first world societies will collapse extremely quickly, deaths will be in the millions. Societies that are not so dependent upon technology will have a better chance to survive. These are mostly below the tropic of cancer. We ďwhiteĒ societies have no chance. The only things left of western technology will be our junk on the Moon and Mars. Maybe this is just deserts!

K
Mogs is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-19-2019, 07:15 PM   #225
Pow Wow Visitor

Katsy Ann is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 1,502.21
Rude whites

Hey, just so you know - I have had kind and wonderful treatment by 1st Nations People at pow wows, and I have been sneered at. I'm white, and I get why ndns hate whites.Sometimes, I hate my ancestors for.... well you know, what they did to Indigenous Peoples! I would never, ever, disrespect any peoples groups on purpose. If I come across as ignorant - well, its probably because I am. All I know about ndns was learned or given to me by two great Natives who befriended me.MY MOTTO IS - KINDNESS,PASS IT ON!
wardancer and Spiritflight like this.
Katsy Ann is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-02-2020, 06:09 PM   #226
Pow Wow Visitor

kitadisa is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 110.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzzeQ4 View Post
I believe you, it must be a little embarrassing, when your acting (in a way i would consider) all respectful
There are many threads here at powwows.com about non-Native people who are wanting to dance or have regalia, or who do this already. There are 2 currant threads on this issue.
kitadisa is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links