PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Ask PowWows.com (http://forums.powwows.com/f73/)
-   -   Questions on views of eagle species (http://forums.powwows.com/f73/questions-views-eagle-species-71212/)

Mamaquit_Sipi 08-29-2018 12:34 AM

Questions on views of eagle species

Hello everyone. Hope you all are doing well.

I had been thinking on this for a while and asked some elders,
Are the golden eagle and bald eagle on the same level or is one above the other in spiritual power? They told me that they are on the same level in our beliefs. Is it the same for every tribe or are they different? Same with hawks, are there species that are used more or are more prevalent in your tribal dances and cultural events? Hope I asked clearly.

solitare 08-29-2018 06:04 PM

:thinking:

Can we have a different question please?

Mamaquit_Sipi 08-30-2018 03:49 PM

I guess I mean to say which species of hawk and eagle do different tribes seem to use the most? Where I'm at many people just use bald eagle and red tailed hawk. I was wondering what types of feathers do you see used more or are more common in your tribe/ area?

Mamaquit_Sipi 08-30-2018 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solitare (Post 1636985)
:thinking:

Can we have a different question please?

Sorry, this was a late post must not have been awake enough to type it correctly. In my area you see more bald eagle and red tailed hawk feathers than other species and I was asking what is more common in your area/tribe. Do you use certain species of a bird more than the other? For example out in the western and southwestern area you see more of golden eagle feathers being used over bald eagle. Or certain peoples use red flickers over yellow flickers. What is more common in your area being in use, and is there a special preference or reason with different locations? Hope that is better. It seemed like a good question at the time.

Joe's Dad 09-03-2018 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mamaquit_Sipi (Post 1636975)
Hello everyone. Hope you all are doing well.

I had been thinking on this for a while and asked some elders,
Are the golden eagle and bald eagle on the same level or is one above the other in spiritual power? They told me that they are on the same level in our beliefs. Is it the same for every tribe or are they different? Same with hawks, are there species that are used more or are more prevalent in your tribal dances and cultural events? Hope I asked clearly.

I wonder why you would ask of, and accept answers, from people you don't even know when you stated you asked some elders. Why didn't you accept the answer of the elders?

subeeds 09-04-2018 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe's Dad (Post 1637023)

I wonder why you would ask of, and accept answers, from people you don't even know when you stated you asked some elders. Why didn't you accept the answer of the elders?

She's asking about tribal differences, JD. She seems to have accepted what her elders told her about her tribe, but is curious about other tribes.

WhoMe 09-10-2018 01:00 PM

Like many things used by Native peoples, eagle feathers are more prevalent where one species is more available. Golden eagles live near mountain areas. They feed primarily on meat. Bald eagles like to fish and are found near the water. Hence, in the SW there are an abundance of Golden eagles. In the east there is an abundance of bald eagles. Look at the dancers from the southwest and the east coast to see the proof.