• 2 Post By wardancer
  • 2 Post By wardancer
  • 1 Post By Niigig
  • 3 Post By Joe's Dad
  • 3 Post By wardancer
  • 4 Post By milehighsalute
  • 3 Post By AmigoKumeyaay
  • 1 Post By neling4

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Ask PowWows.com Symbol of harmony Symbol of harmony

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-21-2016, 02:23 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
JackHam is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 144.01
Savings: 0.00
Symbol of harmony

Hello folks! Some time ago I was sent a link to an article about harmony by a good friend of mine.
Native American Religions: Balance and Harmony | Native American Netroots
I loved what I read, and I later came upon what was broadly called a native symbol for harmony (Im not too savy enough on computers to add the image to this, but if you google those words the image comes up).

I would like to consider getting this tattooed on me, and I would like to get any information about this image from those who might have knowledge to share. Who uses this image? etc.

I have no native genes in me (I am german and irish), and I would like to know if this would be considered an okay thing to do. I would like to practice the utmost respect and humility when considering this symbol as a tattoo. Thank you for any insight you may have.

Love -Jack
JackHam is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-21-2016, 03:15 PM   #2
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 54,300.58
First, welcome to powwows.com.

To misquote Yogi Berra -- it's Groundhog Day all over again.

Please read, particularly the stuff I wrote in the first thread about sources of symbols identified as Native and appropriation:

Another contravercial tattoo question.

The Mountain symbol?

A question about tattoos

As for the link in your post, well what can I say about a 1500 word summary of the religious diversity of Native North America... Superficial springs to mind.

Let me illustrate: I read this really cool webpage about this European religion. They have lots of demigods that you pray to for different things, like San Francesco d'Assisi for protecting animals. And there is a goddess named Virgin Mary. They have a ceremony where they believe they eat the body of one of their gods.

Did I miss a few things? Did I distort the heck out of major cultural influence in the West?

Our cultures are not easily known. There is no book or webpage or "Takes-American-Express shaman" that can give you a true insight into our ways and beliefs. We guard these things jealously and do not readily share them with outsiders. Not out of racism or spite, but because our original instructions and ethical systems teach respect and caution around the sacred, by restricting religious knowledge to those who need to know.

To learn a portion of the teachings of a single tribe takes us a lifetime. It takes outsiders years of exposure and community acceptance to gain an understanding of aspects of a community's lifeways. What you get on the web is at best a faint reflection, at worst a lie.

Consider then whether:

1) You have a right to use our symbols (should you actually have stumbled on a legitimate one)?

2) You want to go to the grave with a lie or incomplete truth written on your flesh?
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-21-2016, 03:40 PM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
First, welcome to powwows.com.

To misquote Yogi Berra -- it's Groundhog Day all over again.

Please read, particularly the stuff I wrote in the first thread about sources of symbols identified as Native and appropriation:

Another contravercial tattoo question.

The Mountain symbol?

A question about tattoos

As for the link in your post, well what can I say about a 1500 word summary of the religious diversity of Native North America... Superficial springs to mind.

Let me illustrate: I read this really cool webpage about this European religion. They have lots of demigods that you pray to for different things, like San Francesco d'Assisi for protecting animals. And there is a goddess named Virgin Mary. They have a ceremony where they believe they eat the body of one of their gods.

Did I miss a few things? Did I distort the heck out of major cultural influence in the West?

Our cultures are not easily known. There is no book or webpage or "Takes-American-Express shaman" that can give you a true insight into our ways and beliefs. We guard these things jealously and do not readily share them with outsiders. Not out of racism or spite, but because our original instructions and ethical systems teach respect and caution around the sacred, by restricting religious knowledge to those who need to know.

To learn a portion of the teachings of a single tribe takes us a lifetime. It takes outsiders years of exposure and community acceptance to gain an understanding of aspects of a community's lifeways. What you get on the web is at best a faint reflection, at worst a lie.

Consider then whether:

1) You have a right to use our symbols (should you actually have stumbled on a legitimate one)?

2) You want to go to the grave with a lie or incomplete truth written on your flesh?

I think that was a fantastic response, and I want to thank you for your insight. I think it would be more appropriate for me to create my own image from my life and experiences to represent what harmony and balance means to me as an individual.
Thank you! -Jack
Spiritflight likes this.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:43 PM   #4
Standing Rock

Items PresentDevilElephant
Credits: 87,743.75
Savings: 1.00
xTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond repute
xTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond repute
symbol-schmybol
jack be nimble
windanncer and Itzhecatl like this.
xTekno is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-21-2016, 03:48 PM   #5
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 54,719.07
Quote:

"Takes-American-Express shaman"

I thought that guy was your cuzzin !
(wd runs from the room ducking as OLChemist's shoe bounces off the wall)wd calls back" That's not being very harmonious !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care

Last edited by wardancer; 06-21-2016 at 04:36 PM..
wardancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-21-2016, 08:16 PM   #6
Some donkus

Niigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,076.49
Holy crap, you guys, I understand that it gets old after a while, but jiminy crickets, that guy was being so nice and polite, and genuinely concerned about doing the right thing... Did you really have to respond like that?
Niigig is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-22-2016, 12:33 AM   #7
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
I thought the OP took it quite well !
I just like teasing my good friend OC. Did you read the same thread as the rest of us ?
windanncer and Itzhecatl like this.

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 06-22-2016, 03:53 AM   #8
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 54,300.58
I admit I was mildly hyperbolic, but I didn't think I was too harsh. My apologies if I offended. Chalk it up to unpaid cultural educator fatigue.

As for Wardancer, as much trouble as i have finding shoes that fit, I don't throw my shoes over such minor provocation. And we can't pick our cousins, LOL.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-22-2016, 08:15 AM   #9
Pow Wow Visitor

I think all responses were fair, and they were certainly appreciated. Sometimes us white folks need a shoe thrown at us to remind us to stay on track! Thanks everyone
WhoMe and Niigig like this.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:43 AM   #10
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 110,775.12
Quote:
I admit I was mildly hyperbolic, but I didn't think I was too harsh. My apologies if I offended. Chalk it up to unpaid cultural educator fatigue.

As for Wardancer, as much trouble as i have finding shoes that fit, I don't throw my shoes over such minor provocation. And we can't pick our cousins, LOL.
I was hyperbolic once. Took some medicine and was fine a couple of days later.

When I read this thread about harmony and tattoos, I thought of Rodney King. The cops tattooed the sh!t out of him and then he says, "Can't we all get along?".

What is the harmony symbol for black people?

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-22-2016, 01:33 PM   #11
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Dad View Post
I was hyperbolic once. Took some medicine and was fine a couple of days later.

When I read this thread about harmony and tattoos, I thought of Rodney King. The cops tattooed the sh!t out of him and then he says, "Can't we all get along?".

What is the harmony symbol for black people?
Hmmmmm.........
Attached Thumbnails
obamamelon.jpg   a56ba17329906108.jpg  
windanncer and milehighsalute like this.

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 06-22-2016, 01:36 PM   #12
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
Sorry , sometimes you just can't help yourself !

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 06-22-2016, 10:51 PM   #13
Some donkus

Niigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond reputeNiigig has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,076.49
Sometimes I assume that everyone is as overly sensitive and easily butthurt as I am. Whoops. Sorry.
wardancer likes this.
Niigig is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2016, 12:13 AM   #14
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 110,775.12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardancer View Post
Sorry , sometimes you just can't help yourself !
And then they can't say anything cuz you're an oppressed minority.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2016, 09:49 AM   #15
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Dad View Post
And then they can't say anything cuz you're an oppressed minority.
I think I'm chronically oppressed ! Is there a good medicine for that ? Are there specialists that can treat it ? Can I get disability because of it ? Inquiring minds need to know !

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 06-24-2016, 12:50 PM   #16
Dances With Fat Chicks

milehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
milehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 31,208.10
jackham I think the only symbol that universally means strength/harmony yet expresses our sadness would be a wounded bear..........get a tattoo of a wounded bear

take pics and attach it please when you are done and show us all here
Old 06-28-2016, 04:20 PM   #17
On The Rocks

Items ElephantTreasure ChestPresentPresent
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 91,795.72
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackHam View Post
I think that was a fantastic response, and I want to thank you for your insight. I think it would be more appropriate for me to create my own image from my life and experiences to represent what harmony and balance means to me as an individual.
Thank you! -Jack

since you are part Irish, consider the celtic/gael dual spiral symbol meaning "balance & harmony" going back thousands of years
windanncer, Itzhecatl and Niigig like this.
AmigoKumeyaay is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-01-2016, 09:20 PM   #18
Eskimo wannabe

vBActivity Stats
Achievements Happy 10th AnniversaryHappy 5th AnniversaryEverybody Loves Me!Posting GodThe Popular One
neling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond repute
neling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond repute
I would just like to say, ALL ndns are harmonious.
windanncer likes this.
neling4 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-04-2016, 11:18 AM   #19
Pow Wow Visitor

Merrikat50 is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 379.38
I think OL chemist did a good job explaining things and Jack, I'm part Irish as well so I suggest looking up some Celtic Knotwork for a tattoo Idea or maybe the word"Harmony in Gaelic.
Merrikat50 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-10-2017, 07:53 PM   #20
Pow Wow Visitor

Dylan123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 102.00
How can i find out my harmony symbol?
Dylan123 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links