Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Ask PowWows.com Understanding Native American Culture Understanding Native American Culture

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
Wisdom Seeker

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
StormChaser89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 143.02
Savings: 0.00
Question Understanding Native American Culture

Hello everyone! I am a new member and I am looking forward to getting involved with this community. I shall share a little about myself and what has brought me here.

I am looking for Native Americans who are willing to socialize and take me to new levels of understanding of his/her heritage (any tribe). I believe in open lines of communication with honesty, especially with the life-long friendships and relationships I am seeking within this culture. Unfortunately, I am limited to such relationships due to the lack of the Native American population in this part of the country. There are 2 pow-wow's a year within a 100 miles radius. My heart, body and soul aches as I go through this journey seeking new knowledge and social situations. Not being able to obtain this knowledge so freely as others, I become more passionate but with a hidden sadness and feeling of emptiness. I do not dance nor have any regalia. My knowledge about the Native American people is poor but my willingness and spirit to learn is strong.

After reading the one post in regards to non-native's being wannabe's, I can honestly say that I had second thoughts of posting my current situation. If it was meant to be, I would have been born a Native American and this is not the case. I am comfortable in my own "skin" and do not plan on wearing yours'. I am not one to browse the internet for weeks at a time nor am I one to go to the local public library and stock-up on books regarding the Native American way of life. Maybe I am just in denial that maybe what I am seeking is not available to me in a social situation. I am looking for hands-on, social and intellectual interaction.

Any/all advice or ideas on how I can obtain such knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
StormChaser89 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2012, 12:40 PM   #2
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 42,034.34
Savings: 0.00
Hi Welcome to the site.

Have you considered in your quest for information to enroll in a Native Studies course? There are many schools that offer correspondence courses. The province of Ontario (your neigbour) has a huge list of studies.

http://www.canadian-universities.net...s-Ontario.html

You could subscribe to the Canadian Journal of Native Studies as that publication covers contemporary issues facing First Nation People and you could also subscribed to the Native American Journal.

I would encourage you to actually do some reading - read books, essays and opinion papers authored by First Nation people. Read the treaties, the legal cases surrounding those treaties. You can find very good case briefs in the Native Law Journals.

http://www.canadian-universities.net...e_Studies.html
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.
yaahl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links