Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree96Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Ask PowWows.com Unsupervised Children Unsupervised Children

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2016, 11:55 AM   #21
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 49,303.16
Savings: 1.00
The only thing worse than white guys b*tchin' about ndn kids, is ndns b*tchin' about white guys b*tchin' about ndn kids !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
wardancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2016, 12:06 PM   #22
I pull your leg out!

Items Treasure ChestElephantPresentPresent
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 71,475.42
Savings: 0.00
I've been to a lot of powwows as a spectator and a dancer and have never seen the level of destruction that you describe. The worst I've seen is kids running out into pathways without looking and nearly getting hit by a golf cart or they just run through our canopies. If you're a dancer you eventually figure out how to lay your canopy out in a way that kids will just avoid running through it. We set up our chairs towards the edges and fragile items stay towards the center. With the chairs around the edges kids can't run under the canopy.

If you are worried about your power cords and generator you may want to learn how to properly manage your cables and safety practices for such equipment. If you are worried about the cords getting damaged then buy some heavy duty cable covers or hammer some wooden stakes into the ground around the generator and between the generator and your canopy then and run some caution or bright flagging tape around them. Basically create barriers that will dissuade the kids from running into that area. No matter what you should always keep the generator protected.

Dust! What outdoor powwow doesn't have dust!

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/

Last edited by Toolbox; 05-03-2016 at 12:09 PM..
Toolbox is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2016, 06:20 PM   #23
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,045.53
My pet peeve is vendors that sell silly string and toy weapons. Kudos to Bennys that has activites to keep kids busy - carnival rides, games, and snacks. I'll take cotton candy mess over silly string mess any day!
windanncer and subeeds like this.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:08 AM   #24
On The Rocks

Items ElephantTreasure ChestPresentPresent
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 85,198.26
Savings: 1.00
There are some problems with the "5 Finger Discount" at powwows

Young Teens are a big problem...but I've also seen an elder chased down by another elder

vendor...

Recently, at Sherman Indian School, vendors I know (Native) got hit by teens

the scam is to pick up one item (earrings, bracelet), then ask the vendor how much is the

item hanging over there, (making the vendor turn around to look).

the kids then drop the item in their hand down to the ground. Another teen will pick it up.

So, this vendor went out of the booth, confronted the teens, and said "If you really need

that, then just keep it, for free". 30 minutes later, a different teen returned the item for

their embarrassed friends.

Vendors pay big money, up front, non-refundable, to have a seller space at powwows.

Those vending fees support the powwow (if not siphoned off elsewhere )
AmigoKumeyaay is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-31-2016, 09:48 AM   #25
Bead Slinger

BDI's is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 837.61
Quote:
Originally Posted by KokopelliOH View Post
...Maybe they wanted to hear the drums and singers, but not the screaming kids....

...Maybe they just got tired of paying for the “privilege” of being your unwilling babysitters, and your pow wow has hit the list of ‘never again’ events.

As a bead vendor, I consider dealing with children as part of being there. I bought some of those tailgater tables that adjust up high enough to be out of reach of little hands. Older younguns are going to play and what they do behind the trader village is none of my business so I don't try to influence them.

What you describe is something that doesn't really bother me. Maybe the difference is in what we vend. I sell beads and hides to regalia makers. The tourists don't even browse my setup. what I have to sell doesn't interest people who want a finished product.

That being the case, my customers are regular pow wow goers who know the younguns and their parents, for the most part. They will call down any rowdy behavior of the young attendees near them. At any rate, my customers aren't going to be put off by what you describe.

If your setup ain't tough enough, or if you're not of an age to get the respect of the younguns, you can work on your setup, and try standing on your position as an adult in front of the young people. It looks like you're kind of mad about this since you wrote "vendor's ghetto" and "wild herd". You seem to feel like you've been babysitting other attendees' younguns.

Sorry this happened to you. You have to be tough if you're going to hang on and keep vending. If you put that pow wow on your list of strike-offs, it's your loss as well as theirs.
windanncer likes this.
BDI's is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links