Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree69Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Ask PowWows.com Why does Native american culture exist in US, but very rare in Mexico? Why does Native american culture exist in US, but very rare in Mexico?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-27-2014, 02:18 PM   #21
On The Rocks

Items ElephantTreasure ChestPresentPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 99,523.66
Savings: 1.00
Hot Thread Alert

HOT THREAD ALERT !!

Why Is That?
AmigoKumeyaay is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-27-2014, 02:30 PM   #22
On The Rocks

AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
The majority of Mexican mestizo society became Catholic,

they looked down upon the religion/lifestyle of the Indios.

Nobody gave the Maya credit for the concept of "zero",

and their ability to map the stars, with a calendar of

future eclipses that Europeans thought were "work of the devil"

So, it is the dominant culture, by force, pushing down on the

minority because they choose to follow their ancestors' ways.

At least the Indios are living good lives, because the rest of Mexico

is corrupt, or part of the Cartels. Vendidos Sell-outs.
Old 11-28-2014, 02:51 AM   #23
Pow Wow Committee

gilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond repute
gilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 67,239.98
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeenaBear View Post
I think the questions presented in this thread are great and eye opening! If you have any further information, I encourage you to share it with the group. It is rather interesting that the Native culture south of the border is very different than in the states. I mean, the Pueblo Indians are a border nation. I wonder how many went south of the Rio Grande and claimed to be Mexican...?

Do you? I don't know. After reading the OP's initial post, it feels as though someone started an open critique of Mexican food based on a dining experience at taco bell; or started a summation of NDN spirituality after a reverent viewing of dances with wolves.

Maybe I have become too cynical.

One of my closest friends is from the Popoluca tribe of Mexico. He is proud of his heritage, grew up speaking his language, and is familiar with the unwritten knowledge of his own people going back centuries. We are as close as brothers. I don't know why I'm even sharing this. I am very familiar with the struggles he has experienced in his lifetime for being 'Indio', some of them shared. Neither he, or any of my Mexican family has been involved in gangs. He has never pretended to be something or someone he is not. He has never been to a powwow, or hung a dream catcher in his car. he has paid taxes every year he's been here.

I couldn't be more proud of anyone. I look up to him like an older brother. We have referred to each other as 'Indio' as a term of endearment, and we will continue to do so.

Someone started a thread in these forums in the past titled "Do white people think their race is important?" or something to that effect. I want to say I believe EVERY race is important, as long as there are good people in it.

So, finally, I guess I want to say to the OP...If you want to know about Mexicans...go to Mexico, or even to college. Don't ask rhetorical questions packed with accusation towards a people not even present to mount a defense.

And for crying out loud @CatMan, before you ask one more question, give some information about yourself, and thank people who take the time to respond to you. Who are you? where are you from? Are your people in touch with their roots? Are you? It's no wonder no one has answered your questions to your satisfaction.

"Show me somethin"
gilisi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-03-2014, 12:30 PM   #24
Dances With Fat Chicks

milehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
milehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 31,977.76
much of the reason is that the history of mexico itself is very brutal, even more brutal than US history

while the US policy was removal......the mexican policies were TOTAL EXTERMINATION......carried about by the descendants of a few tribes and spanish mixing nonetheless

many mexican people here north of the border do not know their tribal roots, because unlike the US, mexico didnt want to be bothered with census taking or birth records......that is what opens the door for all the "SUPERNDN" radicals in the US.....the fact that many of them are just now waking up to the fact that they have ancestory.....but that is pretty much ALL they know and not much else, and they flaunt it very obnoxiously......for years they been ashamed of their native blood and now they interfuse radical immigration politics with "movements" based on the only accomplishment they ever done......being born brown....i kinda feel sorry for them.....they are a people who been TWICE colonized

now back to mexico....there are many places in mexico where the indigenous ARE still practicing their own ways.......still observing all their tribal customs......a very interesting history too.........as long as its not being told by USA born chicanos of mexican descent that is

while US and canadian natives been brutalized and subjugated by the white man, the injuns south of the border been brutalized and subjugated by people who look just like them.....again desendants with BOTH euro and ndn blood........so hats why many of them dont even know who their enemy is

but to kinda answer your question.......ndn heritage is alive and well in mexico
Old 12-03-2014, 02:34 PM   #25
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 127,514.31
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatMan View Post
I mentioned this topic briefly in the other thread I created, but I'll elaborate on it.

Most mexicans are either native or part native, yet very few Mexicans (some Mexicans in southern mexico near central america-thats about it) still live in tribes and practice traditional culture. Native Americans are a tiny minority in the US and Canada, yet most of them belong to tribes and practice traditional culture. They arent assimilated like Mexicans are- and Mexico is a a country where most people are amerindian. Why is that? I think it's kinda sad how native american culture is practically super rare in Mexico but is very commonin other parts of the continent.

Northern and central Mexicans are related to the same indian tribes who live in the american southwest (like navajo, etc)-yet while southwest indians still hold onto their native culture and identity-Mexicans dont. I dont know any Mexicans who identify themselves as part of a tribe or anything like that. Apache - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yet in those states of Mexico and people with ancestry from N Mexico, they dont identify themselves as a part of native american tribes. They culturally have no connection to that now.

According to this map, the Yuman and Pimnan native american tribes of the US also were widespread all over Northwestern Mexico. Mexicans techncially are native americans in the sense that they belong to the same tribes of natives that lived in the US.

So why do you think Native American culture from tribes is alive and thriving in Arizona and the western US states, but is practically functionally extinct in Northern Mexico?
Why is you guys come in here, try to talk like you are knowledgeable, then leave?

Come back and tell me about you.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-04-2014, 06:47 AM   #26

Items TreePresentChange User Title
Credits: 15,285.41
Quote:
Why does Native american culture exist in US, but very rare in Mexico?
May I squeak in a word? How do you know? Have you travelled Mexico trying to find ndn's practicing native american culture there?

Perhaps they like to stay away more from non natives than north american ndn's.
Spiritflight is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-04-2014, 01:50 PM   #27
Dances With Fat Chicks

milehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritflight View Post
May I squeak in a word? How do you know? Have you travelled Mexico trying to find ndn's practicing native american culture there?

Perhaps they like to stay away more from non natives than north american ndn's.
define "stay away"?
Spiritflight likes this.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:25 PM   #28
On The Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Dad View Post
Why is you guys come in here, try to talk like you are knowledgeable, then leave?

Come back and tell me about you.
He found some cannibals
windanncer and subeeds like this.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:35 PM   #29
Dances With Fat Chicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigoKumeyaay View Post
He found some cannibals
or maybe the cannibals found him?
Old 12-05-2014, 06:49 AM   #30

Items TreePresentChange User Title
Credits: 15,285.41
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighsalute View Post
define "stay away"?
To keep to themselves whatever people may think that should be kept away from the eyes and ears of other people since it's not meant for "outsiders" to participate in cultural stuff that only belong to the ndn tribal way of life. If my explanation was not good enough in this case, fine, can't say it any better.
wardancer and windanncer like this.
Spiritflight is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2014, 01:32 AM   #31
Pow Wow Visitor

CatMan is off the scaleCatMan is off the scaleCatMan is off the scaleCatMan is off the scaleCatMan is off the scaleCatMan is off the scaleCatMan is off the scaleCatMan is off the scale
Credits: 232.03
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanjica_the_one View Post
Because the northern plains and southern plains tribes fought tooth and nail to survive, we killed and we were murdered. The Mexican tribes didn't seem to have the instinct to keep their ways. Why is that?
Are you asking a rhetorical question?
CatMan is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2014, 04:03 PM   #32
Pow Wow Visitor

Items PresentDolphinDevil
wanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond repute
wanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 36,829.89
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatMan View Post
Are you asking a rhetorical question?
Why is that?
Old 01-10-2015, 04:16 PM   #33
Pow Wow Visitor

epsilonremy is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 113.00
Thats very interesting. My girlfriend is Mestizo but she grew up on a reservation in Montana. She said she feels more Native than American. She is very rooted in Native culture

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigoKumeyaay View Post
500 years ago, Mexico was all Native. Then the Spanish invaded in 1521.

After centuries of Spanish colonization, the new Mestizo ethnicity dominated.

The racial divisions of "La Casta" (caste system) ranked Indios to bottom of colonial society.

Mestizos that recognized their own Indian blood would be lowering themselves. to this day many "laugh" when you mention if they have Indian blood, or ancestors. They consider Indians to be "backwards" and uneducated.

There are many Mexican tribes that still live as their ancestors did: Tarahumara, Wixarika (Huichol) Mixteco, etc, etc etc

JTWIZ.COM

Twitter @ jtwiz
epsilonremy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links