Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By Uza
  • 1 Post By Spiritflight
  • 2 Post By LISA IRONMAKER
  • 3 Post By AmigoKumeyaay

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Ask PowWows.com Would appreciate help: New Member Would appreciate help: New Member

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2015, 06:13 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Uza is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 110.00
Savings: 0.00
Would appreciate help: New Member

Hey there everyone,

Let me start off by saying I'm Mexican and have no tribal affiliation. As most of you already know, the prevalent culture in Mexico is Mestizo Culture. Although some here may dislike said culture, it's all I know, and who I am. If asked I've always said I'm of Native ancestry...genetically it's what predominates, and it's phenotypically obvious. But as many of you may know, Natives in Mexico were shuffled around from region to region, tribe to tribe. Ultimately they intermixed and many lost their tribal identity. I'm here to ask about that. I'll never know what tribes I descend from, since the reality is that I probably descend from a couple. Those that were common to the regions which my parents come from however, were the Chichimeca peoples, Purepecha, and Otomi. I've taken a genetic test, and depending on the calculator I'm anywhere from 50-60% Native. I recently ran my data through a calculator on GED match however, and I was surprised to find that my closest population matches were actually Southwestern US people. I know the border split many tribes. But my ancestry is from Central-Western Mexico, yet my matches are far from there. I've read a bit and have seen that the Chichimeca were said to be a semi-nomadic tribe. I've also read on other forums that some tribes which settled in Mexico originally came from what today is the US. These are Eurocentric forums though, and I don't know how much faith to place on that information. As I've already said, I'm a Mexican Mestizo and have no shame in saying that. I also feel at home saying that the majority of my genome, is comprised of people Native to this land. But I stop short of saying I'm Native American, because it's not my place to claim part in something that through faith or simply good/bad luck (depending on your view) has been ripped from our (Mexican Mestizo) identity. Here are my results so that you see what I was referring to when I said my closest matches were US based tribes.

I am interested in learning more about Natives, that's why I joined. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
Uza is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-06-2015, 02:54 PM   #2

Items TreePresentChange User Title
Credits: 13,204.69
Savings: 0.00
Welcome to Powwows.com
LISA IRONMAKER likes this.
Spiritflight is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2015, 03:58 PM   #3
Pow Wow Committee

Items DollElephantDolphin
LISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond repute
LISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 26,760.66
Savings: 2.03
Welcome to pws.com Enjoy and nice to meet you.
windanncer and Spiritflight like this.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:17 PM   #4
On The Rocks

Items ElephantTreasure ChestPresentPresent
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 99,484.66
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uza View Post
Hey there everyone,

Let me start off by saying I'm Mexican and have no tribal affiliation. As most of you already know, the prevalent culture in Mexico is Mestizo Culture. Although some here may dislike said culture, it's all I know, and who I am. If asked I've always said I'm of Native ancestry...genetically it's what predominates, and it's phenotypically obvious. But as many of you may know, Natives in Mexico were shuffled around from region to region, tribe to tribe. Ultimately they intermixed and many lost their tribal identity. I'm here to ask about that. I'll never know what tribes I descend from, since the reality is that I probably descend from a couple. Those that were common to the regions which my parents come from however, were the Chichimeca peoples, Purepecha, and Otomi.
Bienvenido! Benito Juarez was fullblood Zapotec from Oaxaca, became Presidente of Mexico a hero!

Why did social attitudes turn against Los Indios? Colonial attitudes, the church, racism...

I've been at a hospital when Mexican grandparents came to see the new baby, and they saw the baby was dark brown complexion, the said "Pobresito!" so these attitudes continue.

Lets hope a new awareness pushes away the culture of the past.....

The church baptismal records in Mexico can be good source for you to research you ancestors.

I'm not sure about those DNA tests, or how to apply to results to just one person's ancestry.
AmigoKumeyaay is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links