Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk > Smoke Dance What is Old Style to you? What is Old Style to you?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2008, 04:56 PM   #21
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Doll Comes Back is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Old Style

Hi! When I think of "old style" I envision elders dancing that have long since pasted... Its always perception.... I remember some very energenic elders that loved to dance so much. Both men and women... Some were very conservative and some were very contemporary back in the day, just as it is today.
Doll Comes Back is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2008, 06:05 PM   #22
Miss Struggs

Strugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 308.10
Smoke Dance is for show...and FUN
some people take it to the next level, and well beyond, in competition, and to me-most of them STILL have the footwork, so it doesn't bug me cuz the footwork is on. I mention that because Ive seen individuals go out there and folks watching think that they're dancing right on, but they're not..the footworks off. I don't hate them for it, cuz they're trying and it isn't easy to have the footwork when it's your 1st time out there. I remember my 1st times trying to do fish dance <----something like this *LOL* or maybe it was like this---->
but I don't think they should be placing in a competition because they aren't dancing "Smoke Dance"

I do agree with what folks said about having "Contemp" and "Old Style" SMoke dance...juss so folks could see the difference...like Ladies Dance-which makes me laff cuz "Old Style" ladies dance is more animated than "Contemp" ladies dance...ONLY IROQUOIS WOMEN!! *L*
Old 08-27-2008, 06:12 PM   #23
Miss Struggs

Strugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 308.10
But I'd totally have to agree with mentioning the Dowdy Clan when it comes to Old Style...they got those fast feet, but looking @ their upper body, it doesn't look like it's being jostled around....they could balance a glass of water on their shoulders and wouldn't need someone to run out a bottle of water to them between songs
Old 12-02-2009, 02:45 PM   #24
Pow Wow Visitor

Teyotsihstarathe is an unknown quantity at this point
Location: Ohswe:ken (Six Nations of the Grand River Territory)
Credits: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by trob226 View Post
I'm not familiar with old style, but having some Mohawk ancestry I'm really interested. Where would be good places for a spectator who is not of the culture to see old style smoke dancing?
Im a Smoke Dancer myself, and i dont personally believe there IS an "old style" of Smoke Dance. Smoke Dance is a contemporary dance, its origins, from what I have been taught and not to be confused with what others have been taught, are in the Thunder Dance. The Thunder Dances are done by Haudenosaunee men in that Society when the Thunderers are first heard coming in the springtime. these dances have also been called War Dance but I dont feel that is an accurate portrayal of the purpose of the Thunder Dance. The Thunder Dance was brought into a contemporary setting in the mid to late 1700's (it is still a medicine society dance too though), when our men wanted to have good sport. The Smoke Dance came out of that new desire for sport. I dont know why it is called the Smoke Dance though, I guess not to be mistaken for the Thunder Dance. Women have come into the competition too in the last couple of decades, Im not sure when exactly but it seems pretty recent, maybe the 1980's. there are still people out there who do not think women should participate because of the medicinal value of the dance, which is meant to be done by men. Im a woman though, and I dance, because I LOVES it! lol

~Teyotsihstokwathe~
Teyotsihstarathe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links