Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life Ask zeke Ask zeke

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2009, 01:37 AM   #61
Senior Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
SuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond repute
SuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 120.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
I withdraw the generalization of canon and admit that I do not actually know how I would feel, were that the case. (It is so far removed from reality that it is difficult to hypothesize.)

I mean, it would still be pan-Indian...

Let me think for a bit.
The province I live in probably has an equal split of competition and non-competition powwow, maybe more non. Many of the non competition (the ones we go to) have no admission, and the seating is all bring your own, so I don't think it's what your calling public seating. Anyway I wouldn't call em commercial, no ones maling money running one for sure. Now I haven't been to powwows else where but there must be powwows like that, so I get the commercial comment applies to some but I don't see how you can make such a generlization, please explain.
SuzzeQ4 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2009, 07:34 AM   #62
Sheep Carnivor

Items Sword
Wannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond repute
Wannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 3,902.50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
That's a little like saying, "Convince me to not smoke, but don't use all of that data on cancer." However, if you wish to negate a true, valid and relevant argument, it's probably best to NOT do so incorporating a red herring.

In sum, they are not "community gatherings."

If powwows are mere community gatherings, why is there admission and public seating? At best, they're ad hoc, pan-Indian, family reunions. At worst, they are exploitive circuses.

Either way, in and of themselves, intrinsic value is nil.

Man u know what sounds good though at a powwow, free food for the dancers!!!! what happened to that....? I missed the good old days..
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2009, 09:51 AM   #63
Self-Righteous Injun

Items Treasure ChestPresentTreasure ChestPresent
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 17,963.51
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzzeQ4 View Post
I get the commercial comment applies to some but I don't see how you can make such a generlization, please explain.
It's pretty easy [to do], AND I've attended a large enough, national, sample to do so.

That's the rub.

To wit:

Black folks always talk about the one guy running night basketball in Harlem (that gets caught running numbers), and Native folks always praise the one guy that made it through Dartmouth (who goes back to the rez and undermines the entire point of learning to think), but exceptions -- certainly -- do not impact the overall, statistical, thrust related to minorities: they're still poor, uneducated, crime, drugs, etc.

THAT'S JUST REALITY.

Same applies to powwows. You might find one, or two, that you can claim are family reunions where we dance. "Great," I guess: but it doesn't impact the overall thrust and the statistical trend remains.

Not only do I stand by my statements, I reassert them.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2009, 10:03 AM   #64
Self-Righteous Injun

Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by injunboy View Post
yes good sign of a true master-debater! *jokes*

zeke can you comment on the Cobell case? its a can of worms but what da heck
Distilled?

In general, we shot ourselves in the foot, sort of like the how the Cherokee have made a serious mistake in taking action on the Freedmen issue.

In both cases, the proposed "cure" is worse than the asserted "disease." (Regardless of my, or local, feelings on the matter.)

1. In Cobell, we might win, receiving $1, or we might lose everything. They'll judge-pick, jury-pick, and -- even if we WIN -- appeal to determine, "who is an Indian?" (To determine who is owed $$$.) We don't want them to do that.

2. The Cherokee? Same idea. Over <3,000 people, you've got the government interested in officially determining, "Who is an Indian?" Epic, bad idea.

We always lose that argument -- and will -- until/unless we get of blood as a marker. Now, possibly, that is what the Cherokee want, and I am not opposed to that (in general), but they are one of the few tribes that could then exist without an IMMENSE influx of folk that are 1/256: for survival.

Status quo is much, MUCH better.

Last edited by Zeke; 06-09-2009 at 03:13 PM.. Reason: Spelling of "proposed."
Old 06-03-2009, 12:19 PM   #65
Senior Dancer

SuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond repute
SuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 120.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
Man u know what sounds good though at a powwow, free food for the dancers!!!! what happened to that....? I missed the good old days..
You all don't get fed?
SuzzeQ4 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2009, 05:20 PM   #66
AKA...Falling Leaves

steelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond repute
steelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Oh yeah the Freedmen thing is going to blow up all over us.....but then again we are well known for making bad moves!!!!!

Life should not be measured by the number of things that we aquire on our journey but by the number of lives that we touch along that road.

I am a bridge on the red path between my ancestors and the future. I am a bridge between my white heritage and my native heritage. A bridge joins two sides together and provides a way to move on..... A.K. O'Pry-Reynolds
steelemagnolia63 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-09-2009, 03:06 PM   #67
Self-Righteous Injun

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelemagnolia63 View Post
Oh yeah the Freedmen thing is going to blow up all over us.....but then again we are well known for making bad moves!!!!!
I do believe that, in general, direct leadership has suffered since the Mankiller days, but that could be attributed to a mere difference in Vision. (She was called an assimilator by some, not me, and there has been a separatist backlash.)
Old 06-09-2009, 03:25 PM   #68
AKA...Falling Leaves

steelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond repute
I personally liked Norma Mankiller, I think that she was looking forward not backward....

Life should not be measured by the number of things that we aquire on our journey but by the number of lives that we touch along that road.

I am a bridge on the red path between my ancestors and the future. I am a bridge between my white heritage and my native heritage. A bridge joins two sides together and provides a way to move on..... A.K. O'Pry-Reynolds
Old 06-09-2009, 03:46 PM   #69
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 119,811.65
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelemagnolia63 View Post
I personally liked Norma Mankiller, I think that she was looking forward not backward....
Who is Norma Mankiller???

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-09-2009, 03:51 PM   #70
Eskimo wannabe

Items ElephantTreasure ChestPresentPresent
vBActivity Stats
Achievements Happy 10th AnniversaryHappy 5th AnniversaryEverybody Loves Me!Posting GodThe Popular One
Items ElephantTreasure ChestPresentPresent
neling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond repute
neling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Dad View Post
I'm sure she meant to say Wilma Mankiller.

Last edited by neling4; 06-09-2009 at 03:55 PM..
neling4 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-09-2009, 06:36 PM   #71
AKA...Falling Leaves

lol... total brain fart.... I was talking to my cousin Norma at the same time that I was typing this...just goes to show that I should not have more than one thing going on the laptop at one time.....who by the way thinks that it's hilarious that Ms. Perfect screwed up...

Great now I'll have to relive this one over and over and over at the family reunion....

Last edited by steelemagnolia63; 06-09-2009 at 06:42 PM.. Reason: added thought
Old 06-10-2009, 03:04 PM   #72
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantRainbowDevilDevil
Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 32,425.79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Dad View Post
Now you know who that is! silly haha on you, shes dat one chic at da nine who walks with a limp eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:09 PM   #73
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 119,811.65
Ur not right!!!

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-10-2009, 07:56 PM   #74
AKA...Falling Leaves

my cousin is still ragging on me this afternoon about my freudian slip.. she says that she is a mandemolisher not a mankiller.......

Sponsored Links