Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Does Congress have the right to determine Cherokee membership?
Yes, Congress has this right 2 6.06%
No, Congress does not have this right 31 93.94%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree1Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life Congress and Cherokees Congress and Cherokees

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-14-2008, 08:00 PM   #61
Beadworker

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
sokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,106.54
Savings: 0.00
heres what Watson is saying today:
TheHill.com - Sen. Barack Obama and the Cherokee Freedmen: Politics as usual

of course she doesnt mention her own state and dis-enrollment there again.....

"Over the past several decades, our nation has stood up for the rights of indigenous minorities, as has the U.S. Congress through its Helsinki Commission as well as other congressional forums. Defending any government’s right to commit gross acts of discrimination under the guise of sovereign immunity is a non-starter. It is as unsupportable in South Africa, China, Zimbabwe and Bosnia as it is in the Cherokee Nation, arguably even more so in the Cherokee Nation since it is located within the continental U.S. and its sovereignty on the issue at hand has already been abrogated by Congress"

but the US Govt supports countries that still engage in slavery...Saudi Arabia and Kuwait to name two....more governmental fence riding....

Last edited by sokoki_wolf; 05-14-2008 at 08:06 PM..
sokoki_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-14-2008, 08:17 PM   #62
Pow Wow Visitor

Cherokeewolf1368 is infamous around these parts
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 34.32
Angry Congress Has The Right

Our Ancestors Fought For Our Generation And Next...no!!!!!the Congress...or Anyone Has The Right To Tell Me Or Any Native American What To Do And How ...we Are Thetrue Americans...i Get Upset That A White Man..or Men Tell Me ...this...i Am Already Going To Get A Message To The ----for Pres...on My True Feelings ...this Is Our Land...no One Will Take My Heritage..or Be A Dictator To Me...i Stand Proud...and No To The Congress...
Cherokeewolf1368 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-16-2008, 11:29 AM   #63
Head Dancer

Items Cake
timmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond repute
timmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond repute
Location: where ever there are babies or children you can find me
Credits: 8,331.92
Savings: 1.00
Okay, I'm gonna make a post here.

I received a little note this morning and it's actually got me cracking up laughing 'cause the person who left it had to go back to Sept to find something to mark it on. Which by the way that post was totally accurate too and the person seems to not know anything themselvs.

There are only two threads that this could have come from due to the fact that I've only been debating in two lately. I thought it was, possibly, a good debate--or could have been. However, I don't just get my info from the documents--although I do get alot of it. I have actually sat and talked to the actual people involved with this issue for an amount of time. Last year in July I sat and discussed this very issue for an hour and a half with a "Full Blood" Cherokee from Ok who is a very good friend of mine. I spent a whole week in Cherokee, NC at that time and this was a very big topic of conversation with my family and I was privy to it. So if anyone has a problem with that--get off their butts and talk to the people themselves--first!!!!!! Reading articles and documentation will only give you a one sided look at things, talk to the actual people involved--it might just broden your horizons a little.

I'm not mad--I just think that this is really really funny, but shows a lack of knowledge based on the note its self. And there are so many Cherokee's out there who will talk about this with anyone who cares to "LISTEN"--that's the key word here.
timmy tiger is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-30-2015, 07:09 PM   #64
Pow Wow Visitor

mermer is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 120.00
Savings: 0.00
Angry mary e. bennett

I Myself come from line of Bennett's Only Problem Is I Can't Find My Great Ancestor's Beginning. I See All Their Application's And Everyone Got Rejected Because None Of Their Parent's Signed The Treaty That Could Be Proven However;None Could Read Or Write To Know If Their Parent's Name Where There.
mermer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-30-2015, 10:04 PM   #65
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 35,644.84
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermer View Post
I Myself come from line of Bennett's Only Problem Is I Can't Find My Great Ancestor's Beginning. I See All Their Application's And Everyone Got Rejected Because None Of Their Parent's Signed The Treaty That Could Be Proven However;None Could Read Or Write To Know If Their Parent's Name Where There.
I was trying to remember where I had seen that name: Mary E Bennett...
You see I do a lot of research and see many many names in my research some stick out and some don't. Well her name did stick out to me I had ran across it and a clue was provided by your statement: " I See all of their Application's"... Back to her in a bit!

I think for me the statement: "None Could Read or Write to know if their Parent's Name where there"... As if they could only read they would have looked at the list and said AH HAH there she is!! Eureka!! Oi

Lean closer to the Monitor so I know you can read this:
INDIANS COULD NOT READ OR WRITE ENGLISH AND TESTIFIED THROUGH INTERPRETERS WHO SPOKE BOTH LANGUAGES! Full-bloods always needed an Interpreter who was hired from the community and provided those kinds of duties for numerous applications they were typically mixed blood Cherokees who spoke both languages and understood what was their duties were.

But Mary needed no such services she spoke English quite well and Testified reams of Pages for she was included in the SIZEMORE Case and rejected after years of court cases and a search of the records I might add a very exhaustive search of the records for the Miller Commission really tried to give her and the 2000 or so applicants a piece of the Money owed to the Eastern Cherokee! But alas it was the conclusion of the Commission not a drop of Indian Blood flowed in any of these people. One whole Volume of the findings of the Miller commission is devoted to the Sizemore Case.
I included this clip of a rather large file that a Genealogists attempted to do several years ago and came to the same conclusion as the Commission did in 1906-1907

The largest majority of the more than 2,200 Sizemore related ECA's that were filed in 1906/1907 claim their Cherokee ancestry through this Ned Sizemore. The majority of those ECA's claim through one of the seven children of Edward's son George who was born ca. 1750, but fail to mention George, instead claiming that those children born 1770/1797 were children of "Old Ned" There are however many that correctly identify George and name him as the son of Ned and Ana Sizemore. Under the leadership of a great grandson of George Sizemore, “Chief” William Harrison Blevins (grandson of Lydia Sizemore Blevins), they banded together as the “Whitetop, VA Tribe” to file their claims. ECA’s were filed by each of the seven children of George Sizemore as well as by descendants of George’s brother Owen Sizemore who had moved from Ashe County, NC to Hawkins County, TN between 1803 and 1809, and several other Sizemore families whose relationship to George and Owen can only be speculated. The names Owen and Lydia have been heavily used in this family for over 200 years.

Most of the ECA's that appear to be accurate were filed by descendants of those Sizemores who moved ca. 1835 from Ashe Co, NC to what was to become Wyoming Co, WV. Very possibly there was a family Bible or other record that went with them to WV. None of Ned's descendants were on the Cherokee census lists, and none were entitled to benefits, and of course none were approved for benefits. None-the-less these ECA's on file in the National Archives in Washington, DC are a treasure for the Sizemore genealogist. In reviewing the ECA's with their great amount of family history, the researcher must however remain cognizant of certain realities:

The ECA's were filed in 1906 and 1907, probably more than 125 years after Ned's death, based only on family tradition The purpose of those that filed ECA's was to obtain money from the Government Many of the claimants said that they had never heard of Ned or of having Cherokee ancestry until close to 1906. Several (less than 5%) of the ECA's are outright fraudulent claims.

In working on this family, I have received valuable assistance from many cousins too numerous to mention. However there are two individuals without whom this manuscript would have been extremely difficult if not impossible. Archie Blevins of Clinton, TN began this research about 1952 and I had the good fortune to become aware of his work in 1972 and to be the beneficiary of much of his efforts as he retired from active research. Another cousin Ralph Schuler of Falls Church, VA spent hundreds of hours at The National Archives in the early 1980’s preparing a synopsis of each Sizemore related ECA, and Ralph has generously shared those ECA briefs with me. He has also placed a copy of these ECA’s synopses in the Ashe County, NC Public Library and selected Virginia libraries.

Here is the entire link: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....SIZEMORE1.html
windanncer likes this.
Sponsored Links