Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life FAQ: laws about eagle feathers FAQ: laws about eagle feathers

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2009, 04:02 PM   #21
Junior Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
..AmuneOne.. is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
Here is the Canadian Classification for Bald Eagle: CITES - Canadian Wildlife Service - Environment Canada
thank you very much for taking interest i myself had been searching the net and called alot of wild life angencys but havint found anyting it s kinda bugging me but when i do find someting i will post it here so other people in my situation will have it as well ..
Old 02-25-2009, 12:19 PM   #22
Mens Traditional Dancer

Neechiboy has much to be proud ofNeechiboy has much to be proud ofNeechiboy has much to be proud ofNeechiboy has much to be proud ofNeechiboy has much to be proud ofNeechiboy has much to be proud ofNeechiboy has much to be proud ofNeechiboy has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by ..AmuneOne.. View Post
obtaining eagle feather s and part s for traditonal purposes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once again Im notseeking information on why the repository is there, and what the autopsys are telling you. I still don't have an answer to any questions I have about obtaining eagle feathers for myself. As a Canadian I'm a full blooded treaty first nations and would like the same benfits as U.S. residents. Again great information, and the repository is a great place for finding out why these birds are dieing. It's great that these powerful birds are protected. The Bald Ealge is a highly respected bird in my culture, and a great symbol for Canada as well but, for someone who cannot have a Ealge handed down to me from family and can't barder for these feathers I would really like to have the same benfits and recieve an eagle for traditional purposes leagly more specificaly for regalia. Regalia that I would someday pass down to my son and hopefully him to his son, and so on, for many more generations to come.
dude im from canada too lol i hope one day to get a eagle feather bustle. i know when my step dad was young he earned all the feathers he has through dancing. i know this proably dosent help but i also seen two elders trading feathers for medicine. if you find a answer to this quetion let me know..
Neechiboy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-14-2009, 04:49 PM   #23
wakalapi wacinkte

Tiki has a reputation beyond repute
Tiki has a reputation beyond reputeTiki has a reputation beyond reputeTiki has a reputation beyond reputeTiki has a reputation beyond reputeTiki has a reputation beyond reputeTiki has a reputation beyond reputeTiki has a reputation beyond reputeTiki has a reputation beyond reputeTiki has a reputation beyond reputeTiki has a reputation beyond reputeTiki has a reputation beyond repute
Savings: 1.00
Please correct me on this if I am mistaken. I thought I had read before that if you are passed down feathers you were supposed to "register" with the depository and pay a application fee. Is that correct? This writeup here didn't mention that or the fees.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:13 PM   #24
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 35,644.84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
Please correct me on this if I am mistaken. I thought I had read before that if you are passed down feathers you were supposed to "register" with the depository and pay a application fee. Is that correct? This writeup here didn't mention that or the fees.
That is not correct
There is no application fee ever

It reads that if you are a permit holder you may pass feathers to other Natives including family

Understand the Feathers already had to be Legally obtained from the repository and you must be a permit holder in order to pass the feathers down.

Here is the wording from:

Title 50: Wildlife and Fisheries
PART 22—EAGLE PERMITS
Subpart C—Eagle Permits

§ 22.22 What are the requirements concerning permits for Indian religious purposes?

a) You must submit applications for permits to take, possess, transport within the United States, or transport into or out of the United States lawfully acquired bald or golden eagles, or their parts, nests, or eggs for Indian religious use to the appropriate Regional Director—Attention: Migratory Bird Permit Office. You can find addresses for the appropriate Regional Directors in 50 CFR 2.2. If you are applying for a permit to transport into or out of the United States, your application must contain all the information necessary for the issuance of a CITES permit. You must comply with all the requirements in part 23 of this subchapter before international travel. Your application for any permit under this section must also contain the information required under this section, §13.12(a) of this subchapter, and the following information:

(1) Species and number of eagles or feathers proposed to be taken, or acquired by gift or inheritance.

(2) State and local area where the taking is proposed to be done, or from whom acquired.

(3) Name of tribe with which applicant is associated.

(4) Name of tribal religious ceremony(ies) for which required.

(5) You must attach a certification of enrollment in an Indian tribe that is federally recognized under the Federally Recognized Tribal List Act of 1994, 25 U.S.C. 479a–1, 108 Stat. 4791 (1994). The certificate must be signed by the tribal official who is authorized to certify that an individual is a duly enrolled member of that tribe, and must include the official title of that certifying official.

(b) What are the permit conditions? In addition to the general conditions in part 13 of this subchapter B, permits to take, possess, transport within the United States, or transport into or out of the United States bald or golden eagles, or their parts, nests or eggs for Indian religious use are subject to the following conditions:

(1) Bald or golden eagles or their parts possessed under permits issued pursuant to this section are not transferable, except such birds or their parts may be handed down from generation to generation or from one Indian to another in accordance with tribal or religious customs; and

(2) You must submit reports or inventories, including photographs, of eagle feathers or parts on hand as requested by the issuing office.

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:
Old 05-14-2009, 05:22 PM   #25
wakalapi wacinkte

Tiki has a reputation beyond repute
Tiki has a reputation beyond reputeTiki has a reputation beyond reputeTiki has a reputation beyond reputeTiki has a reputation beyond reputeTiki has a reputation beyond reputeTiki has a reputation beyond reputeTiki has a reputation beyond reputeTiki has a reputation beyond reputeTiki has a reputation beyond reputeTiki has a reputation beyond reputeTiki has a reputation beyond repute
thank you Josiah. seems that I scanned over the exact wording and they were talking about transport and such. sometimes my mind goes-oooh shiny

Last edited by Tiki; 05-14-2009 at 05:24 PM..
Tiki is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-2010, 02:31 AM   #26
Banned

tob0127 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Hi65

A man is known by the company he keeps.
tob0127 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2010, 01:05 PM   #27
Blogger/Researcher

RosettaWildthorne is an unknown quantity at this point
Concerned

OK, I only looked this one up because it was included in my studies for a conservation course. I didn't know that they are now allowing the agency to MIX parts. So, when you request a bird it is possible to get an impure specimen; ie a mixed bird? Uh, I don't know how to explain it perfectly, but let me say it metaphorically: how would that look in the moon dance?

Do they not know that the Great Father, our ancestors, and the members of the ecosystem around us don't just look at the wings and say "Oh, that's the symbol of so and so thing", they can read the patterns, the chemistry, the structure, etc, in like two instances and it'll read as more than one species, and incomplete. Is this the most recent version of the regulation? I'm just curious, when did this version come out?

Thank you :)
RosettaWildthorne is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2010, 05:15 PM   #28
Blogger/Researcher

RosettaWildthorne is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ..AmuneOne.. View Post
obtaining eagle feather s and part s for traditonal purposes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once again Im notseeking information on why the repository is there, and what the autopsys are telling you. I still don't have an answer to any questions I have about obtaining eagle feathers for myself. As a Canadian I'm a full blooded treaty first nations and would like the same benfits as U.S. residents. Again great information, and the repository is a great place for finding out why these birds are dieing. It's great that these powerful birds are protected. The Bald Ealge is a highly respected bird in my culture, and a great symbol for Canada as well but, for someone who cannot have a Ealge handed down to me from family and can't barder for these feathers I would really like to have the same benfits and recieve an eagle for traditional purposes leagly more specificaly for regalia. Regalia that I would someday pass down to my son and hopefully him to his son, and so on, for many more generations to come.
What would be really awesome if if you either already had the regalia from the old days when there weren't past endangerment or threatened species issues or pesticide problems and you could just go hunting for the bird itself. IF the environment was gnerous enough to offer you one of these species (since they are like special and all that) and you could make an entire regalia, and then you danced in it and were able to pass it to your children and they danced with it. Everyone would remember your suit and see your son/daughter (son, lol) dancing and they would know that a new one had emerged like you, you know, it'd be a blessing and then yoru child could definitely step in your footsteps and be guided by your paths, sigh.

I'm not sure if it even does the same thing these days for something like eagle feathers when they are no longer offered to you that way, sigh. Bear skins? Buck skins? Not the same, I know. They say bear skins are pretty special though....

Wow, nice thoughts :)

Sigh, has me teary eyed though. That little baby, in that traditional regalia, dancing there just like his father.... What is UP with these darn pesticides?!?!?
RosettaWildthorne is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-11-2010, 12:28 AM   #29
Pow Wow Visitor

daviddwillson is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle of the sky View Post
meegwitch blackbear....
Well now I wish that there were some kind of info when I was in high school about all of this. I did an amount of traveling before I met my husband and well canada was a place we traveled kind of frequently.

I think in 2000 word around was that if we crossed into canada with our feathers they would take it away regardless if we were native. I was so worried, I have a white tail fan my uncle gave to me for my 16 birthday and I didn't want to lose it. Greatfully nothing happened but we got word fast that some boarder crossings did that to some dancers and singers.

This is real nice to know. Thanks for the info. I feel a bit more safe and educated a bit more on the handling of feathers for natives. HR
daviddwillson is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links