PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Native Life (http://forums.powwows.com/f81/)
-   -   Indian men wearing cowboy clothes: (http://forums.powwows.com/f81/indian-men-wearing-cowboy-clothes-61297/)

chet69 10-12-2011 12:16 PM

Indian men wearing cowboy clothes:

When I was growing up my Dad wore cowboy boots when he wasn't at work. He worked at a packinghouse in Omaha, Ne. He also liked to wear cowboy hats when going to reservation events- pow-wows, handgames and funerals etc.
I also have a lot of cowboy boots and hats but don't wear the boots often cause I do a lot of walking.
Do the indian guys where you are wear western clothes?

yaahl 10-12-2011 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chet69 (Post 1490902)
When I was growing up my Dad wore cowboy boots when he wasn't at work. He worked at a packinghouse in Omaha, Ne. He also liked to wear cowboy hats when going to reservation events- pow-wows, handgames and funerals etc.
I also have a lot of cowboy boots and hats but don't wear the boots often cause I do a lot of walking.

Don't forget Indian gals too...

I live in the Canadian prairies near a ranching/farming community. Everyone wears some type of western wear here. Most little girls these days wear pink hats and boots. My summer straw hat is pink too...lol

wyo_rose 10-12-2011 01:35 PM

The best looking cowboys (and cowgirls) are Indian cowboys!! Although some real Indian cowboys here don't go in for the whole cowboy look.

In fact the first cowboys in North America WERE Indians!!

yaahl 10-12-2011 01:48 PM

I have no problem with folks wearing the boots, hats etc.. although I do chuckle when men are wearing boots and don't know why the heel is shaped the way it is... or that they are wearing dress boots to a muck and mud event.

AmigoKumeyaay 10-12-2011 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chet69 (Post 1490902)

The Parker CRIT Powwow was two weeks ago. The first dance after Grand Entry was a "Hats, Boots & Spurs" Special. The MC even encouraged cowboy hats / western wear during Grand Entry.

I uploaded some photos here, I wasn't happy with my video footage, still debating about posting it.

Grits & Beans 10-12-2011 02:13 PM

i think cowbow boots and hats are hot lol :razz:

rezcar3 10-12-2011 03:58 PM

someone asked me about that a while ago. im from NM and a lot of the Indian men down there wear western attire.....i explained what i thought ABOUT IT...its not a contradiction but an evolution of horse culture.

trouble 10-12-2011 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rezcar3 (Post 1490973)
its not a contradiction but an evolution of horse culture.

Exactly, I have a buddy who has a cattle/horse ranch out on the mesa and he wears western attire, ..he calls it work clothes....
it fits the job he's doing...

and I'm with G & B...them boys in them button down levis , cowboy boots, and cowboy hats look goood honey...whew!!! Now that's nice!!

AmigoKumeyaay 10-12-2011 07:39 PM

I posted my YouTube video here "Hats, Boots & Spurs Special".

http://youtu.be/fxKiAyAIjPo

Zeke 10-12-2011 10:34 PM

I don't dig the urban cowboy thing on anyone.

Why?

That stuff had a USE.

If you don't know what it is, or don't actually use it, you're a poser.

APACHEFIRE 10-12-2011 10:35 PM

because of the sun and not wanting to get skin cancer (some of my meds say not to be in sunlight because my body cant protect itself while taking the med.) i took to wearing “western” hats. the ‘baseball’ style just didnt cover my head enough, and the ‘ladies’ sunhats were too “froo-froo” for me.
but once i moved out to the east coast….i never saw any western wear anymore. i have to say i do MISS them MEN IN BOOTS N JEANS. with the western wear look. so i kinda put up my hat for the past two years now….ever since a dufus woman called me ‘SIR” twice in walmart…yeah she was a clerk in the pharmacy dept. AND i bought the one i was wearing the day she called me that, from walmart.

ah still wear muh combat boots though.

HI ZEKE!

chet69 10-13-2011 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 1491036)

Why?

That stuff had a USE.

A lot of the indian men just liked the look in the old days- like my Dad evidently did. I remember seeing a lot of older men wearing the clothes as well whenever I went to the rez.
I bought a couple of pairs of boots when I went to Texas a few years ago. A young white soldier looked at me like I was crazy and he was a native Texan. I didn't see many guys down there in the Austin, TX area wearing western clothes. They all looked like city slickers.:tongue:

yaahl 10-13-2011 11:21 AM

Quote:

Why?

That stuff had a USE.

Exactly. I had to giggle last year when one of the talent shows had a kid that was NC all dressed up in cowboy gear. I think singers confuse country genre with the western genre and assume they are one and the same.

Around here, we have real cowboys/girls. Complete with rodeo buckles. Some of the ranches here are 35,000 acres. A ranch/farm with less than 2000 acres is considered a very small operation. So once again, I giggle when folks from out east say they are ranchers with a spread of 10 acres. That amount of land out here is your driveway. LOL

At community events you can always spot the posers... they are the ones wearing boots with spur heels and no spurs...or they have little plastic shower caps covering their hat when it rains. LOL

My favourite piece of kit is the oilskin duster. Keeps me warm and dry when I'm out hunting/riding (horse and bike)/hiking/fishing.

AmigoKumeyaay 10-13-2011 03:50 PM

http://youtu.be/IWcOtxQdd5E

trouble 10-13-2011 03:58 PM

Amigo,

Saw your Hats and Spurs videos on YouTube...they were well done..my favorites were the couples hats and spur , and the children....that was great...THANKS FOR POSTING THEM!!!

Grits & Beans 10-13-2011 04:09 PM

Quote:

Why?

That stuff had a USE.

if ppl like the look of something, but no need of its use, there is nothing wrong with them wearing it. just like you having no need of the use of a goatee but having one anyways because you like the look of it.

i win :tongue:

SpeakingOwl 10-13-2011 05:07 PM

i feel more comfortable being around natives that dress in Wranglers, western shirts and cowboy hats than I am around natives dressing like street vermin- wearing saggy oversize pants and shirts. when they try to emulate the dress of street gangsters.
also i find that the youth that dress in western fashion are more personable and respectful in thier over all attitudes.

Zeke 10-13-2011 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grits & Beans (Post 1491166)
if ppl like the look of something, but no need of its use, there is nothing wrong with them wearing it. just like you having no need of the use of a goatee but having one anyways because you like the look of it.

i win :tongue:

If you saw me without it, you'd realize that I need it. :devil2:

Without it, I appear twelve and my face looks like a baked apple...

wyo_rose 10-14-2011 03:03 AM

:hysterica

Anywayz, those are frickin' awesome videos. I gotta get out more!!

NancyJo 10-14-2011 10:06 AM

I live in Texas.....rural Texas. Jeans, western shirts, boots and hats are the norm. We live around peanut fields and ranches......home of the cutting horse association. Just about as western as you can get. Any day in Walmart you will run across some REAL wranglers coming in for milk and bread in their spurs. I love to go to the Creek Nation Festival and see the rodeo!! So, heck yea, I like to see our Indian folk in western wear! And hat's off to Speaking Owl, you said the truth!!