Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life Light skin Light skin

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-16-2010, 01:54 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
jackson_1900 has a reputation beyond reputejackson_1900 has a reputation beyond reputejackson_1900 has a reputation beyond reputejackson_1900 has a reputation beyond reputejackson_1900 has a reputation beyond reputejackson_1900 has a reputation beyond reputejackson_1900 has a reputation beyond reputejackson_1900 has a reputation beyond reputejackson_1900 has a reputation beyond reputejackson_1900 has a reputation beyond reputejackson_1900 has a reputation beyond reputejackson_1900 has a reputation beyond reputejackson_1900 has a reputation beyond reputejackson_1900 has a reputation beyond reputejackson_1900 has a reputation beyond reputejackson_1900 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Light skin

I'm a light skinned native. Growing up I always had problems with being light skinned, anytime someone would make a comment about it even jokingly I would be cool about it but later on I would let it eat away at me and get angry. Over time I began letting go of my anger thanks to my grandmother, she told me if I let it get to me and feel like I'm less native then I will always be angry. That advice helped me very much and now it's not an issue for anymore.
These days I see others being poked fun at because of the lightness of their skin, I know so many natives who are light skinned and are full blood native. This is a native issue that might not seem like a big problem but you never know how he or she is really feeling inside.

Pilamaya.
jackson_1900 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-2010, 09:46 PM   #2
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 119,811.65
Savings: 1.00
So now you know what it feels like being dark skinned growing up in a light skinned world.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-2010, 09:30 AM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

manyfacesawakened is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyfoxdrumsticks View Post
I'm a light skinned native. Growing up I always had problems with being light skinned, anytime someone would make a comment about it even jokingly I would be cool about it but later on I would let it eat away at me and get angry. Over time I began letting go of my anger thanks to my grandmother, she told me if I let it get to me and feel like I'm less native then I will always be angry. That advice helped me very much and now it's not an issue for anymore.
These days I see others being poked fun at because of the lightness of their skin, I know so many natives who are light skinned and are full blood native. This is a native issue that might not seem like a big problem but you never know how he or she is really feeling inside.

Pilamaya.
i understand i am metis so light skinned as well and some are ok with it others poke fun but your grandma was right you are no less native because of skin tone then i am for being mixed hugs
manyfacesawakened is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2010, 10:46 AM   #4
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,558.70
Question

I think a lot has to do with your involvement to your tribe and community. Regardless of skin color, if your tribe, community or special interest group (powwow, rodeo, basketball etc.) know you, then you will be less inclined to be teased.

I know many light skinned Indians that don't have to prove anything. I and many others on powwows.com can tell they are NdN after just a few minutes with them. Once this is established, skin color is no longer an issue..

In my opinion, anyone that tries too hard to be NdN or draw attention to theirselves because they are NdN are suspect. Just be yourself. You are a human and so am I. Build on this and you will be fine.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:35 AM   #5
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 119,811.65
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe View Post
I think a lot has to do with your involvement to your tribe and community. Regardless of skin color, if your tribe, community or special interest group (powwow, rodeo, basketball etc.) know you, then you will be less inclined to be teased.

I know many light skinned Indians that don't have to prove anything. I and many others on powwows.com can tell they are NdN after just a few minutes with them. Once this is established, skin color is no longer an issue..

In my opinion, anyone that tries too hard to be NdN or draw attention to theirselves because they are NdN are suspect. Just be yourself. You are a human and so am I. Build on this and you will be fine.
Perfect answer, WhoMe.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2010, 12:25 PM   #6
MCKiemle

Items Elephant
MCKiemle has a reputation beyond reputeMCKiemle has a reputation beyond reputeMCKiemle has a reputation beyond reputeMCKiemle has a reputation beyond repute
MCKiemle has a reputation beyond reputeMCKiemle has a reputation beyond reputeMCKiemle has a reputation beyond reputeMCKiemle has a reputation beyond reputeMCKiemle has a reputation beyond reputeMCKiemle has a reputation beyond reputeMCKiemle has a reputation beyond reputeMCKiemle has a reputation beyond reputeMCKiemle has a reputation beyond reputeMCKiemle has a reputation beyond reputeMCKiemle has a reputation beyond reputeMCKiemle has a reputation beyond reputeMCKiemle has a reputation beyond reputeMCKiemle has a reputation beyond reputeMCKiemle has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 749.86
Who Me's answer is great,no matter what color your skin is or which side is giving you trouble,the thing to remember is that you are the color that you need to be, whatever that is.God does not make mistakes,that includes our skin tone,if you respect yourself and are comfortable with who you are most people will not even care what color you are. And even if they do,once they see that you are not bothered by what others think they know it's no use poking or talking bad about or to you.People who pick on other people are very insecure themselves, and need to put somebody else down to feel good about themselves.

Last edited by MCKiemle; 10-19-2010 at 12:32 PM..
MCKiemle is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-22-2010, 04:16 PM   #7
Self-Righteous Injun

Items Treasure ChestPresentTreasure ChestPresent
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 17,963.51
Red face Zeke locates his soapbox again...

My father's tribe is filled with French blood. My mother's, black. (Generalities, but you get what I am saying. It's all about where your tribe was, and who they were aligned with, in the past.) My skin tone is right in the middle, which is to say that I look like a big Mexican or a pint-sized Samoan. Neither side defines me, nor should skin tone define anyone. What identifies someone as Native, to me, is how they think.

To some, that's inherently dangerous. Why? Because it implies that status can be earned and isn't condoned at birth. I ask, would you want it any other way?

Without entering politics, per se, many people refer to Bill Clinton as our "first black President" because he shares knowledge, personal experience, adolescent trauma, family history, and etc., with a "tribe" of small town, working class, and salt-of-the-earth types from predominantly minority areas of Arkansas. In sum, he empathizes and identifies with that. He is that, including -- via broad acknowledgment -- the incorporation of faults (insecurity) and indiscretions (personal/private) known to bubble beneath the surface of said social environments.

Many black folks understand/trust Clinton with a fervor that transcends blood. He is THEM.

Again, eschewing politics, Ben Campbell's mother was Portuguese. He was educated by Catholics before, eventually, dropping out of school to spend two years in Korea as part of the USAF (laudible but not inherently Native). College records list him as Ben M. Campbell (not Nighthorse) which he maintained as public through at least the age of thirty-one. He wasn't even a resident of Colorado, where he was elected to the US House, until he moved there in his late forties. At the same time, he -- finally -- enrolled Northern Cheyenne and added Nighthorse to his own name.

Am I trying to denigrate the guy? Hell no. Being a State Rep/Senator is a big, big deal. However, beyond having a Native father, do you see anything there that the bulk of Natives would discern as commonality? (Unless they, too, suddenly discover themselves at mid-life?) To most Natives, he is NOT them.

And blood nor skin tone is the reason in either case.

We are what we are, with skin tone and blood/quantum being the most poor definition thereof: unless it's all that you have.

The REAL folks don't give a rat's posterior about either.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2012, 01:51 AM   #8
Alesangel

Items Present
Alesangel has a reputation beyond reputeAlesangel has a reputation beyond reputeAlesangel has a reputation beyond reputeAlesangel has a reputation beyond reputeAlesangel has a reputation beyond reputeAlesangel has a reputation beyond reputeAlesangel has a reputation beyond reputeAlesangel has a reputation beyond reputeAlesangel has a reputation beyond reputeAlesangel has a reputation beyond reputeAlesangel has a reputation beyond reputeAlesangel has a reputation beyond reputeAlesangel has a reputation beyond reputeAlesangel has a reputation beyond reputeAlesangel has a reputation beyond reputeAlesangel has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 310.99
I agree with you guys. Whether one is light or dark-skinned, all that really matters is how you feel. I have an Irish father and my mother is half Cherokee (her mother was a full-blood and her father Irish)--- so whatever that makes me to some doesn't really matter to me. Although I look white as snow, and get asked all the time just what ancestry I am...my heart is Indian. Thanks in part to my parents bitter divorce when I was barely out of diapers, I barely knew my mother or any of my Cherokee relatives. Since I was never taught anything about the "native" side of my heritage, I always felt robbed in one sense. Now that I am older, I've been on a quest ever since to understand my people and therefore, myself. I understand some place much on blood quantum. The whole thing just seems so ridiculous to me considering our history.
Alesangel is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2012, 01:34 AM   #9
Pow Wow Visitor

Ananse has a reputation beyond reputeAnanse has a reputation beyond reputeAnanse has a reputation beyond reputeAnanse has a reputation beyond reputeAnanse has a reputation beyond reputeAnanse has a reputation beyond reputeAnanse has a reputation beyond reputeAnanse has a reputation beyond reputeAnanse has a reputation beyond reputeAnanse has a reputation beyond reputeAnanse has a reputation beyond reputeAnanse has a reputation beyond reputeAnanse has a reputation beyond reputeAnanse has a reputation beyond reputeAnanse has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 211.47
I'm also a lightskinned halfblood and it was hard growing up. I had alot of animosity for a while about this in the past and actually went through a phase where I felt so embarassed about my skin color that I decided I was an insult to the Native community. I experienced so much difficulty watching my brother who luckily 'looks the right way' be welcomed and embraced by the same people who openly thought so little of me. I've been denying my heritage in the recent past and have been trying to assimilate into the culture I am married into--but I've come to realize that it is just wrong to do that to yourself. So now I am at the point where I just don't care what anybody else thinks.

If you were raised Native and have a Native heart then by all means it doesn't matter what you look like=)
Ananse is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2012, 12:33 AM   #10
Self-Righteous Injun

Items Treasure ChestPresentTreasure ChestPresent
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 17,963.51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alesangel View Post
I've been on a quest ever since to understand my people and therefore, myself.
I've found that, to discover who I am, I -- often -- must try to look beyond that which I have been immersed in since childhood.

It is a delicate balance.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2012, 04:21 AM   #11
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
People.. love the skin you're in! You live with it.. might as well love it eh? I don't think there's really a best skin tone to be.... we are who we are, and all colors of the skin spectrum have something attractive about them.

Last edited by Blackbear; 03-26-2012 at 04:22 AM.. Reason: part of my sentance was out of context so had to change a word
Blackbear is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links