Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By OLChemist
  • 2 Post By OLChemist

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life Native Authors and Books Native Authors and Books

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-24-2009, 03:10 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
LaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond repute
LaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Native Authors and Books

Do you have a book share that is of NDN meaning Children’s books, History, Genealogy, even Magazines or Manuals or Articles from Historic places? We have many books that are written about NDN's some not well liked and some that are treasured. List a book and it's Author and give a book review OR if you are searching for a book here is a place that may help you find it.....
Please list any book that is a Native Author or Books out there that are NDN related...by Non Native Author's Example
Non- Native Author book by N. H. Winchell 1906-1911
Aborigines Of Minnestoa
A report on the collections of JacobV. Brower and on the field surveys and notes of Alfred J. Hlland Theodore H. Lewis collated, augmentated, and described by N. H. Winchell 1906-1911 2 volumes.
considered rare.. I had a hard time finding this book and the only place that had it was
Gustavs LibraryGustav's Library rare books of the American Archaeology and ...
Publishing firm in Davenport, Iowa specializing in quality reprints of rare American books including American Archaeology and the American Arts and Crafts Movement.
http://www.gustavslibrary.com/
This book is an excellent book with many maps pictures it has 36 halftone page plates, 26 folded inserts and 642 figures inserted in the text... The table of contents can be seen online ...

Native Author- by Anne M. Dunn
Grandmother's gift : stories from the Anishinabeg

Last edited by LaughingWaterWI; 10-25-2009 at 11:27 AM..
LaughingWaterWI is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2009, 03:17 PM   #2
Pow Wow Visitor

LaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond repute
LaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond repute
Hiawatha by Marion Gridley-Childrens book

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear...ion+E.+Gridley
Gridley, Marion E.

This was a all time bedtime favorite of mine when I was little.. the pitcures were awesome..
This book was printed in 1952 it can still be found.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:58 PM   #3
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 42,656.85
I'm a bit confused about whether or not you're talking about books by Native authors.

Novels, Short Story Collections & Poetry --

Leslie Silko: Storyteller, Almanac of the Dead, Ceremony, Garden of the Dunes;

Anna Lee Walters: The Sun is Not Merciful, Ghost Singer;

N. Scott Momaday: The Way to Rainy Mountain, Names, House Made of Dawn;

Linda Hogan: Solar Storms, Mean Spirit, Power, Dwellings

Gerald Vizenor: Darkness in Saint Louis: Bearheart, The Heirs of Columbus, Griever: An American Monkey King in China;

Ella Cara Deloria: Waterlily;

Elizabeth Cook-Lynn: Aurelia: A Crow Creek Trilogy, I Remember the Fallen Trees, Power of Horses, Seek the House of Relatives;

Jim Northrup: Rez Road Follies, Walking the Rez Road;

James Welch: Winter in the Blood, The Death of Jim Loney, Fools Crow, The Indian Lawyer, The Heartsong of Charging Elk, Riding the Earthboy 40;

Daune Niatum: Ascending Red Cedar Moon, Raven and Fear of Growing White;

Wendy Rose: Bone Dance, Now Poof She Is Gone: Poetry, Going to War With All My Relations, Halfbreed Chronicles, What Happened When the Hopi Hit New York;

Joseph Marshall III: Winter of the Holy Iron, Hundred in the Hand;

Louis Owen:Wolf Song, Bone Game, The Sharpest Sight;

William S Penn: The Absence of Angels, Killing Time with Strangers;

Literary Criticism --

Anna Lee Walters: Talking Indian;

Louis Owen:Native American Representations: First Encounters, Distorted Images, and Literary Appropriations;

William S Penn: All My Sins Are Relatives, As We Are Now;

Politics and Activism:

Elizabeth Lynn-Cook - The Politics of Hallowed Ground: Wounded Knee and the Struggle for Indian Sovereignty, Why I Can't Read Wallace Stegner and Other Essays: A Tribal Voice;

Biography --

Delphine Red Shirt: Bead on an Anthill: A Lakota Childhood, Turtle Lung Woman's Granddaughter;

Philosophy --

Joseph Marshall III: On Behalf of the Wolf and the First Peoples, The Dance House: Stories from Rosebud, The Lakota Way: Stories & Lessons for Living, Walking with Grandfather, Keep Going;

History --

Joseph Marshall III: The Journey of Crazy Horse: A Lakota History, The Day the World Ended at Little Bighorn: A Lakota History, Hundred in the Hand;

Last edited by OLChemist; 10-25-2009 at 05:44 AM..
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2009, 10:08 PM   #4
Cloth Dancer

Items Dolphin
NancyJo has a reputation beyond repute
NancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,020.79
Add in Sherman Alexie!!
thumbsup:
NancyJo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-25-2009, 10:59 AM   #5
Pow Wow Visitor

To all book posters
Thanks for the book posts but just one thing I kinda wanted to see is feedback in this thread on the books you read or if your just recomending a book thats ok too ... heres my reason why I thought that was a good idea a lot of these books are really expensive and are rare to find some aint there are many books in used book shops that are cheaper than say amazon, my point is if you can describe a book say for instance (I read this book and it wasn't what I expected could of went to the library and found the same stuff in a history book so here is a author that describes in his own words of what is already available in a history book and the author is just out there making money on jiber jaber).. or this book was very descriptive , great instuctions step by step and so on we can edit our posts so if we think of something can go back in and add more about a certain book ..

.For REALS I am looking for a book that has native knitting patterns say from the late 1800's if they are even out there lol ..oh yeah if it is a rare book PLEASE tell us where you can get it
thanks so much for your post have a great weekend
Old 10-25-2009, 11:19 AM   #6
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 95,932.48
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
I'm a bit confused about whether or not you're talking about books by Native authors.

Gerald Vizenor: Darkness in Saint Louis: Bearheart, The Heirs of Columbus, Griever: An American Monkey King in China;

Elizabeth Cook-Lynn: Aurelia: A Crow Creek Trilogy, I Remember the Fallen Trees, Power of Horses, Seek the House of Relatives;

James Welch: Winter in the Blood, The Death of Jim Loney, Fools Crow, The Indian Lawyer, The Heartsong of Charging Elk, Riding the Earthboy 40;

Wendy Rose: Bone Dance, Now Poof She Is Gone: Poetry, Going to War With All My Relations, Halfbreed Chronicles, What Happened When the Hopi Hit New York;

Literary Criticism --

Louis Owen:Native American Representations: First Encounters, Distorted Images, and Literary Appropriations;

Politics and Activism:

Elizabeth Lynn-Cook - The Politics of Hallowed Ground: Wounded Knee and the Struggle for Indian Sovereignty, Why I Can't Read Wallace Stegner and Other Essays: A Tribal Voice;

Biography --

Delphine Red Shirt: Bead on an Anthill: A Lakota Childhood, Turtle Lung Woman's Granddaughter;

Philosophy --

Joseph Marshall III: On Behalf of the Wolf and the First Peoples, The Dance House: Stories from Rosebud, The Lakota Way: Stories & Lessons for Living, Walking with Grandfather, Keep Going;

History --

Joseph Marshall III: The Journey of Crazy Horse: A Lakota History, The Day the World Ended at Little Bighorn: A Lakota History, Hundred in the Hand;
I'm willing to bet my powwows.com bad reputation on OL Chemist reading most, if not all, these books. Well, that's my impression of her!!! LOL

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-25-2009, 11:33 AM   #7
Pow Wow Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post

Literary Criticism --

Politics and Activism:

Biography --

Philosophy --

History --

Philosophy --

This sounds like a book I would like to read .. how would you rate this book ..is it what you expected and is it worth it's money.. is this a book with legends and stories can you tell me more
thanks LWWI
Old 10-25-2009, 04:02 PM   #8
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
All of your bad rep points, eh? I have indeed read all of these books – except Hundred In the Hand, which is in my to be read pile.

My name is Rose and I am (*dramatic pause*) a book fanatic; it is so bad Amazon.com was a dependent on my last tax return, LOL.

Shall I start with one of my favorite authors….

Ceremony by Leslie Silko --

Her first novel, if I am not mistaken. In my opinion, it is also an important novel, because along with Momaday's early novels, D'Arcy McNickle, and James Welch, it gave literary voice to the indigenist and Native nationalist voice of the '60's and 70's.

It follows the recovery of a mixed-blood Native WWII vet suffering PSTD. Ultimately, he recovers by undergoing a healing ceremony and coming to see -- and defy -- the pattern of destruction loosened on the world through the instrument (not by) of white people. As it weaves together the threads of the ceremony, it moves back and forth through time and space, incorporating elements of oral tradition, memory, and ceremony.

The prose is lyrical, and evocative. However, it can be a tough read if you're not a fan of 1960-70's era experimental novels. I've probably read it two dozen times and see something new every read.

"Auntie got out her black church shoes and wiped them carefully with a clean damp cloth, putting her finger inside the cloth and cleaning around each of the eyelets where the laces were strung; she examined them closely by the lamp on the table to make sure that any dust or spots of dirt left from last Sunday had been removed. She had gone to church alone, for as long as Tayo could remember; although she told him she prayed they would be baptized, she never asked any of them... Later on Tayo wondered if she liked it that way, going to church by herself, so she could show people she wasn't immoral or a pagan like the rest of the family. When it came to saving her soul she wanted to be careful that there were no mistakes."
--Leslie Marmon-Silko, Ceremony, New York: Viking Penguin, 1977, p 77.

Most college, university and big city libraries will have a copy. It is available in a couple paperback editions of varying prices.

The House Made of Dawn by N. Scott Momaday

Like Ceremony, this is very much a novel reflecting the same indigenist currents of the termination and early post-termination era. Its style reflects the stream of consciousness and multiple points of view so common in experimental novels of the time. Again, it is a challenging novel to read.

It too deals with the disruption of health and community life caused by cultural dislocation, following the cyclical journey of Able from Jemez to war to jail to Los Angeles then back to Jemez. In my opinion, it is a darkly pessimistic novel offering a disturbing view of broken Native lives. Yet it has so many stunningly beautiful passages. I read it over every couple of years even though I need Prozac afterwards. Momaday's command of language and image is such that bits will stick in your head and roll off your tongue long after.

"I went out on the dirt road to Rainy Mountain. It was already hot, and the grasshoppers began to fill the air. Still, it was early in the morning and the birds sang out of the shadows. The long yellow grass on the mountain shone in the bright light, and a scissortail hied above the land. There, where it ought to be, at the end of the long and legendary way, was my grandmother's grave. Here and there on the dark stones were the dear ancestral names. Looking back once, I saw the mountain and came away."
---N. Scott Momaday, The House Made of Dawn, New York: Harper and Row, 1968, p133.

Most college, university and big city libraries will have a copy. It is widely available in a somewhat pricey paperback edition.

The House Made of Dawn, Ceremony and Surrounded (D'Arcy McNickle) are so revered in Native lit courses that Alexie, or maybe it was Penn, poked fun at their enshrinement by naming characters in a poem after the protagonists Tayo, Narcisse, and Able.

Waterlily by Ella Cara Deloria.

This story is a good read on its own. By modern standards, the style is bit stilted, reflecting the literary conventions of early 20th century romantic novels. It is the story of a woman's life in a Lakota camp just before the period of heavy military conflict. It is heavy with references to and reflections on the beneficial behavior patterns produced by proper adherence to appropriate kinship responsibilities.

What makes it so interesting is that it is based on Deloria's work as field researcher conducting interviews and translating Lakota texts for Franz Boas. The details of 19th century Lakota camp life are rich, nuanced and correct. Much of the same information was covered in her posthumously published ethnographic work The Dakota Way. Her work is some of the most Native-ethos influenced ethnography and linguistics of that era. That scholarly material is encapsulated in the novel.

Ascending Red Cedar Moon by Daune Niatum

Taste or lack of taste for poetry is so subjective, that it is hard to recommend to anyone you don't know fairly well. Besides this book is long out of print. Your only access to it is specialty used bookstores and libraries. (I got mine by through the kind auspices of a friend who handed incoming books for a large used bookstore in Houston, who called me anytime he got something he thought I'd like.)

…/The rippling stream divides the Pueblo/Into two villages of the sun,/And like sound without echo, flows/Through the valley and plunges underground./White buffalo bury our prayers in the clay….

- from "Taos Pueblo" by Daune Niatum, Ascending Red Cedar Moon, Harper & Row, 1974, p16.

Halfbreed Chronicles by Wendy Rose.

…as you laughed in your sherry / from porches and doors / white washed with your joke / that we seemed so satisfied / with what you left / and nothing you can do / will stop us / as we re-make / your weapons into charms, / send flying back to you the bullets….

"Naayawva Taawi" by Wendy Rose, Halfbreed Chronicles, West End Press, 1985, pp. 34-35.

Like most volumes of Native poetry this book is hard to find. However, Rose's works are frequently found in anthologies of Native literature. These tend to end up in the used bookstores where they have been dumped by students who've just finished their liberal arts requirement.

Winter of the Holy Iron by Joseph Marshall III.

This novel depicts the struggles of a tiyospaye who grapples with the power of a newly introduced firearm. Like Marshall's other works, Winter of the Holy Iron is a well-crafted, occasionally inspired, tale. The style is lucid and enjoyable. The characters' struggles to understand a still distant culture that produced and used the "holy iron", and to place the item within an appropriate context are intriguing .

Novels are not Marshall's usual mode. Most of his work is non-fiction, biographical or semi-biographical tales illustrating various aspects of traditional Lakota philosophy and life-skills.

I've never quite put a finger on who exactly is Marshall's target audience. His non-fiction works are well distributed, so he must have reasonable sales to a general audience. Sometimes I think, he is speaking to outsiders trying to access "Native wisdom", other times his subject matter is so firmly based within the Lakota ethos that I think it is an outgrowth of his role as tribal college prof. I eagerly buy everything he writes because I find useful insights in his books.

Most of his books are available at good-sized libraries. You will find his stuff in larger chain books stores. He is a frequent guest on BookTV.

Sadly since the demise of Salt of the Earth Booksellers I can't think of single bookstore I've been in that gives a good selection for browsing for Native authored materials. http://nativeauthors.com/, Amazon.com or interlibrary loan are about the only games in town for accessing the more obscure materials.

I'll shut up now that I have made most people regret that I ever responded to this thread.
Broken Arrow likes this.

Last edited by OLChemist; 10-26-2009 at 02:50 PM..
Old 10-25-2009, 09:20 PM   #9
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingWaterWI View Post
Philosophy --

This sounds like a book I would like to read .. how would you rate this book ..is it what you expected and is it worth it's money.. is this a book with legends and stories can you tell me more
thanks LWWI

Sorry, I should have used the underline. That is actually referring to four different books.

Marshall tends to use storytelling -- historical pieces, oral tradition, tales of early reservation life, biographical recollections -- to teach about the mindset underlying the explicitly stated values of the Lakota way. Some of his tales strike me as a the stories a vet or elder may tell to explain why they have a right to instruct people about something.

The Dance House

This is a series of stories and essays illustrating various points in Lakota history or Lakota culture. He addresses events that have and continue to effect Lakota life -- boarding schools, Dawes Act, the Indian Insane Asylum, blood quanta, language, pride.... For the most part he uses stories to illustrate his point and only rarely do the pieces leave the narrative voice.

On Behalf of the Wolf and the First Peoples

This is a collection of essays, I think, targeting a non-Native audience. It deals with Lakota viewpoints on history, art, archery, movies, hunting, and traveling to Siberia.

Walking with Grandfather

This a collection of biographical essays with the common theme of lessons learned from his grandparents. Like much of his later work, these stories develop a Lakota-centric approach to dealing with life's big and little tragedies and joys. There are stories dealing with leadership qualities, family and so on.

Keep Going

This is a novel full of stories illustrating how to develop perseverance. It is sort of a Lakota themed book of encouragement and instruction for passing through adversity.

I hope by describing these a philosophy, I didn't led to expectations of esoteric spiritual discussions. Most of Marshall's work deals with illustration and exploration of virtues espoused by traditional Lakota culture.

I enjoy Marshall's work, but I do not recommend reading these in mass. The cumulative tone is a bit overwhelming. I would try checking them out one or two from the library.
windanncer and Broken Arrow like this.

Last edited by OLChemist; 10-25-2009 at 09:22 PM..
Old 04-21-2017, 02:12 AM   #10
Teen Dancer

Broken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond reputeBroken Arrow has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,911.43
To those interested newcomers who search for recommended books, this is a thread is a treasure.

OlChemist's art of writing on such matters is rarely encountered anywhere else. Thank OLChemist you for your writing.

As an observation, it took me some time to find this thread. Perhaps there is an opportunity to place this thread in a way as which puts it visible at the right place to be found by those who come here for the first time?

True peace between nations will only happen when there is true peace within people’s souls.
Black Elk

“Tell me, and I will listen.
Show me, and I will understand.
Involve me, and I will learn.”
Lakota Proverb

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time,
Enjoying one moment at a time,
Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace.
(Reinhold Niebuhr, but the origin is debated)
Broken Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links