Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life Navajo Fashion Show at Trickster Gallery Navajo Fashion Show at Trickster Gallery

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-21-2009, 06:19 PM   #1
~NDN MAMA~

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
ndnmama80 is just really nice
Credits: 737.41
Savings: 0.00
Navajo Fashion Show at Trickster Gallery

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ADMINI%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-4.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ADMINI%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-5.jpg[/IMG]

NAVAJO FASHION SHOW WILL TURN HEADS AT TRICKSTER GALLERY

June 13th, 2009 Schaumburg, IL-The American Indian Center of Chicago’s Trickster Gallery is excited to announce its very first Navajo Fashion Show. Up-and-coming Navajo designer, LeAnn Ward, along with her mother Lillian Bancroft from Arizona, will showcase their one-of-a-kind traditional and contemporary designs on the runway. Their beautiful fashions will be modeled by young Native American girls and boys, ages newborn to teens, from the Chicago area. This event is the first of its kind in Chicago.

“I started sewing in mid-2007, but before that I always used to design my own clothing in high school and have my mom sew them for me. I knew that I always wanted to carry on the tradition of sewing, and once I became a mother, it was my calling to start,” says designer LeAnn Ward. “My mother Lillian Bancroft has been sewing since junior high. To this day she sews for her mother, my Grandma Nez Bancroft, whose naturally woven rug will be in the show as well. My Grandma is a rug weaver and pottery maker who speaks only Navajo.”
The public is welcome to attend at 190 South Roselle Road in Schaumburg, IL. There you can enjoy music performed by the current Miss Indian Chicago 2009, Arissa Yolanda St. Germaine, as well as 2008’s Miss Indian Chicago, Jasmine Alfonso. On hand will be local Native arts and crafts vendors, with traditional Native American food being served.

Designs by LeAnn Ward have previously been exhibited as part of the Native American Women’s Artists Guild and Spirited Daughters, which are both Chicago area organizations featuring Native American female artists. This is her and her mother’s first show, and will represent three generations, as LeAnn’s daughters will be modeling during the show. The designs will be on display in the gallery through the end of August and available for purchase.

In addition to the Navajo Fashion Show, Trickster Gallery will be opening two new exhibits June 13: The Office of Indian Education’s 2008 student competition exhibit “Circle of Empowerment: Education, Language, Culture, Tradition” and its first multicultural show by 2009 graduates of the American Academy of Art in Chicago.

For additional information on the Navajo Fashion Show and other events, contact LeAnn or Monica, or visit www.myspace.com/trickstergallery.

Trickster Gallery opened its doors in 2005, as an extension of the American Indian Center of Chicago’s arts programming. The American Indian Center is the oldest urban Indian Center in the country, serving the Chicago area for almost 56 years. The gallery features contemporary art from Native artists from all over the country, and has featured award-winning Native performers. The gallery regularly conducts school and group tours, has film screenings every Friday, and Native American book club bi-monthly. Events include cultural workshops, powwows, concerts, Native arts market, book signings, artist talks, demonstrations and more.

www.myspace.com/ndnmama

Last edited by ndnmama80; 05-21-2009 at 06:38 PM..
ndnmama80 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links