Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree10Likes
  • 5 Post By wardancer
  • 3 Post By OLChemist
  • 2 Post By SsmalltownNDN

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Music Best Native American records to use to make hip hop beats! Best Native American records to use to make hip hop beats!

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-30-2014, 08:26 AM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
amanuel is off the scaleamanuel is off the scaleamanuel is off the scaleamanuel is off the scaleamanuel is off the scaleamanuel is off the scaleamanuel is off the scaleamanuel is off the scaleamanuel is off the scaleamanuel is off the scaleamanuel is off the scaleamanuel is off the scaleamanuel is off the scaleamanuel is off the scaleamanuel is off the scale
Credits: 104.26
Savings: 0.00
Question Best Native American records to use to make hip hop beats!

I'm a hip hop producer located in Norway. I recently stubled upon some Native American music on youtube and was blown away!

Now I'm looking for good quality recordings of Native American music. Pure instruments or pure mantra vocals are very welcome. Throat singing is cool, but now what I'm looking for!

Could you guide me to some good records, sountracks, videos or other Native American music I could sample and flip into hip hop beats?

Thank you!
amanuel is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-30-2014, 01:03 PM   #2
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 49,290.16
Savings: 1.00
And you would like for US to tell you which of the songs you should b*st*rdize into something else ? Sorry , we have enough problems of our own , dealing with those that steal our culture.

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
wardancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2014, 07:47 PM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

amanuel is off the scaleamanuel is off the scaleamanuel is off the scaleamanuel is off the scaleamanuel is off the scaleamanuel is off the scaleamanuel is off the scaleamanuel is off the scaleamanuel is off the scaleamanuel is off the scaleamanuel is off the scaleamanuel is off the scaleamanuel is off the scaleamanuel is off the scaleamanuel is off the scale
Credits: 104.26
Lightbulb I'm AMAZED

Througout my life of almost 20 winters, I have gotten little but consistant impressions of Native Americans. Usualy steriotyped through commedies like the Simpsons. But here in Norway we took them for what they were; exaggerations.

I want to showcase this culture through my art, because I think it's amazing. Not deminish it. The whole point of a culture is to spread and help people through this journey on earth.

Whats more, is that the western world NEEDS the messages you hold. I mean have you heard the 100 Billboard charts latly?? Even in Norway the #1 most played record early 2014 was Pitbul featuring KE$$A....... Opening line of the firt verse is The bigger they are/ the harder they fall
This biggity boy’s a diggity dog. Great music for clubbing at 2 am, but not so good for teen girls to go around and listen to.

Looking apart from the fact that musically Hip Hop and Native American music has alot in common, like the most fundamental facturs such as similar tempo, rhythmic drums and repeted matras.

And hip hop has prooven to reviwe many genras like 80s soul music through early Kanye West beats like "All Falls down", or classicle music through the NAS record "I Can".

As for me, I'm just an artist that like both, and whant to use both to create something new and more awesomer things. Becasue revelutionary ideas is only two create consepts combined. The thing you use now is nothing but a typewriter and a television combined. Just as violin is just some good carpentry and some dead cats, just as the Native American we hear now is a ressult of hunderds of thousands of years of evelution through different tribes collaborating and mixing styles the music and the culture will continue to mix and mingle. I think the music is really cool and I will sample it and use it in my works, even if it's just a flute or a friend of my singing from his troat, or just some drums. But I rather do it with the guindance from the people that grew up this music around, you know it far better then I do.

So heres to great music and evelution! Cheers!

Last edited by amanuel; 01-31-2014 at 07:50 PM..
amanuel is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-01-2014, 12:29 AM   #4
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 47,231.08
Welcome to powwows.com. Respectfully, I'm going to have to disagree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanuel View Post
I want to showcase this culture through my art, because I think it's amazing.
We can speak for ourselves. I'm an artist and I can showcase my own culture.

I puzzled that you think it is amazing, but different strokes for different folks. However, the mere fact that you speak of us as having as one culture, tells me you know nothing about the diverse range of Native cultures and languages. How could you possibly share any of our cultures with others?

Quote:
The whole point of a culture is to spread and help people through this journey on earth.
Wake up and smell the cultural myopia. This is a very western view of the purpose and use of human culture. My people feel no missionary urge to share our ways with you. We do not feel the need to convert or save others. Our ways are for our people.

Quote:
Whats more, is that the western world NEEDS the messages you hold.
For five centuries, Europe has been made wealthy by the material plunder of the New World. Many of us feel no need to contribute to your spiritual enrichment. We're too busy with the needs of communities ravaged by 500 years of colonization.

Quote:
I think the music is really cool and I will sample it and use it in my works, even if it's just a flute or a friend of my singing from his troat, or just some drums. But I rather do it with the guindance from the people that grew up this music around, you know it far better then I do.
Let me tell you what I hear in the above -- colonial privilege! You are in essence saying: "I have decided to do this. If you won't agree to help me, then I will do it without you. Because I really don't care what you think about the appropriation of your intellectual and cultural property. My 'higher' purpose is more important."
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-03-2014, 09:06 PM   #5
Tiny Tot Dancer

Items Guitar
SsmalltownNDN has a reputation beyond reputeSsmalltownNDN has a reputation beyond repute
SsmalltownNDN has a reputation beyond reputeSsmalltownNDN has a reputation beyond reputeSsmalltownNDN has a reputation beyond reputeSsmalltownNDN has a reputation beyond reputeSsmalltownNDN has a reputation beyond reputeSsmalltownNDN has a reputation beyond reputeSsmalltownNDN has a reputation beyond reputeSsmalltownNDN has a reputation beyond reputeSsmalltownNDN has a reputation beyond reputeSsmalltownNDN has a reputation beyond reputeSsmalltownNDN has a reputation beyond reputeSsmalltownNDN has a reputation beyond reputeSsmalltownNDN has a reputation beyond reputeSsmalltownNDN has a reputation beyond reputeSsmalltownNDN has a reputation beyond reputeSsmalltownNDN has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 3,135.67
I would recommend not doing anything with our music or any of our cultures. But chances are good that it will be done... and probably with that annoying HEY ya ya ya HEY ya ya ya HEY ya ya ya tone. You are bound to piss off a LOT of people if you go against our word and continue on. We don't want our songs turned into hip hop, or any other type of "Music" for that matter. Just.... no. Not to sound like a douche, but it is what it is. And if you do go against our word, please do your research. Make sure that you use an intertribal pow wow song because I would sure hate to be you if you use a prayer/honor song from one of our MANY nations. That would be bad, and that is all I will say about the subject.
KewlMohawkGirl and Mushbear like this.
SsmalltownNDN is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links