Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Entertainment All Things Comic Book All Things Comic Book

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-20-2011, 06:27 PM   #81
Junior Dancer

Items Present
I dug "Swamp Thing" too, my brother and I watched it one sun or sat afternoon right after it hit VHS.

Yes it's dated, but well it is after all from the hallowed pages of House of Secrets #92
(July 1971)

and

Swamp Thing Vol. 1 #1 (November 1972
Make your daughters see the wisdom of dating/marrying DORKS not thugs. The most dangerous thing about Dorks is they just might kick too many people's tails on a video game or play GI Joe or Transformers with their kids. Or worse yet know way way too much about dinosaurs...

MaileenasDad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-22-2011, 09:15 AM   #82
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
elokuu is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Yay, I love comics and graphic novels, but tend to read the more "indie" stuff & have pretty much missed out on Marvel, DC etc. Although I was a huge fan of the Sandman series in my teens...anything by Neil Gaiman basically.

Favourites include Max Andersson's pitch-black surreal humour in comics like Pixy and Death&Candy, published by Fantagraphics Books (I think) and Robert Crumb of course...Stylistically, I love Anke Feuchtenberger, absolutely beautiful drawing.

I also really like reportage/autobiographical comics, like Joe Sacco's Palestine and Marjane Satrapi's Persepolis series. The Persepolis animated film was good also!

Oh yeah, and I like to read old Flash Gordon and Superman comics for the camp factor...
elokuu is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-24-2011, 04:52 AM   #83
It is useless to resist.

Items ElephantDevilPresentGuitar
Ndnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond repute
Ndnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 101,368.83
Savings: 52.80
still into the old X-Men story lines from 80's and 90's...and Punisher titles.

R.I.P. my Bros from the 1st MAR DIV, 3rd MAR DIV, 25th I.D., 10th MTN DIV, V Corps, 170th IBCT who gave their lives in the Cold War, Marines we lost in Korea during Team Spirit '89 & Okinawa '89- bodies never recovered, Panama, 1st Gulf War, Somalia, Afghanistan, Iraq...

Ndnsoldierboy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-24-2011, 06:20 PM   #84
crazywolf

crazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 338.47
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwashee View Post
what are these books all about? ive heard of them before and curiuous??
Hey niji,

This storyline first started out as a TV series called Firefly. It has a medium size cult following. The series did not last one season, mostly because of, I guess, some hate between the FOX network and Joss Whedon, the creator and writer. It was a kind of space opera meets western type of show, and the shows were high adventure mixed in with some intrigue and good comedy. It was a mix that could not go wrong but the network killed it after only airing 11 episodes.

The thing I really liked about the show was its realism. I mean, in just about every space opera like Star Trek or Star Wars, for some reason they feel like sound effects are a big part of space battles. In reality, in space there is no air to carry sound, so how would you hear an explosion or for that matter a laser beam? Firefly had a lot of space shots like that, and the only thing you can hear on those scenes is the soundtrack. It was really cool, and upset a lot of people when it was killed. Joss was undeterred, at first he wanted to do the show on another network, but FOX owned a lot of rights to "Firefly" so another TV show was out of the question. But the dedicated fan base convinced Joss to make a movie called "Serenity". Now the only thing comming from Joss are these graphic novels for Serenity and also Buffy the Vampire Slayer et al. Buffy and Angel are Joss's two other creations, both of which were killed at the same time as Firefly. Joss is also an active writer for movies and was one of the co-writers for Titan AE.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:09 PM   #85
Junior Dancer

Items Present
Anyone remember "What If # 50" the What if Hulk killed Wolverine issue?

Good stuff fanboys/girls!

I have the vol. 2 shiny card stock cover one.

Good story, I believe there is a What if
Wolverine Killed Hulk in What if Issue 31 Vol. 1

Later Niji's
Make your daughters see the wisdom of dating/marrying DORKS not thugs. The most dangerous thing about Dorks is they just might kick too many people's tails on a video game or play GI Joe or Transformers with their kids. Or worse yet know way way too much about dinosaurs...

Old 01-24-2011, 09:40 PM   #86
Eskimo wannabe

Items ElephantTreasure ChestPresentPresent
vBActivity Stats
Achievements Happy 10th AnniversaryHappy 5th AnniversaryEverybody Loves Me!Posting GodThe Popular One
neling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond repute
neling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaileenasDad View Post
Anyone remember "What If # 50" the What if Hulk killed Wolverine issue?

Good stuff fanboys/girls!

I have the vol. 2 shiny card stock cover one.

Good story, I believe there is a What if
Wolverine Killed Hulk in What if Issue 31 Vol. 1

Later Niji's
I remember it. I have it in my collection somewhere. It's not unpacked yet.

I found a Beast Boy action figure at Wal-Mart yesterday! As soon as I get all my books in place, Garfield Logan will guard my Teen Titans, as Nightcrawler and Wolverine guard my X-Men. I'm going to find a place for Doctor Victor Von Doom as well.

Last edited by neling4; 01-25-2011 at 01:04 AM..
neling4 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-25-2011, 11:10 AM   #87
It is useless to resist.

Ndnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond repute
Ndnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond reputeNdnsoldierboy has a reputation beyond repute
I remember when the What If... Conan Killed Thor?
What If...And Punisher Killed Daredevil?

The Watcher was always cool...seeing all the different realities, and alternate universes.

another good story line was the Spidey and the Sinister Six.

R.I.P. my Bros from the 1st MAR DIV, 3rd MAR DIV, 25th I.D., 10th MTN DIV, V Corps, 170th IBCT who gave their lives in the Cold War, Marines we lost in Korea during Team Spirit '89 & Okinawa '89- bodies never recovered, Panama, 1st Gulf War, Somalia, Afghanistan, Iraq...

Old 01-25-2011, 08:01 PM   #88
Junior Dancer

Items Present
Did any of you ever collect any Image,Extreme Studio,Homage old skool stuff?

My favs were:

StormWatch
The Maxx
Brigade
Bloodstrike
Wet Works first run

although I was a fan of Maxx, i never baught any

and for the record:

I much prefer holding on to my books too the scanned digital copies from the net etc

it's just my preference, the whole comic book experience man...

Old 01-25-2011, 08:10 PM   #89
Eskimo wannabe

vBActivity Stats
Achievements Happy 10th AnniversaryHappy 5th AnniversaryEverybody Loves Me!Posting GodThe Popular One
neling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond repute
neling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond reputeneling4 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Did any of you ever collect any Image,Extreme Studio,Homage old skool stuff?

My favs were:

StormWatch
The Maxx
Brigade
Bloodstrike
Wet Works first run

although I was a fan of Maxx, i never baught any
No. Not me. I think I've heard of some of them. Are they Indie?

Quote:

and for the record:

I much prefer holding on to my books too the scanned digital copies from the net etc

it's just my preference, the whole comic book experience man...
Definitely! You can hold them and hug them and kiss them and wrinkle them up if you love them too much (like I do to all my favorite Nighty books) and they smell nice too...like paper!

You can't do that very well with a computer. It kinda smudges your screen if you kiss it too much.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:40 PM   #90
Junior Dancer

Items Present
Talking

no, they are from the splinter faction who broke from Marvel & DC in the early 90's.

The likes of Jim Lefield, Jae Lee, among others. WildCats is another title of Image as is Young Blood. Cyber Force... etc

check em out, just google Image Comics and Extreme Studios. I cAN'T remember all the old skool folks who started those companies, but some of thier books are still going strong, in one shape or another

Old 01-26-2011, 03:14 PM   #91
Eskimo wannabe

vBActivity Stats
I have one W.I.L.D. Cats book: The Image and Marvel crossover The WildC.A.T.s/X-Men: Modern Age,with art by Adam Hughes.

Last edited by neling4; 01-26-2011 at 03:19 PM..
Old 02-09-2011, 04:02 AM   #92
It is useless to resist.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:04 AM   #93
It is useless to resist.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:52 PM   #94
Junior Dancer

Items Present
Talking

I got like a handful of those from a flea market when I was like in middle school, dig it! they are long gone now sadly. But they were quite avant garde` I think.

Hell they spawned the game franchise, rocky as it has been.

Yay a blast from the past, right on ISB!

Old 09-10-2011, 02:23 AM   #95
Junior Dancer

Items Present
I guess the film "Priest" was based off a graphic novel. Hmmmm musta been a kick azz read. I love comic books man Remember make mine "Knights of the Dinner Table"

Old 09-23-2011, 08:27 AM   #96
Pow Wow Visitor

kindy is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 130.70
Now there is a book that was not authorized by the comic code. And it was so good, thought provoking and twisted. There is a reason why they didnt want kids readin this stuff. I know you said not just Marvel, but there was a point in time where I read the Avengers pretty consistently. This goes back as far as the first disbanding of the Avengers in the late 1970s. My favorites there were Thor and Iron Man. I see that they've brought this comic back starting in March of this year, but I haven't had a chance to check it out yet.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:06 AM   #97
Junior Dancer

Items Present
which comic

Old 10-08-2011, 08:43 AM   #98
I'm a bad influence on ME

Items GuitarPanda
trouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond repute
trouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond repute
Location: jaw-ja, you know, way down yonder in the land of cotton....
Credits: 26,775.11
www.cracked.com

Just thought I'd share ...
http://www.cracked.com/blog/man-comi..._ibsrc=fanpage

"Daddy would have gotten us Uzis."

Subeeds Said:Want to borrow my .30/.30 or do you have your own weapon?

Pigheaded said: "How come noone ever wants to pull pork?"

Joe'sDad said:"Wait. I can do without sweet. Just make it black...like my heart!"
trouble is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2011, 05:43 PM   #99
Eskimo wannabe

vBActivity Stats
Quote:
Originally Posted by trouble View Post
Not my style.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:43 PM   #100
Eskimo wannabe

vBActivity Stats
Quote:
I guess the film "Priest" was based off a graphic novel. Hmmmm musta been a kick azz read. I love comic books man Remember make mine "Knights of the Dinner Table"
Knights of the Dinner Table? Who what where and when?

NM, I found it:

http://www.kenzerco.com/Operiodicals...pslideshow.php

Last edited by neling4; 10-08-2011 at 05:45 PM..
Sponsored Links