• 3 Post By MoonWoman
  • 1 Post By milehighsalute
  • 1 Post By Josiah
  • 1 Post By RestlessN8iv
  • 1 Post By Zeke
  • 1 Post By yaahl
  • 1 Post By RestlessN8iv
  • 1 Post By Zeke

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Entertainment "Disney courts Indian Country, ignores Native media" "Disney courts Indian Country, ignores Native media"

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 06:00 AM   #1
Agent of Chaos

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
RestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond repute
RestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 10,230.60
Savings: 0.00
"Disney courts Indian Country, ignores Native media"

On the topic of "The Lone Ranger" I just received an email from the Native American Journalist Association (of whom I am a member) that they have not been granted credentials to attend the premiere. Not that NAJA is automatically entitled to attend the premier or anything, but given the subject, and characters of the film, you'd think Disney would want NAJA there.

Quote:
Disney courts Indian Country, ignores Native media

NAJA supports inclusion of diverse media in coverage of "The Lone Ranger"

Media Release
Native American Journalists Association

NORMAN, Okla. -- The Native American Journalists Association was informed that press junkets associated with the premiere of the movie "The Lone Ranger" have been well attended by journalists but not by Native journalists.

While Disney has attempted to reach out to Native American audiences with the film, they have curiously forgotten to invite media from Indian Country to cover it.

National Native News, a national Native American radio program based in Albuquerque, N.M., made several requests for access to a press event in Santa Fe, N.M., June 19, however, these were not granted. Disney did issue a response to NNN at the conclusion of the event.

A large portion of the film was shot on the Navajo Nation. While some Native media groups were contacted about attending the film's premiere in Oklahoma, the New Mexico premiere has Native media groups that should have also been included in press events. New Mexico is home to 22 tribes, nations and Pueblos, as well as many NAJA members and Native reporters.

NAJA has always strived for the inclusion of diversity in media. With "The Lone Ranger" featuring a prominent actor portraying a Native American, in a film largely shot on Native land, we are left with two answers to why tribal media has not been involved in coverage: Disney forgot to reach out to Native reporters, or Disney purposefully ignored Native reporters.

Both possibilities raise additional, troubling questions.

NAJA urges Disney to grant credentials for future events to Native American media outlets so they can report alongside their counterparts. With a constant lack of ethnic diversity in mainstream media, NAJA asks that Disney include Native reporters and allow actual representatives of Native nations the opportunity to report on issues and films that attempt to represent Native people.
windanncer and Spiritflight like this.

"Don't trust anyone who isn't hungry."
- Me
RestlessN8iv is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #2
Standing Rock

Items PresentDevilElephant
Credits: 83,998.92
Savings: 1.00
xTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond repute
xTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond repute
That does it, I'm not watching it in the theater!
windanncer likes this.
xTekno is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-21-2013, 03:11 PM   #3
Tiny Tot Dancer

MoonWoman has a reputation beyond repute
MoonWoman has a reputation beyond reputeMoonWoman has a reputation beyond reputeMoonWoman has a reputation beyond reputeMoonWoman has a reputation beyond reputeMoonWoman has a reputation beyond reputeMoonWoman has a reputation beyond reputeMoonWoman has a reputation beyond reputeMoonWoman has a reputation beyond reputeMoonWoman has a reputation beyond reputeMoonWoman has a reputation beyond reputeMoonWoman has a reputation beyond reputeMoonWoman has a reputation beyond reputeMoonWoman has a reputation beyond reputeMoonWoman has a reputation beyond reputeMoonWoman has a reputation beyond reputeMoonWoman has a reputation beyond reputeMoonWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,037.41
Most likey, Disney fears backlash from the Native American community. They don't want bad press. I feel as though, although many might have done their best to ensure support from the Native American communities, there will be some (if not many) offences in the film. I mean... it is Disney. I already see Johnny Depp as a caricature in the role of Tonto. The costume, the dialect, not to mention he is white... Has film not made any cultural advances in the past hundred years...? I'm surprised he even accepted the role.
MoonWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-21-2013, 10:08 PM   #4
Dances With Fat Chicks

milehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
milehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 27,237.05
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonWoman View Post
Most likey, Disney fears backlash from the Native American community. They don't want bad press. I feel as though, although many might have done their best to ensure support from the Native American communities, there will be some (if not many) offences in the film. I mean... it is Disney. I already see Johnny Depp as a caricature in the role of Tonto. The costume, the dialect, not to mention he is white... Has film not made any cultural advances in the past hundred years...? I'm surprised he even accepted the role.
why would you be surprised? depp is an ACTOR and as much as he tries to be "friends" of the natives or whatever he is trying he is STILL just an actor....and what are actors motivated by? MONEY and FAME so even if he was a good friend to the indians and every single indian in the US/canada told him it was wrong he would STILL do it.....depp is gonna be an actor no matter what.....and disney is gonna do what they do no matter what....and that is MAKE MONEY regardless of our feelings....the zionist sociopaths who run hollywood really only care about a dollar being made and the only time a company "apologizes" for something it is only done post-humorously or because someone is making a bigger stink than they can handle......they know it angers natives.....but they will do it anyways
windanncer likes this.
milehighsalute is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-21-2013, 10:51 PM   #5
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 35,279.06
He is Lawton Oklahoma right now!
This was taken 2 hours ago at the premier:

windanncer likes this.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:48 AM   #6
Agent of Chaos

RestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond reputeRestlessN8iv has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonWoman View Post
I'm on the fence about Colonel Depp if for no other reason than I have a lot of respect for him.

I'm not surprised that Tonto is a caricature, it's sort of what he's always been. I know the preferred term is "Uncle Tomahawk", but I've always used the phrase "uncle Tonto" Mainly because it as a nice ring to it, but also because I find the Lone Ranger's trusty side kick to be the one of closest thing to an American Indian Uncle Tom in fiction.
windanncer likes this.

- Me
Old 06-22-2013, 05:24 PM   #7
Self-Righteous Injun

Items Treasure ChestPresentTreasure ChestPresent
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 17,915.80
We're 0.5% of the population of the United States, there's not a lot of bargaining power there.
windanncer likes this.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2013, 10:55 AM   #8
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 42,587.55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
We're 0.5% of the population of the United States, there's not a lot of bargaining power there.
We have our own TV network up here... ATPN. It's included in most basic cable packages.

We're sitting at about 4.3% of the Cdn population. (now those numbers are only for status - not Metis and Inuit)

We are considered the fastest growing demographic sector under 25 - Our numbers have doubled since 1980.

When you do that, you get your own National TV network. (who'da thunk that?)
windanncer likes this.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. — Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.
yaahl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-21-2013, 02:44 AM   #9
Agent of Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
By Crom! That low? We need to get to work bringing those numbers up!

windanncer likes this.

- Me
Old 07-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #10
Self-Righteous Injun

Items Treasure ChestPresentTreasure ChestPresent
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 17,915.80
I've tried... :)
windanncer likes this.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links