Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Entertainment Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince - What did you think? Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince - What did you think?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-2009, 10:29 AM   #1
Webmaster

Items PresentUser Name Style ChangeSteal PointsCake
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Paul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond repute
Paul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 9,940.82
Savings: 0.00
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince - What did you think?

Have you seen the movie? Post your review here!
Paul G is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-15-2009, 11:01 AM   #2
Webmaster

Items PresentUser Name Style ChangeSteal PointsCake
Paul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond repute
Paul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 9,940.82
I went to see the movie with the other hardcore fans at 12:01 am last night! Here in Columbia, there were 2,000 people there for the 12:01! And the sold out the 12:30 and then had a 3:30 am showing. Should be a great opening weekend for the Boy Who Lived.

If you haven't read the book or seen the movie and don't want to be spoiled, please don't read the rest of this message!

***Spoiler Warning***

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Some of my favorite scenes from the series take place in Book 6. I was anticipating seeing these scenes on the big screen. The movie excelled at the scenes it included. But several were disappointingly missing.

The director did include several small touches that will excite the fandom! Seeing Luna in her lion head hat is great! Having Ron run from Hermonie's bird was hilarious! And many more of these tiny details made this a fun time.

Before the movie started, my friend and I tried to guess which scenes would be included and which would not. We were thrilled to see the unbreakable vow, Weasley's Wizard Wheezes, Arago's funeral, and several others.

But then there was the additional scene not in the book! The Death Eater's attack the Burrow? What? Why? I'm still not sure what the point of that scene was. And then to have Harry run after Bellatrix, leaving everyone behind? That just left me shaking my head.

There were also scenes that were changed slightly from the book that also left me wondering the reasoning. Why did Luna have to find Harry on the train? I thought at first they were just leaving Tonks out to save on salary, but then she made several appearances.

Did they have to have Harry fall in the water and be sucked down during the Horcrux scene? Isn't that dramatic enough the way it was written?

And then there was the death scene. Why not freeze Harry like in the book? Having him watch passively in the shadows made Harry look like a coward. While he isn't the best wizard, he is no coward that hides while his friends are in trouble.

The movie built us up to the climax of several plot lines. One of the biggest build ups was Harry and Ginny. But am I the only one that felt cheated by the payoff? Just a quick kiss in the Room of Requirement? And then no other scenes with them together?

And I was so looking forward to seeing the DA fight against the Death Eaters as they flee the castle. The final battle scene after the death is too quick and leaves me feeling unresolved.

But my biggest disappointment is the ending. Dumbledore, the greatest wizard of all time, is dead. Where is the funeral? Where is the Phoenix Song? Centaurs? Merpeople? That would have been the ultimate climax for this movie and the perfect setup for the trios start of their quest in Book 7.

Overall I'm very excited about The Half Blood Prince. I'm looking forward to seeing it again. But I can't help but wonder about the decisions made. Have these directors read the series?
Paul G is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-29-2009, 05:45 PM   #3
Powwows.com Princess

Items Panda
ugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond repute
ugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond reputeugidali has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,530.89
Didn't like the way they ended it

________
ugidali is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links