Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Recipes Baked Rotini - Red or White Baked Rotini - Red or White

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-26-2008, 05:46 PM   #1
Great Uncle Patrick

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,691.96
Savings: 1.00
Baked Rotini - Red or White

Life has intervened in the last 3 months and I haven't been here as often as I would like (but I can see lots of goot looking new recipes!)

Here's one that was "invented" because of the "what can be made ahead of time and use what we got in the house" factor. It's your basic "sauce-noodles-stuff to put in the sauce-cheese-turn the oven on it's cold" recipes.

Red

1/2 jar of canned spaghetti sauce
1 lb ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped (optional)
2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped (optional)
8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced** (optional)
**or use drained canned mushrooms
1 small can of chopped black olives (optional)
2T olive oil (optional)
1 C. grated cheese (I used mozzarella but cheddar or even grated parmesan works)

1 lb rotini noodles
1 T. olive oil

Prepare the rotini noodles according to the package instructions - add 1 T. of olive oil to the water after you put the noodles in. Drain the noodles well.

Brown the hamburger and drain. If you're adding the onions, garlic, mushrooms and/or olives don't cook the hamburger all the way brown just almost done - add the olive oil to the pan and add your optional ingrediants. Stir cooking until everything is heated through.

Put noodles and hamburger mix in a bowl and add enough spaghetti sauce to coat everything.

We're a small family so I use 2 9x9 pans - freeze one, cook one. You could use a sheet cake pan too (9 x 13). I put 1/4th of the mixture in each pan, pushing it down slightly with the back of my spoon - sprinkle 1/4 C. of cheese over each pan and repeat (2 layers in 2 pans :-) ). Bake 350 degrees for 45 minutes. If frozen cover with aluminum foil (or any other kind of lid) and bake at 350 degrees for an hour and a half or until bubbling.

White

1 can cream of mushroom (I used cream of chicken verde soup and that was excellent too!)

1 lb cooked turkey, chicken or tuna (canned tuna, drained)
1 medium onion, chopped (optional)
2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped (optional)
8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced** (optional)
**or use drained canned mushrooms
1/4 C. frozen or pre-cooked carrots (optional)
1/4 C. frozen or pre-cooked broccoli flowerettes (optional)
1/2 dozen cherry tomatoes, quartered (optional)
2T olive oil
1 C. grated cheese (I used mozzarella but cheddar or even grated parmesan works)

1 lb rotini noodles
1 T. olive oil

Prepare the rotini noodles according to the package instructions - add 1 T. of olive oil to the water after you put the noodles in. Drain the noodles well.

Put the 2 T of olive oil in a skillet and add the meat if you're using chicken or turkey. (If you're using tuna add that last) Add the rest of the optional ingrediants Stir, cooking until everything is heated through. (If you're using tuna you don't want to break the meat up into paste so add it at the very end.)

Put noodles and meat mix in a bowl and add the can of soup - stirring to coat everything.

Follow the directions for assembly and the cooking times listed for the "red".

Served with a green salad it's very filling on a cold day and if your family is small like mine - you've got the cooking done for 2 meals!
between2worlds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-2008, 11:26 AM   #2
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
Savings: 0.00
I love the Chicken Chili Verde soup, as well as the Pepper Jack and the other SW Campbells soups.

They are great in recipes and just to eat!!