Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Recipes Baked Seafood Au Gratin Baked Seafood Au Gratin

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-17-2008, 01:49 AM   #1
pancake flipper

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Pvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond repute
Pvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 1.00
Baked Seafood Au Gratin

1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 cup butter, divided
1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
1 pound fresh crabmeat
4 cups water
1 pound fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 pound small scallops
1/2 pound flounder fillets
3 cups milk
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 pinch ground black pepper
1 dash hot pepper sauce
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

DIRECTIONS
In a heavy skillet, saute the onion and the pepper in 1/2 cup of butter. Cook until tender. Mix in 1/2 cup of the flour, and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in crabmeat, remove from heat, and set aside.
In a large Dutch oven, bring the water to a boil. Add the shrimp, scallops, and flounder, and simmer for 3 minutes. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid, and set the seafood aside.
In a heavy saucepan, melt the remaining 1/2 cup butter over low heat. Stir in remaining 1/2 cup flour. Cook and stir constantly for 1 minute. Gradually add the milk plus the 1 cup reserved cooking liquid. Raise heat to medium; cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thickened and bubbly. Mix in the shredded Cheddar cheese, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, and hot sauce. Stir in cooked seafood.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease one 9x13 inch baking dish. Press crabmeat mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Spoon the seafood mixture over the crabmeat crust, and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.
Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until lightly browned. Serve immediately.
Pvt Butter is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-17-2008, 05:52 PM   #2
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
Savings: 0.00
This sounds SO GOOD!! I'll need to substitute something else for the flounder.

I was having mahi mahi at an unnamed seafood chain once and they brought me two pieces. The first was heaven, the second was flounder and just ruined my dinner!! When you're expecting mahi mahi and get flounder, you never recover.

Kinda what happened to me over catfish too. I thought I was getting the fried halibut and it was catfish. Now I HATE catfish!!!
Old 01-17-2008, 06:02 PM   #3
pancake flipper

Pvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond repute
Pvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo_rose View Post
This sounds SO GOOD!! I'll need to substitute something else for the flounder.

I was having mahi mahi at an unnamed seafood chain once and they brought me two pieces. The first was heaven, the second was flounder and just ruined my dinner!! When you're expecting mahi mahi and get flounder, you never recover.

Kinda what happened to me over catfish too. I thought I was getting the fried halibut and it was catfish. Now I HATE catfish!!!
WOW! the nerve of some servers! fish is not fish although mahi mahi or tuna would work in this recipe. That's too bad you don't like flounder -which is one of my favs when it is very very fresh. I'm with you on catfish. they call it catfish b/c it should be catfood.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:36 PM   #4
Ready to dance

wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
I remember liking flounder when I was young. And I'm sure it was very fresh...eating it in Alaska and all. I'd try it if YOU cook it...and check it for freshness....

And probably with all the other great seafood and seasonings in the recipe, I won't even notice. Who knows...maybe I can like flounder again. And he was so good in the little mermaid.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:47 PM   #5
pancake flipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo_rose View Post
I remember liking flounder when I was young. And I'm sure it was very fresh...eating it in Alaska and all. I'd try it if YOU cook it...and check it for freshness....

And probably with all the other great seafood and seasonings in the recipe, I won't even notice. Who knows...maybe I can like flounder again. And he was so good in the little mermaid.
LOL that's right! the little yellow and blue guy!

well, you would definitely like the flounder I made. I would only cook it fresh too. If you can get past seeing it's face I make an awsome broiled flounder. Very simple; one flat fish boned/cleaned; fresh crushed garlic, sweet butter, white onions and salt. wrap the fish in foil with all the ingredients and broil. no capers, no dill. the fish will be tender and have an awsome flavor.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:38 PM   #6
Ready to dance

Cool!!! Sounds deeLISH! And I love looking at their faces! They're so interesting. I always have to tell my kids about how the one eye migrates to the other side and they start swimming like Aquaman instead of a regular fish. And of course they could care less.