PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Recipes (http://forums.powwows.com/f84/)
-   -   Cherry Blintzes (http://forums.powwows.com/f84/cherry-blintzes-38279/)

wyo_rose 04-03-2007 05:37 PM

Cherry Blintzes

I'm NEVER going back to IHOP. I ordered Blintzes and got 3 pancakes filled with UNsweet cottage cheese. VERY disappointed!!!

If you want to try your own which will be SO GOOD:

Cherry Cheese Blintzes

12 crepes
18 ounces creamed cottage cheese or ricotta (drained)
3 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons butter
cherry sauce

30 MINUTES BEFORE SERVING: In a small bowl with mixer at medium speed, beat cottage cheese, cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla extract till smooth. Spread about a tablespoon of mixture on each blintz to within 1/2 inch of edge; Fold 2 sides of each blintz slightly toward the center then roll in opposite direction, jelly-roll fashion. Prepare Cherry Sauce (recipe follows) in cook-and-serve skillet; add filled blintzes. Over low heat, simmer 10 minutes to heat through.

CHERRY SAUCE:
2/3 cup boiling water
1 pound sweet cherries, pitted
1/4 cup sugar
In 2-qt. saucepan over medium heat, in boiling water, heat cherries to boiling. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 5 minutes or till tender. During last minutes of cooking, add sugar. (Can also be served over waffles or pancakes).

Crepes:
Mix together:
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons melted butter
2 eggs

THEN ADD:
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
Grease the griddle or frying pan because these will stick easily. Fry thin pancakes using 1/2 cup of the blintz mixture for each , over medium heat. Beat mixture before each blintz and grease griddle each time.

wyo_rose 04-04-2007 10:40 AM

OK, after watching Alton Brown make crepes last night, I have to substitute his recipe. Mine have been getting all bubbly and I didn't know why. So here's some PROFESSIONAL crepes:

2 large eggs
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1 cup flour
3 tablespoons melted butter
Butter, for coating the pan

In a blender, combine all of the ingredients and pulse for 10 seconds. Place the crepe batter in the refrigerator for 1 hour. This allows the bubbles to subside so the crepes will be less likely to tear during cooking. The batter will keep for up to 48 hours.
Heat a small non-stick pan. Add butter to coat. Pour 1 ounce of batter into the center of the pan and swirl to spread evenly. Cook for 30 seconds and flip. Cook for another 10 seconds and remove to the cutting board. Lay them out flat so they can cool. Continue until all batter is gone. After they have cooled you can stack them and store in sealable plastic bags in the refrigerator for several days or in the freezer for up to two months. When using frozen crepes, thaw on a rack before gently peeling apart.

Pvt Butter 05-04-2007 01:02 AM

omgosh...ihop does a great plate presentation and even better tv commercials, but when you get the slop to your mouth - what a disappointment!

chirapachegurl 05-08-2007 04:33 PM

Girl you just made my mouth water with your recipe like Homer Simpson's at the sound of the word 'donut'