Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Recipes Cherry Soup Cherry Soup

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-20-2009, 10:45 PM   #1
Lion of Judah

Items Elephant$DevilSword
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
RDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond repute
RDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 35,780.15
Savings: 0.00
Cherry Soup

Good looking cherries are in the stores, and it is hot out. This is a good, refreshing dessert soup.

2 lbs cherries*
3 cloves
1 cinnamon stick
1 1/3 cups water
2 cups sweet rose wine
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Grated zest from 1 orange

Wash and pit all the cherries. Put aside a cup of the pitted cherries and a small handful of the pits. Crush the reserved pits with a hammer or meat tenderizer. They don't have to be crushed into little bitty pieces, well cracked will do. Tie the crushed pits the cloves and cinnamon stick in some cheesecloth. You don't have to use the cheesecloth, but if you don't then you have to strain the soup later.

In a pot on the stove combine the bag of pits and spices, the cherries (remember to save 1 cup), water, wine and sugar. Bring it to a boil, stirring frequently. Cover the pot, reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 25-30 minutes, until the cherries are very soft.

Put the cherries and 1 cup of the liquid in a food processor/blender. Puree.

Stir the pureed cherries back into the pot. Add the 1 cup of reserved cherries, orange juice, lemon juice and orange zest.

Simmer over low heat about 7-8 minutes until the cherries begin to soften and it just begins to boil.

Put in the refrigerator until thoroughly chilled. Serve cold with a spoonful of sour cream.

*About the cherries. Sour cherries are the best, but just about any cherries will do. They should be fresh or frozen. You can use unsweetened canned cherries, I have, but it doesn't come out nearly as well. Do NOT be tempted to use cherry pie filling!

Last edited by RDNKJ; 07-20-2009 at 10:50 PM..
RDNKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-20-2009, 10:52 PM   #2
were home

Items GuitarElephantPresentPresent
Credits: 30,091.23
Savings: 1.00
2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute
2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute
sounds like a winner ,
Old 07-21-2009, 11:09 AM   #3
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 69,211.02
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDNKJ View Post
Put aside a cup of the pitted cherries and a small handful of the pits. Crush the reserved pits with a hammer or meat tenderizer. They don't have to be crushed into little bitty pieces, well cracked will do.... In a pot on the stove combine the bag of pits....
Indeed the pits will give an almond flavor -- from the cyanide containing compounds extracted from the pits. While the use of apricot, cherry, and other fruit seed kernels is not unheard of in Middle Eastern, European, and Native cooking, caution must be employed to prevent a toxic dose, especially for children. Levels of the cyanogenic glycosides in the pits vary depending on species, growing conditions, and so on. Also amounts extracted will vary with surface area, heat, acidity, and so on. Old-time cooks drew on much experience to know when things were done right, experience often lost to modern cooks.

With cyanide discretion is the better part of valor. I would recommend omitting the pits and substituting a few drops of almond extract, added after removing the soup from the heat.

Yes, Apple Seeds and Cherry Pits are Poisonous
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-21-2009, 11:40 AM   #4
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
Wow, does cooking affect that?

How about with crushed chokecherry seeds? Does the drying process affect the toxicity? Do different types of cherries/chokecherries have varying amounts of the poison?

The is recipe looks great and I think I'll make it this weekend since I don't have any chokecherries for goetsaap...I mean wojapi.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:13 PM   #5
Lion of Judah

RDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond repute
RDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
...With cyanide discretion is the better part of valor. I would recommend omitting the pits and substituting a few drops of almond extract, added after removing the soup from the heat.
What's a little cyanide between friends?

Good point, OlChemist. I tend to be a "purist" when it comes to food, but I've also been making this for years (G-Grandma Wilhemina's recipe) so I tend to go by taste and sight.

If you do substitute almond extract, don't use much. This should only have a "hint" of almond flavor.

Also, for those who don't want to use alcohol, fruit juice can be substituted for the wine. I've used cranberry juice with good results. Apple juice can be used, too. The substitutions do change the nature of the soup, though.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:47 PM   #6
Lion of Judah

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo_rose View Post
The is recipe looks great and I think I'll make it this weekend since I don't have any chokecherries for goetsaap...I mean wojapi.
If you do try it, let me know what you think!
Old 07-21-2009, 01:22 PM   #7
Asmajol

YAY! Thanks For sharing =)

Cant wait to make this for my friends and family (now i just have to scrounge up money for ingredients )
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-21-2009, 02:54 PM   #8
Ready to dance

wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
I gotta sub something for the wine. Gonna hunt down a fruit juice - low in sugar and would pair good with the cherries.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:14 PM   #9
Tiny Tot Dancer

rez_hopper has a reputation beyond reputerez_hopper has a reputation beyond reputerez_hopper has a reputation beyond reputerez_hopper has a reputation beyond reputerez_hopper has a reputation beyond repute
rez_hopper has a reputation beyond reputerez_hopper has a reputation beyond reputerez_hopper has a reputation beyond reputerez_hopper has a reputation beyond reputerez_hopper has a reputation beyond reputerez_hopper has a reputation beyond reputerez_hopper has a reputation beyond reputerez_hopper has a reputation beyond reputerez_hopper has a reputation beyond reputerez_hopper has a reputation beyond reputerez_hopper has a reputation beyond reputerez_hopper has a reputation beyond reputerez_hopper has a reputation beyond reputerez_hopper has a reputation beyond reputerez_hopper has a reputation beyond reputerez_hopper has a reputation beyond reputerez_hopper has a reputation beyond reputerez_hopper has a reputation beyond reputerez_hopper has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 3,553.83
Just got back from the Sun Dance in OK. Had Strawberry Wojapi that somebody from up North brought to the camp. Really good.

rez_hopper is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-22-2009, 10:36 AM   #10
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Wow, does cooking affect that?

How about with crushed chokecherry seeds? Does the drying process affect the toxicity? Do different types of cherries/chokecherries have varying amounts of the poison?
Chokecherry seed kernels contain similar glycosides and produce hydrogen cyanide. Children have died from eating too many pits. The wood and foliage also contain toxic compounds.

Levels of the compounds vary seasonally. IIRC, levels are highest in the spring and summer. Hydration effects levels in the greenery, it might in the seeds too.

Some folks say cracking the seed pits, cooking and/or drying break down some of the toxic compounds. I could see the acid from the fruit liberating at least some of the cyanide which would outgas.

As a kid I remember my great aunt making patties of lightly crushed, dried chokecherries. These later got cooked. I don't recall how much, if at all the seeds got broken up. The info on the MI ag extension site about cooking with chokecherries discourages breaking the seeds.

It would be interesting to quantify the levels of cyanide remaining after traditional prep. I'm not sure what extraction method would be best. You'd need to compare to un-processed.... Anyone looking for a senior chem project?

Here are some links:

Using Minnesota's Wild Fruits

Prunus virginiana, chokecherry

http://www.gaspesielesiles.upa.qc.ca...e%20Cherry.pdf

Choke Cherry - Prunus virginiana
Old 02-16-2010, 07:45 PM   #11
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
I have been reading another book by my undergrad bio prof: American Household Botany:A History of Useful Plants 1620-1900 by Judith Sumner (Timber Press, 2004). The book covers the use of New World and Old World plants in Euro-American households.

There is a discussion of the genus Prunus of which peaches, cherries, almonds, chokecherries, plums, and apricots are members. The seeds contain amygdalin, a cyanide release glycoside. This compound gives the almond taste and flavor -- as well as poison -- to the seed kernels inside the endocarp.

"When digested, amygdalin releases highly toxic prussic acid (hydrogen cyanide), a compound also present in apple seeds. Poisoning occurs the cellular level when cyanide inhibits the activity of the enzyme cytochrome oxidase in the mitochondria... affected cells can no longer use oxygen, resulting in their death." -- p 114
Old 02-18-2010, 06:34 PM   #12
Ready to dance

Just great! And I like the crushed seeds in my chokecherry gravy. You can tell when you don't use any pits.

Is there a different between native and domesticated chokecherries? Does the crushing and drying really remove or reduce the poison?

Is there a better way to crush the pits? I know pounding used to be the thing. My mom used a food grinder. I use a blender.

One time we sieved out most of the seeds cuz the blender didn't do a great job, and it tasted way better.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:21 PM   #13
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
Quote:
Is there a different between native and domesticated chokecherries? Does the crushing and drying really remove or reduce the poison?
Honestly, I don't know.

This really would be a great project for a high school science student. I suspect some deal could be worked out with a college lend some guidance in appropriate analytical techniques. The standard colorimeteric methods would be swamped by the pigments from the berries, but there are ways to separate these things.... Sorry nerd musings.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:20 AM   #14
Married Wardancer!!

Items PresentPresent
eyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond repute
eyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,822.81
Savings: 1.00
Olchemist I'm staying away from the pits! lol

Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, laying in hospitals, dying of nothing....

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you!

Four things you can't recover:

The stone........after the throw. The word........after it's said.

The occasion...........after it's missed. The time.........after it's gone.
eyesrbrown4areason is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2010, 01:44 AM   #15
Ready to dance

I'm on a mission. If NDNs can figure out how to leach out the toxins from acorns and nixtamalize corn, I'm sure they figured out how to eat chokecherries with no adverse effects.

Maybe out university outreach office can help with testing.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:19 PM   #16
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
Sorry, I took so long to reply. I've been in Houston at a conference.

Let me know what you find out.

Meanwhile, I emailed at consultant I know works in bio-pharma. I'll see what she has to tell us.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:27 PM   #17
Lion of Judah

Per request, I'm bumping this thread up again.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:56 PM   #18
Ready to dance

Thanks for the bump! I found some fruit punch (low carb) to substitute for the wine...although a little wine might not be bad.

On a side note: I'm still convinced the native chokecherries don't have as much cyanide as the domestic kind.

*mind wandering* ...chokecherry wine....
Old 02-05-2013, 03:49 AM   #19
Pow Wow Visitor

Lisandro is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 193.86
Well i made this soup yesterday and that was so delicious.I made 4 servings which ended up filling three, 2 cup ramekins. I used frozen cherries, so cooked them a 10 minutes. We ate, this with some spicy food to help cool it off.I will be making this again.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #20
Lion of Judah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisandro View Post
Well i made this soup yesterday and that was so delicious.I made 4 servings which ended up filling three, 2 cup ramekins. I used frozen cherries, so cooked them a 10 minutes. We ate, this with some spicy food to help cool it off.I will be making this again.
I'm glad you liked it! It's a fav. hot weather recipe of mine!

Sponsored Links