PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Recipes (http://forums.powwows.com/f84/)
-   -   Chiles Rellenos (http://forums.powwows.com/f84/chiles-rellenos-59273/)

RDNKJ 12-15-2010 03:59 PM

Chiles Rellenos

Here is a recipe for Chile Rellenos from Los Barrios, an excellent Mexican restaurant in San Antonio.

Chiles Rellenos

Chiles rellenos means stuffed peppers. They can be stuffed with anything you like; some popular fillings are queso anejo (crumbly white Mexican cheese), chicken, and even cooked, diced vegetables. Some recipes add nuts and raisins to the meat filling.

1/4 cup olive oil
2 lbs. ground beef or chopped brisket
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 potato, peeled and diced
1 carrot, peeled and diced
8 roasted poblano chiles
5 eggs, separated. Yolks beaten.
Vegetable oil for frying
Flour for coating
Warm, mild tomato sauce

1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the beef, season with the salt, pepper, garlic powder and cumin. Cook, stirring to break up any lumps until browned, 6-8 minutes. Add the potato and carrot and cook, stirring occasionally, until fork-tender, 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat.

2. After peeling the poblanos, make a slit down the side of each chile, and remove the seeds. Stuff the chiles with the meat mixture, dividing it evenly.

3. In a large bowl, beat egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Beat in the egg yolks.

4. Pour 1 inch of vegetable oil in larg deep skillet and heat until very hot. Spread the flour on a sheet of waxed paper. When the oil is hot, one at a time, roll the stuffed chiles in the flour to coat, then dip in the egg mixture, and add to the pan. Cook one at a time until lightly browned on the bottom, 30-60 seconds. Turn and cook until browned on the second side. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain briefly on paper towels.

5. Place chiles on a serving platter, and top with sauce.

Like I said in the other thread, I prefer hotter peppers than poblanos, and the sauce depends on the type of pepper and filling used.

Yummmmm!

AmigoKumeyaay 12-15-2010 04:13 PM

Whip It Good!

1 Attachment(s)
The separated egg batter is tricky until you watch somebody else do it. A bit of flour and salt should be mixed into the egg yolks BEFORE whipping into the egg whites.

OLChemist 12-15-2010 04:22 PM

I assume by roasted you mean: blackened skins fully in flame, steam in bag, and peel.

Ahh, sweet memories of fall in NM. The smell of roasting chiles in every grocery store parking lot.... Someone pass the pinions, please.

RDNKJ 12-15-2010 05:11 PM

Yep. Either in a bag, or in a bowl covered with a towel.

NorthofAda 12-15-2010 05:32 PM

Mmmmm.... My favorite Mexican dish. Only tried to make them once and didn't roast the chiles long enough - had to peel some of the outer layer membrane off. Not fun. I might have to give this another try.