Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Recipes Does anyone know where I can get non-yellow corn? Does anyone know where I can get non-yellow corn?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2009, 03:09 AM   #1
Junior Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Bodica has a reputation beyond reputeBodica has a reputation beyond reputeBodica has a reputation beyond reputeBodica has a reputation beyond repute
Bodica has a reputation beyond reputeBodica has a reputation beyond reputeBodica has a reputation beyond reputeBodica has a reputation beyond reputeBodica has a reputation beyond reputeBodica has a reputation beyond reputeBodica has a reputation beyond reputeBodica has a reputation beyond reputeBodica has a reputation beyond reputeBodica has a reputation beyond reputeBodica has a reputation beyond reputeBodica has a reputation beyond reputeBodica has a reputation beyond reputeBodica has a reputation beyond reputeBodica has a reputation beyond reputeBodica has a reputation beyond reputeBodica has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Does anyone know where I can get non-yellow corn?

I recently watched an independent documentary called "King Corn" on PBS; and found out some pretty disturbing things about the U.S. corn industry.
Among other things, I found out that over 90% of all the corn grown and sold in the U.S. is yellow corn.
And almost all of that, is a single strain, which has been genetically modified, and mis-bred for years, in order to have a bigger and bigger outside, so that the inside of the kernal (which is the nurishing part) is very tiny. Also, they sacrificed the natural nutritional qualites of it, in favor of things like making it more yellow, and making it more sweet.
Apparently, modern corn in the U.S. has almost no nutritional value whatsoever.
And I'm not even talking about the pesticides they spray it with.
I found out that the good varieties of corn, are blue, red, bi-colored, and muilti-colored.
It's not very hard to get blue-corn tortilla chips, but finding a place that sells the actual blue corn itself, is next to impossible in the U.S.
Does anyone here know a place in the U.S. that sells non-yellow corn (prefferably blue)?

Last edited by Bodica; 02-17-2009 at 02:32 AM..
Bodica is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-08-2009, 03:24 PM   #2
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
Well I WAS going to say that white corn meal is widely available, especially in the South, but that is even less nutitious than yellow.

Bob's Red Mill makes some blue corn meal and you can get it online. I don't know if it's any more "nutritious", but very cool and traditional.

I saw King Corn and what they were growing there was field corn which isn't edible by humans. It's meant for consumption by cows and can be processsed into high fructose corn syrup, which is "fine in the moderatation".

I think field corn is the biggest share of the corn crop to supply feed for livestock and to provide sweetener for the biggest supplier of calories in the American diet - soda pop.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:39 PM   #3
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 70,345.46
My understanding is the culprit isn't the yellow corn per say but particular cultivars of hybrid corn. What you are looking for is called open-pollinated sweet corn (field corn is livestock feed; flint corn is meal or popcorn types).

Seeds:

Lots of heirloom seed places and survivalist stores carry open-pollinated corns. (The survivalists like the stuff because unlike hybrid corn you can actually get viable seeds from the crop.)

My mom used to grow open-pollinated corn when I was a kid. It had to be planted differently than hybrids. The growth wasn't uniform like what our neighbors got with their kitchen gardens full of hybrids. Some kinds she had to plant in clumps. We had way more problems with corn borers and such. (You learned to have a pretty high tolerance for cooked bugs with your veggies with my mom's pesticide-free garden. I still can't eat broccoli without flipping it over and checking for hidden caterpillars.) It could cross pollinate with other corn in the area and make bad seeds.

Corn meals and popping corn:

Most organic markets will carry at least blue corn meal and frequently blue or red popcorn. Arrowhead Mills, Bob's Red Mill, even Amazon.com has a range of cornmeals including blue, red and white.

Posole and dried corn:

Southwestern gourmet food companies carry these. I have a bag of blue corn dried posole I bought in a organic food story in Albq. I've never seen the blue corn equivalent of Cope's dried corn in blue or red varieties, but if someone has figured out how to market it to the Sante Fe tourist crowd, then you can buy it, LOL.

Fresh non-hybrid corn:

Your local organic or gourmet market may occasionally get non-hybrid corns. My local yuppie-mart used to get multi-color fresh corn from a farm in Colorado. It was about $1/ear. I served it to company once. One guy wouldn't eat it at all; he thought the non-yellow and non-white corn was poisonous. It seemed most people at the table didn't like it. It had tougher hulls, smaller kernels, and was starchy not sweet.

Last edited by OLChemist; 02-08-2009 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: Omitted posole.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-08-2009, 07:58 PM   #4
kitozudoto

injunboy has a reputation beyond repute
injunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,812.27
around the navajo rez theres alot of white corn. its not real abundant but generally availible year round. its used for regualr cooking and certain ceremonies. typically at the larger flea markets on weekends and most stores in Gallup.

my aunts family has an organic farm in NM. theres snow peas, carrots, and blue corn mostly they sell at farmers markets and do pretty good.

blue mush is great when prepared by a good navajo woman lol. its hard to explain but theres juniper involved and also a healthy fire.

*RoUg3 MoD sTaTuS*
injunboy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-08-2009, 08:43 PM   #5
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by injunboy View Post
...its hard to explain but theres juniper involved and also a healthy fire.
Which is why Native societies never had the pellagra epidemics that plagued the Europeans that who took Native corn but ignored Native cooking ways.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:17 AM   #6
Ready to dance

wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
I never heard of pellagra, but the wiki is interesting:

The traditional food preparation method of corn, nixtamalization, by native New World cultivators who had domesticated corn required treatment of the grain with lime, an alkali. It has now been shown that the lime treatment makes niacin nutritionally available and reduces the chance of developing pellagra. When corn cultivation was adopted worldwide, this preparation method was not accepted because the benefit was not understood. The original cultivators, often heavily dependent on corn, did not suffer from pellagra. Pellagra became common only when corn became a staple that was eaten without the traditional treatment.

Hmmmm...is this why I can take corn or leave it, but I LOVE hominy?!?
Old 02-14-2009, 01:33 PM   #7
Ready to dance

Corn Tortillas Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network

Here's a link to Alton Brown's masa making episode. You should try to watch the show though. Very cool!

And you can just use field corn.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:15 PM   #8
hello

Items Present
superndngyrl has a reputation beyond repute
superndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,091.95
For feasts we use this puffy red corn. I forget what its called but its so yummy.

My friend that is Mexican made some posole with lime and cabbage and it was the best stuff I ever tasted. She added some other seasonings too but I can't remember what they were.
Back home we just boil hominy and pork and eat it like that. I didn't realize that the lime was important for nutrition.... veryyyyyyyyyyyyyy interesting.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:06 PM   #9
Ready to dance

Oh, I lOVE posole. If you can get that recipe, we'll make a special page in the pws.com cookbook for it.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:46 AM   #10
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
Just a clarification, the lime used to process corn is not the citrus fruit but is calcium hydroxide Ca(OH)2. Wood ash is another source of base used in Native corn processing. The action of the base frees bound niacin and improves the balance of amino acids available. There is also some evidence that this processing significantly reduces levels of fungus produced toxins.

Hominy/posole are produced by soaking dried corn kernels in lye, in north American Native foodways derived from wood ash. The pectin and cellulose in the hull is dissolved and kernel swells. The basic solution is poured off and the swollen corn repeatedly rinsed until the base is gone.

Green Chile Stew w/ Hominy

1/2 lb mild New Mexico green chiles, roasted, peeled, seeded, de-veined, and chopped.

2 lbs pork butt, with excess fat removed.

2 large onions, finely chopped.

4-6 cloves of garlic, crushed

2 quarts of chicken stock.

3 14oz cans of hominy.

1/2 tsp each cumin, ground cloves and cayenne pepper.

chopped cilantro and lime wedges for garnish.

Cut the pork into 1 1/2" cubes. In a 5-6 quart crock pot mix stock, onion, garlic, spices, chiles, and pork. Add water to make about 5 quarts. Cook on low for 6-8 hours depending on your crockpot (make sure the soup gets to a boil). 1-2 hours before serving, skim the broth, drain and add the hominy and adjust spices to taste.

Garnish with limes and cilantro when serving.

The heat level in this dish can be a bit unpredictable since to depends on the green chiles. I taste my chiles and modify the quantity accordingly. Of course if you're serving real New Mexicans this is way too mild
Old 02-15-2009, 08:12 PM   #11
Ready to dance

Wow, cloves in green chili. Really?
Old 02-16-2009, 02:06 AM   #12
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
Yeap. It gives a bit of a different punch and some earthiness. One of my Indian (from India) colleagues suggested it. North Indian cuisine uses cloves with chiles a lot. Now if I could just figure out how he cooked cloves until they were soft and sweet....

The 1/2 tsp may be a bit much if your cloves are fresh.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:20 PM   #13
Ready to dance

OK, I'll take your word for it and try this recipe.

Have you ever tried frozen hominy? That's the only kind my friend from N. Dakota uses for her posole. Has a little more body than canned.

I'm going to get brave and try to nixatamal my own corn someday soon.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:21 AM   #14
Junior Dancer

Bodica has a reputation beyond reputeBodica has a reputation beyond reputeBodica has a reputation beyond reputeBodica has a reputation beyond repute
Bodica has a reputation beyond reputeBodica has a reputation beyond reputeBodica has a reputation beyond reputeBodica has a reputation beyond reputeBodica has a reputation beyond reputeBodica has a reputation beyond reputeBodica has a reputation beyond reputeBodica has a reputation beyond reputeBodica has a reputation beyond reputeBodica has a reputation beyond reputeBodica has a reputation beyond reputeBodica has a reputation beyond reputeBodica has a reputation beyond reputeBodica has a reputation beyond reputeBodica has a reputation beyond reputeBodica has a reputation beyond reputeBodica has a reputation beyond repute
Smile

Thaks for all your help guys (esspecially the recipes, & where to buy blue cornmeal).
But I've looked at all my local farmer's market's, as well as my local Whole Foods, and none of them carry fresh blue, red, or multi-colored corn (at least not that's edible).
I really want some fresh blue, red, or multi-colored corn.
I'm thinkng about just giving up on finding some place that sells it, and growing my own, in my backyard.
The only problem is, I can't find the seeds anywhere, either.
Does anyone know anyplace where I can get some non-yellow/non-white corn seeds (prefferanly blue).
There's a fairly large local Pow-wow coming up nearby, next weekend.
Do you think I might have some luck there?
Old 02-17-2009, 02:43 AM   #15
Junior Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo_rose View Post
OK, I'll take your word for it and try this recipe.

Have you ever tried frozen hominy? That's the only kind my friend from N. Dakota uses for her posole. Has a little more body than canned.

I'm going to get brave and try to nixatamal my own corn someday soon.
No, I've never seen frozen hominy.
Man you guys are mking me hungry.
(stomach growls)
Old 02-17-2009, 10:41 AM   #16
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodica View Post
Does anyone know anyplace where I can get some non-yellow/non-white corn seeds (prefferanly blue).
Don't be an anti yellow/white bigot, LOL. Heirloom yellow and white corns are the varieties cultivated prior to the development of high yield hybrids. In some cases they are the ancestors of modern hybrids, in others they are species that do not suit the needs of commercial agriculture.

You're not going to find an single strain of corn that is not the product of at least low-tech gene manipulation. Native people carefully selected and cross-breed corn varieties to produce cultivars every bit as tailored to their needs as those produced to support large-scale farming. Our ancestors breed literally thousands of strains designed to give the best yields and to resist the most pests and diseases in various climates. Corn is a product of both the Creator and man.

That said... I have no personal experience with this business, but they seem to sell many varieties of corn.

Heirloom Corn Seeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo_rose View Post
Have you ever tried frozen hominy?
Yeap, I can't get it here but we had it in the markets in NM. It took a bit more cooking than the canned, but no where near as much as the dried.

Last edited by OLChemist; 02-17-2009 at 10:58 AM..
Old 02-19-2009, 12:15 PM   #17
Head Dancer

caity has a reputation beyond reputecaity has a reputation beyond reputecaity has a reputation beyond repute
caity has a reputation beyond reputecaity has a reputation beyond reputecaity has a reputation beyond reputecaity has a reputation beyond reputecaity has a reputation beyond reputecaity has a reputation beyond reputecaity has a reputation beyond reputecaity has a reputation beyond reputecaity has a reputation beyond reputecaity has a reputation beyond reputecaity has a reputation beyond reputecaity has a reputation beyond reputecaity has a reputation beyond reputecaity has a reputation beyond reputecaity has a reputation beyond reputecaity has a reputation beyond reputecaity has a reputation beyond reputecaity has a reputation beyond reputecaity has a reputation beyond repute
Savings: 1.00
If you're interested in growing your own, you might try J. L. Hudson - they have red, black, green, blue, purple, and striped varieties in their current catalog. I've never grown corn, but I have had great luck with their other seeds, and their prices are fairly reasonable.

caity is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2009, 08:32 PM   #18
Ready to dance

Just don't get cross-pollinated.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:44 PM   #19
kitozudoto

injunboy has a reputation beyond repute
injunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,812.27
i didnt know what was required to make hominy right. i was always unsure how they puffed em up.

we make posole like super, just posole and meat.

add a crispy navajo fry bread and crisp green chili annd some salt.. holyy good stuff

*RoUg3 MoD sTaTuS*
injunboy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links