Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Recipes Food Preppers Food Preppers

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
Savings: 0.00
Food Preppers

I've always tried to save stuff for a rainy day...bordering on being a pack rat! After seeing the "Hoarders" show on TV, I'm trying to cut back.

But now that Doomsday Preppers is on TV, I'm seeing validation for storing food. I try to keep my cupboard full, growing up in the sticks for most of my life. But after going thru a 3 day electrical outage about 30 years ago, it became very clear that if the trucks can't keep shipping food to the boonies here in the middle of Nowhere, Wyoming...then things are not going to be very good.

Indians have historically been great at food storage. It was amazing, albeit awful, to read about when the Army busted a family camp back in the day in the middle of winter, the family fled, but had to leave behind HUNDREDS of pounds of dried meat, along with other dried foods, which the Army promptly burned.

Drying was the main method used back then, along with smoking, freezing when available, and there's maybe some others that I don't know about.

Things are pretty tight lately tho...seems like it's hard to keep food on my whole family's table. But I'm making a commitment to start preparing for any emergency. The thought of my grandkids going hungry is some prime motivation.

After watching the show on TV, which is pretty extreme, reading the booklet sent out by our state governor about having 3 days of supplies on hand, hearing about the Mormons having 72 hour kits...I think that's where to start. Then work up to having a 2 week "Bug Out" kit, and eventually have some long term food storage.

There's a great website: www.preparednesspro.com that list that being prepared is actually split between 10 areas: Food, Fuel, Water, Financial, Medical, Clothing and Shelter, Communication, Mental, Physical, and Spiritual.

So food is just a part of it, but very important...right after water. And it's a PROCESS, not something that could be done in one fell swoop.

BTW: Session 1 Game 2 Number 7

B 5 Under the "B" Five
Old 03-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #2
Ready to dance

wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
3 DAYS of supplies: Home and Portable

AT HOME: Keep a minimum of 3 days of food, water, medicine, and hygiene products at home. Most of us might have this already, but don't forget the water...about 1 gallon per day per person.

And think about how you will cook and keep food good without any utilities working. Luckily during our 3 day electrical outage, it didn't affect the gas service, so we were still able to cook...starting with everything in the fridge and moving on the freezer. We put the milk for the kids outside in a cooler, as it was in the winter and we tried to keep it from freezing...not that freezing would hurt it.

But we froze, only have heat from the gas oven, and instead of building a bed in the kitchen, we toughed it out in the bedroom. Luckily I was the only one that got sick...getting a killer earache from sleeping with my ear facing the cold.

PORTABLE: Having 3 days of supplies at home isn't hard, but having to leave at a moments notice requires a little more preparation. I'm starting with KIDS 3DAY packs, moving up to MOMMY 3DAY packs, DADDY PACKS, and one for myself.

My number one priority are my grandkids, so here's what's going in their KIDS 3DAY packs:
3 1-Gallon ziplock bags with one days worth of snacks each, 3 bottles of water, a small fleece blanket, a space blanket, a change of clothes, extra underwear and socks, gloves, stocking cap, mini flashlight, extra batteries, wet-wipes, single packs of tissue, hand sanitizer, pencil/notebook, multitool for the older ones, crayons/coloringbook for the younger set, and diapers for the youngest.

Here's what a 1 day Gallon bag of snacks looks like:
100% Juice Capri Sun, 1 shelf-stable box of milk (even chocolate!), PopTarts, tuna packed in mylar, beef jerky, cheese/crackers, pretzels/cheese, shelf-stable cheese stick, crunchy granola bar, chewy granola bar, applesauce packed in mylar, candy, single-serving KoolAid packets, cookies packed in a cup-type container, smaller zip-lock with packs of hot chocolate and cup-o-soup mix. I'm looking for single packs of dried fruit and maybe get some suggestions from the kids.

This all gets packed into a backpack, along with emergency contact info, and a few hidden dollars and coins, emergency raincoat, glow sticks, chapstick, sunscreen, and insect repellent. I'm thinking of a little larger backpack for the older kids in each family, with a small tent, prepaid cellphone and some other emergency supplies.

These get stored in the car, or by the front door, so they can be grabbed in a hurry.

Last edited by wyo_rose; 03-18-2012 at 04:33 PM..
wyo_rose is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
On The Rocks

Items ElephantTreasure ChestPresentPresent
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 99,476.66
Savings: 1.00
Here is a teaching guide for traditional dried foods. It was intended for a young audience, to pass this info on to them.

http://www.sdstate.edu/sdces/fcs/upload/ESS107.pdf

And for info on Wasna Bapa...check out Tanka Bar site:

http://www.tankabar.com/cgi-bin/nanf...&storyid=62133

Centuries ago, the dried bison meat would be packed into bison horns for carrying on the move. The horns could be stashed under rocks (to keep animals away) as emergency food away from main camp.
AmigoKumeyaay is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
I'm a bad influence on ME

Items GuitarPanda
trouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond repute
trouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond repute
Location: jaw-ja, you know, way down yonder in the land of cotton....
Credits: 26,775.11
excellent thread!!

"Daddy would have gotten us Uzis."

Subeeds Said:Want to borrow my .30/.30 or do you have your own weapon?

Pigheaded said: "How come noone ever wants to pull pork?"

Joe'sDad said:"Wait. I can do without sweet. Just make it black...like my heart!"
trouble is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
Ready to dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigoKumeyaay View Post
Here is a teaching guide for traditional dried foods. It was intended for a young audience, to pass this info on to them.

http://www.sdstate.edu/sdces/fcs/upload/ESS107.pdf

And for info on Wasna Bapa...check out Tanka Bar site:

http://www.tankabar.com/cgi-bin/nanf...&storyid=62133

Centuries ago, the dried bison meat would be packed into bison horns for carrying on the move. The horns could be stashed under rocks (to keep animals away) as emergency food away from main camp.
COOL!! I think I'll share that education link at school.

Session 1 Game 2 Number 10

B 10 Under the "B" TEN
Old 03-18-2012, 05:02 PM   #6
Ugh. As. If.

Grits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond repute
Grits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 8,369.56
don't sweat it guys, there's always gonna be a mcdonalds

anyone seen the movie book of eli? i think thats a good portrayal of what it could be like, well not the cannabalism part i hope, but like the scene with the cat in the beginning and him shooting the bird out of the sky. gosh i better learn to use a bow
Grits & Beans is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2012, 09:06 PM   #7
Ready to dance

Yep, that was a cool movie. There's some other good post-apocalypse like The Postman, and of course, the Mad Max series.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:23 PM   #8
Ready to dance

3 DAY MOMMY BAG: (in the planning stage)
These have a lot of the same snacks and water as the Kids bags, plus some dehydrated family size soup, stew, instant oatmeal, and other meals. A water pump/filter, water purifying tablets, and a collapsable water bottle for water needs. Tea bags, instant coffee packs, and more single packets of Koolaid/lemonade/whatever mix to flavor water.

A good 1st aid kit, large pack of wipes, shampoo and other hygiene items, and a well stocked, but lightweight medical pack...medicine for the kids as well as adults. Emergency crank-powered radio, 'forever' flashlight.
Bedroll wrapped around a small dome tent, with a ground cover, wool blanket, and fleece blanket for shelter needs, tied on the bottom of the backpack.
Knife, folding saw, thin rope, 6 large nails for tent stakes or whatever, tarp, ....to be continued...
Old 03-19-2012, 01:10 AM   #9
Back where I belong

Items Present
NorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond repute
NorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,899.39
Great thread!

We started "prepping" last fall. Every time we go to the store for regular groceries, we buy some more stuff to add to our emergency stash. I started with what is on this list:

http://www.y2kkitchen.com/html/14_day_plan.html

We've expanded beyond that, though. If you have lots of money, you can go to Food Insurance or Honeyville and buy some great 25-year shelf life foods, but we don't have that kind of $$$. We have just tried to compile a stash of nonperishables, granola bars, Gatorade powder, powdered milk, nuts, dried fruits, canned meats, LOTS of water. We have enough food right now to feed our family for at least 3 months. We have candles and lanterns, although a power outage would be troublesome here if it happened in winter as we don't have a fireplace. The next step for us is making plans to leave the country, if it ever came to that.
NorthofAda is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2012, 08:54 AM   #10
YOU KNOW YOU LOVE THIS...

Items Treasure ChestElephantElephantTreasure Chest
Migiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond repute
Migiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,828.87
Red face

hey ADA, how are you? long time, long time....

wow, i have nothing prepared! getting a lil anxiety reading this thread. holy crappo! i need to get going on this. hard to do when you are paycheck to payckeck. shoulda been planning befor i guess. hmmmmm. i am pretty sure that no one on this rez is preparing anything. might have to head out to @Eagle Plumes . lol. she is always got stuffs ready for anything!!

Last edited by Migiziwomen; 03-19-2012 at 09:02 AM..
Migiziwomen is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2012, 06:23 PM   #11
Back where I belong

Items Present
NorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond repute
NorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,899.39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migiziwomen View Post
hey ADA, how are you? long time, long time....

wow, i have nothing prepared! getting a lil anxiety reading this thread. holy crappo! i need to get going on this. hard to do when you are paycheck to payckeck. shoulda been planning befor i guess. hmmmmm. i am pretty sure that no one on this rez is preparing anything. might have to head out to @Eagle Plumes . lol. she is always got stuffs ready for anything!!
How are things, Migz! Long time - for sure! Busy with doing school full time and holding 2 jobs...but I do check in now and then. Hope everybody in your neck of the woods is keeping well.

Just start small. That's what I did. Just found regular stuff at the grocery store that is not perishable and bought a few bucks extra. I read one article where they said even just spending 5-10 bucks extra on a shopping trip just for your emergency stash is a good start - maybe a few extra cans of soup or some granola bars or juice boxes...that sort of thing. Believe me, you'll feel better once you start putting a little bit of extra food away. And if nothing catastrophic happens, you'll still eat it at some point, anyway.
NorthofAda is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2012, 01:20 PM   #12
Ready to dance

The main thing seems to be: STORE WHAT YOU USE, USE WHAT YOU STORE

I just look for non-perishables on sale. Most of them need to be replaced after 6 months. And I just buy a little extra at a time.

There's a case sale coming up. I might start on some longer term storage..hopefully working up to having a year's supply.

I haven't canned anything in FOREVER, but apparently it's a longer term storage than regular canned goods. And you can preserver BUTTER and BACON this way...my 2 staples, along with CHEESE - that can be dipped in wax and hung to be preserved for decades.

For LOOONG term storage, I'm looking at buying whole grain wheat and field corn at the CO-OP (feed store) and then packaging it in 5-6 gallon buckets with oxygen absorbers, using dry-ice to deplace the oxygen, and/or diotomatious earth to be insect-free.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:31 PM   #13

Items GuitarPanda
trouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond repute
trouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond repute
Prepping has been part of my lifestyle since birth...
These are really great tips from all, and yes, the best way to start out is small , like 5- 10 dollars a paycheck is great...I have a list for that, i'll see if I can locate it...also if you coupon..you can get tons of first aid supplies for FREE simply by couponing them, and then store them in one "go bag" and you always know where everything is and its portable and go with you everywhere if need be....if you're interested ...google "bug out bags"...and zombie forums are a great source of information too, believe it or not...lol!!

WYO- you are on the money with the 5 gallon buckets and to O2 absorbers!!....for those who also want to try this, you can get FREE buckets of this type at your local grocery store in the bakery department, they throw them out by the hundreds every week, and I have found that they will save them up for you, and you take them home and bleach them out, and they can be used for SOO many different uses....

for those who have the funds to spend or just for looking at some more good ideas...check out "emergency essential", ...and other food sources, they carry the freeze dried stuff....a little here and a little there builds your storage nicely...and the food is good and can be incorporated into your daily living...the oatmeal and the granola are the bomb!!!.just saying....

Joe'sDad said:"Wait. I can do without sweet. Just make it black...like my heart!"
Old 03-20-2012, 01:41 PM   #14

Items GuitarPanda
okay here's the list I was talking about...prices have changed since this was originally written, so compensate for that...and also remember, if you can get it on sale or better yet on sale with a coupon, you store faster and more economically than otherwise....

Also, if storage space is an issue....start saving up those 2 liter coke / soda bottles your family goes through....after emptying the drink, put some bleach and hot water in them, soak the labels off and then let them dry for a week....then you can store things like beans, flour, rice, etc and just drop your absorbers in there...these can be laid on their sides in your storage area and stacked up to save space...just in case you were wondering....lol...
the soda bottles also work well for storing water....after bleaching....fill with water...allow to sit overnight uncapped, I add a couple of drops of unscented bleach to mine...and I store them i extra space in the bottom of my freezer....makes the freezer work better to have less empty space, and they can be pulled in and out without problems if space is needed in the freezer.....then put back in later on....I redo mine every spring when it's gardening time, and pour the water over the gardens and start a fresh...
OH, also, with what Wyo-Rose was saying about buggies....if you will put your flour and cornmeal bags in the freezer as soon as you buy them, ...leave them there a week, then set them on the counter a week, then back into the freezer for another week...then again another week to thaw..this helps out with critters or eggs that naturally lay in wait in those products from manufacturing........
ennyway...here's that start up list I was talking about....

WEEK ONE
5 lbs sugar $2.00
3 lbs. Crisco $3.00
5 lbs. flour $2.00
5 lbs. rice $2.00
6 cans tuna $2.00
5 lbs. beans $3.00
3 cans spaghetti sauce $3.00
5 lbs spaghetti $3.00

WEEK TWO
1 box oatmeal $3.00
5 lbs lentils $2.00
3 boxes saltines $3.00
1 case ramen noodles $2.50
1 can baking powder $1.50
1 can coffee $4.00
5 cans condensed milk $4.00

WEEK THREE
10 lbs. complete pancake mix $5.00
1 gallon pancake syrup $5.00
12 cans cream of chicken or mushroom soup $6.00
2 canned hams $4.00

WEEK FOUR
beef bullion cubes $4.00
Chicken bullion cubes $4.00
Granulated garlic $4.00
Black pepper $4.00
8# brown sugar $4.00

WEEK FIVE
1 #10 can instant potatoes $3.00
6 boxes Little Debbie snacks $6.00
20 lbs chicken @ .49 lb. to home can
2 boxes salt $1.20

WEEK SIX
10# 15% fat (or less) hamburger to can $20.00

WEEK SEVEN
20 cans Progresso or other ‘no water added’ soup $19.80

WEEK EIGHT
two cans coffee $8.00
1 container poultry gravy mix $4.00
1 container brown gravy mix $4.00
2 canned hams $4.00

WEEK NINE
1 box powdered milk $16.00
1 box tea bags $4.00

WEEK TEN
10 boxes breakfast cereal $20.00

WEEK ELEVEN
25 lbs. Sugar $9.00
25 lbs. Flour $5.00
25 lbs. Beans $6.00

WEEK TWELVE
36 pack dbl. rolls toilet paper $10.00
10 lbs. Chicken quarters for canning $9.90

WEEK THIRTEEN
12 cans spinach $6.00
12 cans peas $6.00
12 cans green beans $6.00
2 cans spaghetti sauce $2.00

WEEK FOURTEEN
1 grow light
assorted seeds

WEEK FIFTEEN
12 cans mixed vegetables $9.00
1 #10 can instant potatoes $3.00
4 canned hams $8.00

WEEK SIXTEEN
1 carton dehydrated hash browns $5.00
12 cans diced tomatoes $6.00
12 cans whole kernel corn $6.00
6 rolls 25 sf. aluminum foil $3.00

WEEK SEVENTEEN
1 #10 can sliced peaches $3.00
1 #10 can sliced apples $3.00
1 #10 can fruit cocktail $3.00
1 #10 can applesauce $3.00
12 cans mushrooms pieces $6.00
2 cans pink salmon $2.00

WEEK EIGHTEEN
16 rolls paper towels $11.00
9 boxes tissue $9.00

WEEK NINETEEN
25 lbs. sugar $9.00
25 lbs. beans $6.00
Large box of Bisquick $5.00

WEEK TWENTY
1 #10 can of cocoa powder $5.00
10 cans refried beans $8.00
10 cans of tuna $5.00
2 - 100 ct packs of paper plates $2.00

WEEK TWENTY-ONE
36 pack dbl. rolls toilet paper $11.00
6 cans spaghetti sauce $6.00
6 lbs of spaghetti $3.00

WEEK TWENTY-TWO
assorted sauces & condiments, 1 of each;
hot sauce
soy sauce
worcestershire sauce
teriyaki sauce
liquid smoke
gravy master
ketchup
mustard
mayo

WEEK TWENTY-THREE
assorted condiments, continued;
pickle relish
olives
pickles
salad dressings

WEEK TWENTY-FOUR
4 cans pink salmon $4.00
3 lbs Crisco shortening $3.00
5 lbs rice $2.00
12 boxes of asst cake mix $9.60

WEEK TWENTY-FIVE
2 lb pk pecan halves $6.00
2 lb pk walnut halves $6.00
12 cans pork & beans $6.00

WEEK TWENTY-SIX
10 lb bag of chocolate chips $9.00
2 cases ramen noodles $5.00
30 packs of kool-aid $3.00
6 lbs of pasta $3.00

Old 03-20-2012, 05:42 PM   #15
Standing Rock

Items PresentDevilElephant
Credits: 91,197.05
xTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond repute
xTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond repute
Dang, you guys are so into the prepper movement, eh?

I think Preppers (also known as survivalists) are a bonanza for retailers who advertise canned food with a 25-year-self-life claim.

I, for one, am not ready to venture into the "end-of-the-world" section at my supermarket anytime soon because I use whatever I get the same day or the day after and not store anything beyond a week. When I butcher, I use the lamb meat while still fresh and never freeze any of it.

If you are going to store anything, it probably should be underground at an undisclosed location far from your home that you would get to only in time of great need.
xTekno is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2012, 05:17 PM   #16
YOU KNOW YOU LOVE THIS...

Items Treasure ChestElephantElephantTreasure Chest
Migiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond repute
Migiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,828.87
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofAda View Post
How are things, Migz! Long time - for sure! Busy with doing school full time and holding 2 jobs...but I do check in now and then. Hope everybody in your neck of the woods is keeping well.

Just start small. That's what I did. Just found regular stuff at the grocery store that is not perishable and bought a few bucks extra. I read one article where they said even just spending 5-10 bucks extra on a shopping trip just for your emergency stash is a good start - maybe a few extra cans of soup or some granola bars or juice boxes...that sort of thing. Believe me, you'll feel better once you start putting a little bit of extra food away. And if nothing catastrophic happens, you'll still eat it at some point, anyway.
things are going, lol. but the kids are great. getting ready to go back to school, so that is exciting. gonna stay out of criminal justice and stay in family violence. so how is school going, are you about done? gosh it is good to see you posten! make sure if you dip out again that you stop and inbox me keep me updated, i am nosey. lol. but for real good to hear you are so focused!

you know i am gonna start putting some stuffs away. some of what i am gonna start stashing is my milk. yes i said milk. lol. we get this awesome milk from commods that can be unrefrigerated for three months due to packaging, so i will just keep some of novembers and all of decembers stashed. goodness, this is really stressing me out. lol
Old 03-23-2012, 08:20 AM   #17

Items GuitarPanda
Here's a neat idea if you are a hunter/camper/hiker.....

Make your own MRE's....

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-MREsa-tutorial/

Old 03-23-2012, 11:13 AM   #18
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 42,587.55
I think what is missing for your lists are water purifaction tablets or another mechanism to purify water. Those are much easier to store or carry over gallons of bulky and heavy water. Just be wary of reverse osmosis systems as they can lead to your body getting into trouble with losing salts and minerals.

Make sure you are using food grade containers to store your food in.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. — Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.
yaahl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-23-2012, 12:53 PM   #19
Tiny Tot Dancer

JSadler has a reputation beyond reputeJSadler has a reputation beyond reputeJSadler has a reputation beyond reputeJSadler has a reputation beyond reputeJSadler has a reputation beyond reputeJSadler has a reputation beyond reputeJSadler has a reputation beyond reputeJSadler has a reputation beyond reputeJSadler has a reputation beyond reputeJSadler has a reputation beyond reputeJSadler has a reputation beyond reputeJSadler has a reputation beyond reputeJSadler has a reputation beyond reputeJSadler has a reputation beyond reputeJSadler has a reputation beyond reputeJSadler has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 894.46
Wow...after reading this thread, I guess I have a project to work on this weekend. Great ideas!
JSadler is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-23-2012, 04:34 PM   #20
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 42,587.55
And let's not forget our pets and animals.... make sure you have supplies for them too!

Trouble I had a look at the link for making your own MREs, I have to agree with some of the comments that what they are using are products that require a great deal of water to re-hydrate the food and they contain massive amounts of sodium. Most of the combat foods that we use are carefully balanced nutritionally and are careful on the amount of water needed to eat them while at the same time having enough water content to keep us hydrated. I'd be careful of loading up on too many of the suggestions the site gave.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. — Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.
yaahl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links