PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Recipes (http://forums.powwows.com/f84/)
-   -   Fry Bread Fun (http://forums.powwows.com/f84/fry-bread-fun-45982/)

Toreuh Vuewae 07-13-2008 11:16 AM

Fry Bread Fun

It would be very interesting to see the many different ways fry bread is made. Each tribe has their own little touch to make it uniquely theirs.:circle:

RiouxbySioux 07-14-2008 12:38 PM

Let's Get this frybread party started!!

3 cups water
1 tablespoons salt
3 tablespoons sugar
1 package yeast
cup oil

Flour

Combine water, salt, sugar, yeast, and oil. Stir in the
flour until the dough is moist, but does not stick to the
hands. Knead on a floured surface adding flour
as needed. Remember dough made with yeast is a living
thing, knead until it feels satiny. Let it rest 20 minutes
in a covered bowl. Pinch off a piece and gently stretch
until flat and thin in the center. Treat it with respect.
Fry in about inch of hot oil until golden brown, turn
over. The bread will tell you when it is ready—it will
float in the oil. Eat it!!

wyo_rose 07-16-2008 10:38 AM

Show of hands: Who uses just self rising flour and water???

(My friend does who is Shoshone and Choctaw.)

2lineCarrandMorgan 07-16-2008 10:55 AM

:thumbs_upi did last week and chipped a tooth
really,it was a front tooth too,

i think i cooked it a little to long and it was the day befor doe, wont do that again lol:eyebrow2:

it depend on what in the cabent, most time i make it with
rising flour.yeast a bit of suger
water

let it set for a hr then
fry it all up.

wyo_rose 07-16-2008 12:00 PM

OMG!!! :hysterica

2lineCarrandMorgan 07-16-2008 12:22 PM

lol its only funny if it did not happen to you lol any way i just worked on my smile some and my daughter sweet one told me we got the same looking smile now, workes for me..................... ok moving along......................................... lol cant sweat the small stuff.

wyo_rose 07-16-2008 12:51 PM

Sorry! I shouldn't laugh. I'll be chipping my tooth on something else that I cooked. :lol:

RiouxbySioux 07-16-2008 01:00 PM

I Wuv it!!

http://usera.imagecave.com/serena120...uvfrybread.jpg

2lineCarrandMorgan 07-16-2008 01:05 PM

i did not mean it like that,nope your not gone go and do somthing dumb like try to cook day old fry bread doe lol whell thats if the creek dont rise and your not in short supply ,but if you ever find the need to cook as i did, a light golden brown will do just fine... add ing i got pretty porciln crowns on a few of my teff..thay used some new fangled product
on my mouth well i think my teffs are insured... now if i can only rember who the orodonist was and if i finnish paying her,,

we making blueberry muffins right now,in a sun beam cooker we put flour brown suger milk frozen blue berries and a little oil.then add butter to the sunbeam...not fry bread but still good.

2lineCarrandMorgan 07-16-2008 01:08 PM

lol yep fry bread fun

wyo_rose 07-16-2008 01:13 PM

:hysterica :hysterica :hysterica

RiouxbySioux 07-16-2008 02:13 PM

ttly....

Have a beautiful day everyone, got to go eat my chicken pot pie!! Yummy!:tounge_sm

charliemom 07-16-2008 04:00 PM

OMGD!!! That was a good one. I lost my frybread pan in my divorce. He took it hostage I guess. Had that pan for about 17 years. Oh well....... out with the old and in with the new.

2lineCarrandMorgan 07-16-2008 04:04 PM

Thank you RS and

a fry bread pan? i have a cast iron or as i grew up saying rotiron frying pan,thay rust it your dont keep oil in it

molelake2006 07-16-2008 05:07 PM

2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
2 tsps. baking powder
1/2 cup dry milk
1 tbsp. sugar
1 cup of warm water

Mix dry ingredients ans gradually add water to make a soft dough. Pat out on floured surface of grab out of bowl and thin it out a little with a hole in the middle. I found out if you use a spoon and slowly scoop hot oil over the center of the fry bread while its frying that is helps it to raise faster. :wink:

FluteMaker 07-16-2008 06:26 PM

i make a pretty decent frybread,i love it when people i dont like ask for the recipe....... i tell them the secret is to use vinigar instead of water

NorthofAda 07-16-2008 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FluteMaker (Post 1174868)
i make a pretty decent frybread,i love it when people i dont like ask for the recipe....... i tell them the secret is to use vinigar instead of water

:lol:They probably never ask you for recipes again...

I went to make frybread a few months ago and thought that it was the bag of flour that my husband had put in the fridge. Turns out it was Bisquick, instead. That batch didn't turn out so hot. :shades_sm

I use:

1 tsp salt
2 cups flour
1 cup warm water
1 packet yeast
1 tsp. baking powder

I had some frybread 2 weeks ago on the Camp Verde Yavapai-Apache Rez in Arizona that was really good - nice and soft inside, but just lightly crisp on the outside. Really, really good!

wyo_rose 07-16-2008 07:29 PM

I'm on a whole wheat frybread kick now. It turns out SO GOOD! You can get a brown skin on it and it's still nice and soft on the inside. I like my frybread to have that well-done but not crispy flavor.

The recipe is posted here:http://www.powwows.com/gathering/rec...best-ever.html

OMG I'M STARVING! Fry bread sounds SO GOOD right now.

RiouxbySioux 07-20-2008 01:25 AM

Chun... did ya see the ad on this page??

i had to laugh, i don't think you can make fry bread in a bread maker!:whatchuta but...ya never know. Hope you all are having a great weekend.:thumbsup:

wyo_rose 07-21-2008 11:32 AM

New project! Fry bread from a bread machine. I think it can be done!