Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Recipes Fry Bread Fun Fry Bread Fun

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-27-2008, 09:39 AM   #21
Toreuh Vuewae

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Toreuh Vuewae is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 170.00
Savings: 0.00
I have tried using a bread machine. Do not use the recipe that they have for bread. When you use the regular recipe the fry bread will come out very crispy and crumbly and will not taste the same. However, if you use way less butter than the machine tells you to, it actually does not come out too bad!!
Toreuh Vuewae is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-02-2008, 09:46 PM   #22
redhawk

BobbieJean is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Hi
I have a fry bread recipe that is almost similiar to your's except for the yeast, leave that out and they will come out so delicious, and when you fry they have to be golden brown, then you should try to serve them with spiced ground beef or pork and shredded cabbage, tomatoes and shredded cheese yum yum....and you should all purpose flour

3cups all-purpose flour
1tbspn baking powder
1/2 tspn salt
1 1/2cups warm water
oil (for frying)

Put flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Mix well, add warm water and stir till forms to a ball. Put ball on floured board and lightly knead. (dont overwork) after kneading, place your dough into a bowl and put in fridge for about 1/2 to 1 hour.

now heat oil in deep frying pan or kettle, lightly flour board and pat and roll each baseball size balls of dough after they have been rolled, (1/4inch) take a knife and cut a small hole in middle before frying so that it fries flat. Before putting in oil, make sure oil is about 350degrees, fry til golden brown then turn and fry til golden brown, about 3mins on each side.

they are so delicious
have fun
Bobbie Falcon
BobbieJean is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2008, 05:17 PM   #23
Champion Dancer

charliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,232.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lineCarrandMorgan View Post
Thank you RS and

a fry bread pan? i have a cast iron or as i grew up saying rotiron frying pan,thay rust it your dont keep oil in it
Yep 2" deep cast iron with about 21 years of use. Best damn Pan I've ever owned. Jerk says he threw it out :(
charliemom is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2008, 06:15 PM   #24
Great Uncle Patrick

between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,691.96
Savings: 1.00
2 cups flour
1 cup water
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

Mix the flour, baking powder and salt together. Stir the water into the flour a little at a time with a fork - don't stir too long or the fry bread will come out tough. Let it rest for 15 minutes.

Oil your hands and a flat tray. Pinch off an egg-sized lump of dough and pat it out to about 1/4 inch thick. Heat a skillet on the stove for about 5 minutes, put in a couple of tablespoons of shortening (Gramma used lard or bacon grease - and that does make the best BUT high cholesterol is something to think about so I use Crisco shortening) and when it's been melted for a minute or two, slip the fry bread off the tray into the skillet.

Lightly brown on both sides and 'njoy!

Oh and I agree - cast iron is the VERY best for fry bread (and fried chicken too.... hmmm now I'm getting hungry :-P )
between2worlds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2008, 01:25 AM   #25
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
Skillet bread, enit??? If it's not floating in grease, I don't think you can call it frybread.

Good to see you back around, BTW.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:59 PM   #26
Great Uncle Patrick

between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,691.96
Savings: 1.00
*grin* Gramma even made fried yeast donuts in that cast iron skillet and never put in more than enough grease to slightly float 'em.

Thanks, it's good to be back wyo - even if it's only "for a minute". Work has been keeping me too durn busy here lately. The only time I've had for beading has been on the train - which I've found is considered quite the "spectator sport"!

I'm exactly halfway through a long weekend tonight (the company doesn't "give" us Lost Guy Day off, but with the mess the holiday makes of the transit schedule - it's worth taking a vacation day for) - the first time off I've had after 17 days (11 hours per day on average) straight. If I got overtime it'd be something but I get a max of 40 hours/week pay regardless :-P

After Monday - it's another push straight through until Vet's Day weekend and then blessedly things will slow down until after the New Year.

Thanks for keeping up on the recipe section. I know I've been kind of slacking. Last 6 weeks of the year, I'll be 'round though.
between2worlds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-12-2008, 12:33 AM   #27
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
I hope you'll have more "happy accidents" to share then!

Even when I don't use yeast in my dough, I put powdered milk in.