PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Recipes (http://forums.powwows.com/f84/)
-   -   Fry bread recipe...tips (http://forums.powwows.com/f84/fry-bread-recipe-tips-35135/)

lostsalt 09-19-2006 10:37 AM

Fry bread recipe...tips

Okay, I gotta ask.
Is anyone willing to share a kickin' frybread recipe or tips?

I know this is a highly gaurded secret to some...
I've been told important area to watch are : oil temp. time elapsed after making the dough, etc.

Thanks
Lostsalt

wyo_rose 09-19-2006 04:45 PM

Practice, practice, practice. I didn't get good at making frybread until I had to make it all the time.

Easiest recipe: Self rising flour and water

Never fail recipe tip: Use yeast AND baking powder both.

Water Tip: Warm water

Oil tip: Recycle your oil. Frybread actually cooks better in slightly scorched oil.

Cheating tip: Use frozen dough.

lostsalt 09-22-2006 11:38 AM

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyo_rose
Practice, practice, practice. I didn't get good at making frybread until I had to make it all the time.

Easiest recipe: Self rising flour and water

Never fail recipe tip: Use yeast AND baking powder both.

Water Tip: Warm water

Oil tip: Recycle your oil. Frybread actually cooks better in slightly scorched oil.

Cheating tip: Use frozen dough.

Thanks for respondin' Ms. Rose.
I'll try again this weekend.

Migiziwomen 09-22-2006 02:26 PM

practice followed by patience followed by practice.

do not handle the dough to much
wait for it to rise
the used oil is a really good tip\
but stay away from quik fix frybread, man my gramma would roll over in her grave and slap me in the back of my head if i tarnished her recipe with yeast.

wyo_rose 09-22-2006 03:38 PM

Mine used to always fail, probably due to handling it too much and not letting it sit. Then my Comanche friend told me about using yeast AND baking powder. And it works everytime, so that's what I share with people.

I can finally make it without, but I sure like that taste.

WocusWoman 09-22-2006 03:53 PM

Don't over handle. Don't over salt. Don't use baking SODA. Don't let bread dough get dry. Don't try to do funny stuff like replacing flour with whole wheat. Don't try and sell frybread made from an UNPROVEN recipe.
FRYBREAD HORROR STORY, BE WARNED!!!-An elder here thought it would be a good idea to whip up a batch for a craft sale and make a little extra money, even though she'd never made it before. She used pancake mix as her base; you should have seen the looks on my kid's faces when they took a bite.

lostsalt 09-22-2006 04:17 PM

Thanks

WocusWoman, Wyo_Rose and Migiziwomen, Thank You ladies for the tips. You coundn't ask for anymore respected posters than you guys. This is like a dream you guys in a discussion on the finer points of frybread cooking. Now that is cool.
I'll let ya know how it turns out. If the dog mysteriously dies I wont post @ all. teeheehee

Lostsalt

wyo_rose 10-06-2006 02:55 PM

What to do with leftover frybread dough????

PIZZA CRUST!!

charliemom 03-09-2007 02:15 PM

If the dog is a rez dog then it will make it. My husbands dog can tell when I am making a batch. she will sit on the front porch and wait for the test piece that we make to test the oils temp. I have a thermometer but have been doing this for so long that the dog 9 years old feels gyped if she doesn't get her frybread. She also gets the leftovers from the soup bowls. She would be doing good if they were both at the same time.

wyo_rose 03-14-2007 10:58 AM

On the flip side, you know your frybread is pretty bad when the dog won't touch it.

I've seem that a few times. :rolleyes:

Eagle Plumes 03-14-2007 11:07 AM

How long should it rest? and I cover mine with a towl and put a lite coat of of oil on top to prevent dring out is that ok? Oh and I made the quick recipe and it diddnt taste half bad , then I ran out of flower and grabbed a new one and diddnt notice it was all purpose, needless to say it tated like crud!

Disappearing Hawk 01-01-2009 10:24 PM

hah last year my aunt mixed m&ms into the frybrad dough. it was pretty good! we really did it for my little cousin, she insisted that we tried it cuz she likes chocolate chip pancakes:smile:

wyo_rose 01-02-2009 11:39 AM

OMG, what a great idea!! I was thinking of experimenting with some kind of chocolate, but M&M's must be the perfect choice...cuz they won't melt!!

Geez, what a perfect way to screw up my diet!!

As far as letting it sit, an hour is the minimum. 2-3 hours is better. Coating with oil doesn't seem right though. Probably make it too sticky.

I just flip mine over in the bowl so the top will be nice and floured, then put the whole bowl in a grocery sack...or a trash bag if it's my BIG frybread bowl.

Disappearing Hawk 01-09-2009 03:52 PM

after I posted the reply, I had a dream that I was at my cousins house eatin ndn tacos, and I've been craving them since! nobody has even heard of frybread here, the only ndnz here are my family, and my mom doesnt cook frybread nearly as good as my aunt in listuguj. long drive though...

wyo_rose 01-09-2009 04:38 PM

We planned on 150 NDN tacos at the basketball game last night, but there wasn't a big crowd. About 50 of them were given away FREE at the end of the game. You should have been there!!! :lol:

hawk41 01-09-2009 07:32 PM

this is a cherokee fry bread recipie

3 cups all-purpose flour

1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder

pinch of salt
1-1/3 cups warm water

vegetable oil for frying

honey

Combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the water and knead the dough until soft. Roll the dough out on a lightly floured board until 1/4" thick. Cut out 4" rounds. Heat 1"-2" of oil in a saucepan. Fry the bread until puffed. Turn bread when edges are brown. own on both sides. Serve with honey.

Disappearing Hawk 01-11-2009 01:10 AM

haha we need someone like you at our basketball games, we could teach the white moms how to make dem! I can see us now, handin out those little recipe papers they hav at the grocery stores

SuzzeQ4 01-11-2009 02:55 AM

sometimes as a treat I flaten out a round of dough, turn uo the edges, put maple syrup in the center, pinch edges together, then fry. same with homemade berry jam

Bodica 02-07-2009 12:51 AM

Although I've never made it before, I'm going to try.
I was thinking of adding a bit of corn meal to the batter.
What do you think?

wyo_rose 02-08-2009 11:19 PM

You're on your way to hush puppies! :lol: