Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Recipes FryBread in the Mixer FryBread in the Mixer

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-26-2007, 10:56 AM   #1
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
Savings: 0.00
FryBread in the Mixer

OK, last night I didn't want to get my hands dirty while I was sewing so I made my frybread dough in the mixer.

This should be super simple enough for anyone...you just need to have the KitchenAid mixer with a dough hook.

2 cups flour
2 cups very warm water
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
1/2 cup powdered milk (optional) or a splash of real milk
2-4 cups of more flour

If you have some non-stick spray, spray the mixer bowl, paddle attachment and dough hook. Not necessary, but sure helps out later.

Mix everything except the "more flour" with the paddle (mixer)attachment until very well blended. Add in a cup of flour, mix a little, then switch to the dough hook.

Add in another cup of flour and let it incorporate in. Turn off the mixer (!), and put your finger in the dough. If it sticks to your finger, add in 1/2 cup more flour. Turn back on and let the flour incorporate in. Repeat until the dough doesn't come off on your finger. Then let it knead on the dough hook for 5 - 10 minutes. It's amazing how it makes a really nice ball of dough.

Then turn it off. Take off the dough hook and cover the bowl with a grocery stack...any brand will do but those from WalMart are the best. Let it sit for at least an hour....two is better.

Pinch off pieces and roll into balls...anywhere from golf ball to baseball size...depending on your pan size...and fry in HOT (400 degree) oil.

Or use it for meat pies...or calzones...or pizza crust...or breakfast burritos....or tortillas...or empanadas...or skillet bread
Old 11-13-2007, 01:25 PM   #2
pancake flipper

Pvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond repute
Pvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo_rose View Post
OK, last night I didn't want to get my hands dirty while I was sewing so I made my frybread dough in the mixer.

This should be super simple enough for anyone...you just need to have the KitchenAid mixer with a dough hook.

2 cups flour
2 cups very warm water
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
1/2 cup powdered milk (optional) or a splash of real milk
2-4 cups of more flour

If you have some non-stick spray, spray the mixer bowl, paddle attachment and dough hook. Not necessary, but sure helps out later.

Mix everything except the "more flour" with the paddle (mixer)attachment until very well blended. Add in a cup of flour, mix a little, then switch to the dough hook.

Add in another cup of flour and let it incorporate in. Turn off the mixer (!), and put your finger in the dough. If it sticks to your finger, add in 1/2 cup more flour. Turn back on and let the flour incorporate in. Repeat until the dough doesn't come off on your finger. Then let it knead on the dough hook for 5 - 10 minutes. It's amazing how it makes a really nice ball of dough.

Then turn it off. Take off the dough hook and cover the bowl with a grocery stack...any brand will do but those from WalMart are the best. Let it sit for at least an hour....two is better.

Pinch off pieces and roll into balls...anywhere from golf ball to baseball size...depending on your pan size...and fry in HOT (400 degree) oil.

Or use it for meat pies...or calzones...or pizza crust...or breakfast burritos....or tortillas...or empanadas...or skillet bread
what a great idea! I've only been using my KitchenAid for cookie dough. It takes all the work out of creaming the butter and especially trying to fold in oats!
Pvt Butter is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-14-2007, 04:12 PM   #3
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
Savings: 0.00
I'm trying to get my money's worth out of my Kitchen Aid.

It is WONDERFUL for cookie dough though. I can make a batch of oatmeal cookie dough and eat most of it before it hits the oven.