Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Recipes Holiday favorites and recipes Holiday favorites and recipes

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-30-2003, 11:58 PM   #41
Teen Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
One Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant future
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Since my husband is allergic to eggs, I make my cornbread and dressing w/o them. This is my grandmother's dressing recipe:

1 skillet day-old cornbread, finely crumbled
1 packet of saltine crackers or 6-7 slices white bread(let bread
sit out for a couple of hours)
1 medium onion, chopped fine
1 small bunch celery, chopped fine or diced
pepper, sage to taste
3-4 cups chicken or turkey broth or stock
1/2 stick softened butter or margerine(optional)

Mix all ingredients. Put in casserole or roasting pan, cover, and bake at 325 for 1 hour. Or stuff turkey with it after turkey has baked until 1 hour shy of being done.

Here is a traditional Cherokee dish that is tasty and nutritional too.

1 can or 2 cups cooked black beans, rinsed and drained.
1 can or 2 cups corn, drained
1 small onion(1/2 cup), chopped fine
1 small zuchini or yellow squash, uncooked, chopped coarse
1 or 2 ripe paw-paws, peeled and chopped*
1 small red bell pepper, chopped
1 good bunch water cress, chopped

*can use mango, mandarin oranges, tangerines, or steamed plaintains instead.

Mix all ingredients. season with some Ms Dash if you like and drizzle with salad or basalmic vinegar and olive or light salad oil. Chill in fridge or serve straight up. In the old days, this was drizzled with well-strained bear grease, but this is hard to find nowdays. Goes well on tortillas or with BBQ or roasted meats. Not a main dish, but great as a garnish.

Considering how many of us have problems with obesity, diabetes, and heart disease, some of our traditional dishes might ought to be served more often. That and getting our big ooks(that's onze to you Lakota's) off the couch and outside to exercise more often. And put that extra piece of pie on the spirit plate instead of down your gullet(anything chocolate is exempt of course).
One Hot Mama is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2004, 04:12 PM   #42
Fear & Loathing in Wy.

<_-~*No_nutts*~-_> is an unknown quantity at this point
Ever since I was pregnant with my last baby I didn't like pork. Pork (chops) makes me just wanna throw up! It's all about the chicken now though! Turkey is aight too as long as it is white meat. Good stuff maynard!:Thumbs :ready2eat

Did you just see what god did to us man?

If Barbie is so popular why do have to buy her friends?
<_-~*No_nutts*~-_> is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-14-2004, 12:29 AM   #43
Teen Dancer

One Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant future
Here's a variation on a traditional Southeastern NDN meal.

Black Bean soup with roasted Squash(6 servings r 12 cups)
for the soup:
6 oz smoked bacon, diced
2 tbsp olive oil
1 med-large chile pepper, stemmed, seeded, and minced
3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 large red onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and diced
3 stalks celery, diced
2tbsp toasted and ground cumin seed
2 bay leaves, broken in half
1 cup dry Spanish sherry or red wine(non-alcoholic)
2 cups dry black bean, rinsed, soaked overnight in water to cover, and drained
1 smoked hamhock
3 qts chickenstock(homemade is best)
salt and coarse ground black pepper
to taste

for the squash:
2 lbs calabaza, acorn, or other winter squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into bite-size pieces
2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp coarse-ground black pepper

for the crema:
1 cup sour cream
1 1/2 tsp lime juice
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp toasted and ground coriander seeds

To prepare the beans, cook the bacon in the olive oil in a large soup pot over med heat until beginning to crisp. stir in the chile pepper and garlic. turn up heat to med-hi, add onion, bell pepper, and celery and stir to coat. Carmelize veggies, stirring occasionally, for about 10 min.
Add the cumin, bay leaves and sherry or red wine, bringing to simmer. simmer until liquid is reduced by half(4-5 min). add the beans, ham hock, and chicken stock and ring back to simmer. skim impurities off top(grease n stuff), reduce heat to med-lo and simmer until beans are tender but not mushy, about 1 - 1 1/2 hrs.

Heat oven to 350. COmbine squash, butter, sugar, salt, and pepper in a roasting pan or heavy skillet, tossing to coat. roast for 30-40 min utnil squash is tender. set aside in warm place.

For crema: whisk all the ingredients together in bowl. chill until ready to serve.

Remove bay leaves from beans, scoop 2 1/2 cups of beans and broth into blender and puree. pour back into pot and stir well-this gives soup some body, and simmer another 30 minutes, season soup with salt and pepper to taste. Fold in to squash and cook 5 more minutes.
Serve soup in bowls and dollop a spoonful of crema on top in each.

Tried this from recipe in newspaper, and its pretty good. each serving has 750 calories, 44 grams protein, 65 grams carbs, 16 grams fiber, 31 grams fat, 60 mg cholesterol, and 2137 mg sodium. You can leave out the salt and substitute lemon peel or mrs dash, and the crema sauce is not required if you want to cut back on the fat and cholesterol a bit. Instead of hamhock, try 4-5 cups smoked turkey or chicken breast to loose a bit more fat and cholesterol.

Last edited by One Hot Mama; 01-14-2004 at 08:13 PM..
One Hot Mama is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-02-2004, 02:36 PM   #44
Teen Dancer

ABENEWA KWE is a glorious beacon of light
so many good recipes! making me hungry! well it is hard for me to post a recipe ... because i don't follow any specific measurements .... when ever i figure it out i will post some recipes. but hey.. thanks to the ones that posted their's .. they all sound good! gonna try em too ;)
"When the forest weeps, the Anishinabe who listens will look back at the years. In each generation of Ojibway there will be a person who will hear the si-si-gwa-d, who will listen and remember and pass it on to the children."

"Night Flying Woman"

ABENEWA KWE is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-05-2004, 09:37 PM   #45
Champion Dancer

*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute
*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute
i dont like eggs so i'll pass on any egg recipes :p
Potato salad i like tho :) (like yoda) :Chatter
*-merk-* is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-06-2004, 01:28 AM   #46
Dineth Hearth Throth

BurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond repute
BurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 22.00
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by *-merk-*
ahhh! one of my sister-in-laws makes the BEST popcorn balls! omg! .. i'll see if i can get the recipe. :)

mmmmm they always sell em too at like the jawwn fairs during fair season *L*

any news on the popcorn ball recipes yet? is it shannon?? if so..should tell her to make some and sell it during the taco sales on campus *L* :rofl2:
BurBz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-07-2004, 08:41 PM   #47
Champion Dancer

*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute*-merk-* has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burberrilish
mmmmm they always sell em too at like the jawwn fairs during fair season *L*

any news on the popcorn ball recipes yet? is it shannon?? if so..should tell her to make some and sell it during the taco sales on campus *L* :rofl2:
LOL all old post .. nah its not shannon.. its the 3rd sis in law
i havent seen her since .. umm... january
Old 04-08-2004, 10:06 PM   #48
Dineth Hearth Throth

BurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond repute
BurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 22.00
Savings: 1.00
*L* noooo mel..there's no recipe from me i'll just take a recipe from the net and say its family recipe

*LMAO*

or maybe chewy can post her secret 2 sec. recipe :

HOW TO WRAP ACHII 101 :rofl2:
BurBz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2004, 10:29 AM   #49
Champion Dancer

lol char
cheater! :taunting: JK

achii 101 ... you dont need a recipe for achii .. jus gotta watch n learn .. :42:
Old 04-19-2004, 01:14 PM   #50
I believe.... do you?

Dazzle_me_now has a reputation beyond reputeDazzle_me_now has a reputation beyond reputeDazzle_me_now has a reputation beyond reputeDazzle_me_now has a reputation beyond reputeDazzle_me_now has a reputation beyond repute
Dazzle_me_now has a reputation beyond reputeDazzle_me_now has a reputation beyond reputeDazzle_me_now has a reputation beyond reputeDazzle_me_now has a reputation beyond reputeDazzle_me_now has a reputation beyond reputeDazzle_me_now has a reputation beyond reputeDazzle_me_now has a reputation beyond reputeDazzle_me_now has a reputation beyond reputeDazzle_me_now has a reputation beyond reputeDazzle_me_now has a reputation beyond reputeDazzle_me_now has a reputation beyond reputeDazzle_me_now has a reputation beyond reputeDazzle_me_now has a reputation beyond reputeDazzle_me_now has a reputation beyond reputeDazzle_me_now has a reputation beyond reputeDazzle_me_now has a reputation beyond reputeDazzle_me_now has a reputation beyond repute
[email protected] achii wrapper!!!

good thing they can't understand navajo!!
Dazzle_me_now is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2004, 01:30 PM   #51
PowWows.com Addicts

~*~Xammy~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~Xammy~*~ has a reputation beyond repute
~*~Xammy~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~Xammy~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~Xammy~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~Xammy~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~Xammy~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~Xammy~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~Xammy~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~Xammy~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~Xammy~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~Xammy~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~Xammy~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~Xammy~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~Xammy~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~Xammy~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~Xammy~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~Xammy~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~Xammy~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~Xammy~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~Xammy~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~Xammy~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~Xammy~*~ has a reputation beyond repute
*ROFL* no kidding.. i wanna learn to make some killer popcorn ballz! someone should show me!! *L* i'm always cravin! :p

"Good Better Best Never Let It Rest Until The Good Is Better And The Better Is Best" :D
~*~Xammy~*~ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2004, 01:45 PM   #52
I believe.... do you?

Dazzle_me_now has a reputation beyond reputeDazzle_me_now has a reputation beyond reputeDazzle_me_now has a reputation beyond reputeDazzle_me_now has a reputation beyond reputeDazzle_me_now has a reputation beyond repute
Dazzle_me_now has a reputation beyond reputeDazzle_me_now has a reputation beyond reputeDazzle_me_now has a reputation beyond reputeDazzle_me_now has a reputation beyond reputeDazzle_me_now has a reputation beyond reputeDazzle_me_now has a reputation beyond reputeDazzle_me_now has a reputation beyond reputeDazzle_me_now has a reputation beyond reputeDazzle_me_now has a reputation beyond reputeDazzle_me_now has a reputation beyond reputeDazzle_me_now has a reputation beyond reputeDazzle_me_now has a reputation beyond reputeDazzle_me_now has a reputation beyond reputeDazzle_me_now has a reputation beyond reputeDazzle_me_now has a reputation beyond reputeDazzle_me_now has a reputation beyond reputeDazzle_me_now has a reputation beyond repute
Sham.. sounds like fun!! Audrey can make some killer monkey bread!!
You and T8 will have to come over and try some in the AM! :D
Old 04-19-2004, 05:25 PM   #53
PowWows.com Addicts

~*~Xammy~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~Xammy~*~ has a reputation beyond repute
~*~Xammy~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~Xammy~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~Xammy~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~Xammy~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~Xammy~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~Xammy~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~Xammy~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~Xammy~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~Xammy~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~Xammy~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~Xammy~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~Xammy~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~Xammy~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~Xammy~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~Xammy~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~Xammy~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~Xammy~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~Xammy~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~Xammy~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~Xammy~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~Xammy~*~ has a reputation beyond repute
I want some!!! mmmmm.. *L*

"Good Better Best Never Let It Rest Until The Good Is Better And The Better Is Best" :D
~*~Xammy~*~ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-20-2004, 07:09 PM   #54
Champion Dancer

what is monkey bread? *L*
Old 04-20-2004, 07:12 PM   #55
I believe.... do you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~Xammy~*~
I want some!!! mmmmm.. *L*
Tell me what morning you'll be over..and it will be ready!! :D
Old 04-20-2004, 07:13 PM   #56
I believe.... do you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by *-merk-*
what is monkey bread? *L*
IF you had waited that morning... she was gonna make some for y'all!!

But no...just bails out to go easter egg hunting!!

jk fren :huddle:
Old 04-21-2004, 11:27 PM   #57
Champion Dancer

heeeyyy!!
Old 07-21-2004, 11:21 PM   #58
Junior Dancer

indio will become famous soon enough
Credits: 696.75
I sure could go for some tamales right now. There used to be this place right next to my last job that had the best tostadas in the 602. Shredded machaca, lettuce, mexican-style cheese, cucumbers, onions, guacumole, sour cream, radish slices, w/ some el huichol sauce....OMG. Then you wash it down with a mexican coke straight from the bottle. I guess being invaded by mexico isn't a bad thing. It sure beats taco hell or hell taco by a long shot. Why did hell taco get rid of their tostadas? NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....oh well. There is this place in downtown 602 that has the best burritos. I think its on roosevelt and by 7th street. It looks like an ordinary house, but when you walk in, the smell grabs your nostrils and then...I need to find the exact address. I'm getting hungry.
indio is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2004, 04:20 PM   #59
DON'T LOOK DOWN

Pony has a reputation beyond repute
Pony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDNKIDZ
MMM MMM MMM Its cookin time again... My youngest son is gong to be a chef... and he knows that I love anything pumpkin... so the other night he makes me some pumpkin soup....I had never had it before... It was the best tasting soup I have ever had.. here is the recipe..

onion
2 tbls butter
clove of garlic
can of chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste

mix the onion, butter, garlic, and chicken broth in a pan let simmer after boil for 15 min.

1 can solid pumpkin ( or real pumpkin)
one can of evaporated milk
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbls of brown sugar

mix pumpkin and other ingredients together in a bowl..

take bowl ingredients and mix with simmering liquid ingredients.

stir until smooth .. do not boil simmer only....
you want to serve the soup warm not hot..

wonderful smell and taste.. something different to do with
pumpkin
no kidding I tried this and it is really good!!!!!
Old 09-15-2004, 12:05 PM   #60
DON'T LOOK DOWN

Pony has a reputation beyond repute
Pony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond reputePony has a reputation beyond repute
Smile

I love gingerbread..and I love to decorate gingerbread men but I am looking for a recipee that is not so hard and crunchy..more like a cookie..a little softer I guess I am looking for the word CHEWEY does anyone have a recipee like this?