PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Recipes (http://forums.powwows.com/f84/)
-   -   Mexican Combo Plate (http://forums.powwows.com/f84/mexican-combo-plate-39477/)

wyo_rose 06-19-2007 12:09 PM

Mexican Combo Plate

I'm thinking about offering a Mexican Combo Plate at my stand at the powwow this weekend.

But I'm undecided what should be on it.

Please give me your suggestions.

between2worlds 06-19-2007 12:17 PM

And some cheese and some sour cream and some jalepnos... and I like dem black beans better than the refried kind. Definitely the soft tacos, dem hard ones hurt my teef. And how about a little seasoned burger meat - lemme make my own mess-on-a-taco !

Not that I'm picky or anything :lol:

Eagle Plumes 06-19-2007 12:42 PM

This was hard to vote only once lol I LOVE Mexican!!!! I love Mexian rice and refried beans with some shredded cheese on it mmmmmm goood. I cant spell enchilada but you get it lol When I ws a teen there was a food vender that went around the pow-wows they were a Mexican family and made the best food and was not expencive, The burritos were to die for! And I seem to get alot of free icecream for some reason maybe it was because I was a loyal customer lol.

Eagle Plumes 06-19-2007 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle Plumes (Post 938602)
This was hard to vote only once lol I LOVE Mexican!!!! I love Mexian rice and refried beans with some shredded cheese on it mmmmmm goood. I cant spell enchilada but you get it lol When I ws a teen there was a food vender that went around the pow-wows they were a Mexican family and made the best food and was not expencive, The burritos were to die for! And I seem to get alot of free icecream for some reason maybe it was because I was a loyal customer lol.

I forgot tamale! I loves them too! My step mom mekes them for us mmmmm sooo good.

wyo_rose 06-19-2007 01:14 PM

I thought about having a taco bar, but it would get messy quick! I'd have to have a full time person watching, cleaning, and refilling. I do have sour cream and jalapenos on the side.

It is hard to choose. There was a Mexican family around here that made Smothered Burritos to die for!! I might find the local tamale seller in the WalMart parking lot, cuz those are pretty good.

Maybe I'll have to have a couple different Mexican combos.

Eagle Plumes 06-19-2007 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyo_rose (Post 938613)
I thought about having a taco bar, but it would get messy quick! I'd have to have a full time person watching, cleaning, and refilling. I do have sour cream and jalapenos on the side.

It is hard to choose. There was a Mexican family around here that made Smothered Burritos to die for!! I might find the local tamale seller in the WalMart parking lot, cuz those are pretty good.

Maybe I'll have to have a couple different Mexican combos.

awe dang I forgot about the smothered burritos! I love the smohtered deep fried burritos with all tha fixins, ok Wyo your making me hungry! whens dinner and what can I bring?:regular_s

NorthofAda 06-19-2007 04:23 PM

I love chiles rellenos. They're probably my very favorite Mexican food. I've only made them once, and they took 2 hours and didn't turn out all that great. I don't know how easy they'd be to do on a large scale as a food vendor.

When we go out to eat, other than Wendy's or Mc'D's, we do almost exclusively Mexican. Typically we order the chiles rellenos, enchiladas, tacos or tostadas, in one combination or another. Enchiladas would be good because they're pretty easy to make, and you can offer different fillings if you want, cheese, chicken, ground beef, etc. Tamales would be great if you can get some in large enough quantity and good price - they reheat really easy with some steam. Tacos are a good choice, too. And you definitely can't forget the salsa and sour cream...

NorthofAda 06-19-2007 04:26 PM

...and wash it all down with a nice, cold, non-alcoholic, Margarita slushy - yee haw!

eap7 06-19-2007 04:31 PM

First off I LOVE Mexican food! This is a good idea and I hope it goes well. I'll go vote now! lol

between2worlds 06-19-2007 07:01 PM

Truthfully, I had a -really- difficult time trying to just pick a few things. Like everybody else I love mexican food... and I go completely nuts over tex-mex.

Thinking about balancing a plate on my knee whilst riding over a field to get back to the arena tho led me to pick the soft taco fix-it-myself choice. Enchilada sauce clashes wif my good duds, yanno?

andre 06-19-2007 08:21 PM

I love all Mexican food. I prefer burritos, and I definitely love refried beans!

Joe G 06-19-2007 08:53 PM

A Selena Quintinella look alike! :lol:

Lakota Wiyan 06-19-2007 10:07 PM

I would do a combo plate like at a chinese take out restaurant. Give them the options and let them pick 3 things, add the rice and beans and some tortilla chips. Different prices for the different choices, depending on what they are. Have two different lists...the lower priced items, and the higher priced items. Dang...now I'm hungry....

NorthofAda 06-20-2007 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe G (Post 938706)
A Selena Quintinella look alike! :lol:

Sorry, Joe - I don't think you look a bit like her, LOL!

:shades_sm :shades_sm :shades_sm :wink_smil

Joe G 06-20-2007 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthofAda (Post 938753)

That's for Dayuuuum sure! :lol: but we woulda made a good beauty and the beast combo!

Eagle Plumes 06-20-2007 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthofAda (Post 938753)

Girl you are too funny!

NorthofAda 06-22-2007 01:15 AM

:shades_sm And Joe G's a good sport - he can stand a little good-hearted ribbin'!

Joe's Dad 06-22-2007 02:08 AM

I didn't see Tostada on your list. Did I miss it?

Flat fried corn tortilla $0.15

Refried beans .06

Shredded lettuce .03

Diced tomatoes .05

Monterry Jack Cheese .13
Commod Chese can be
substituted to cut cost

Total $0.44

Sell them for 3 to 4 bucks. Nice profit!

7pointbull 06-22-2007 03:21 AM

It's all about the size of the taco........

wyo_rose 06-27-2007 12:56 PM

Well......my Mexican plate didn't go over well. Maybe it was the selections, maybe it was being set up right next to an authentic New Mexican cuisine vendor. (that's where we ate all weekend).

My combo plate was a choice of a softshell, burrito, or two hard shells. Then each plate came with 2 taquitos, Spanish rice, refried beans with nacho chips stuck in, and an enchilada.

I ended up selling taquitos the rest of the weekend for 3/$1.