Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Recipes My problem with fish My problem with fish

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-26-2007, 11:28 AM   #1
Drug of choice:bubblegum

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
kirlegirle has a reputation beyond reputekirlegirle has a reputation beyond reputekirlegirle has a reputation beyond reputekirlegirle has a reputation beyond reputekirlegirle has a reputation beyond reputekirlegirle has a reputation beyond reputekirlegirle has a reputation beyond reputekirlegirle has a reputation beyond reputekirlegirle has a reputation beyond reputekirlegirle has a reputation beyond reputekirlegirle has a reputation beyond reputekirlegirle has a reputation beyond reputekirlegirle has a reputation beyond reputekirlegirle has a reputation beyond reputekirlegirle has a reputation beyond reputekirlegirle has a reputation beyond reputekirlegirle has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 343.29
My problem with fish

Could someone please tell me how to make fish NOT taste nasty? Fried fish is no problem, but I try not to eat too much fried. I try to cook tilapia, mahi mahi, or whiting in the oven or on the stove. I add salt and pepper, but the fish doesn't have any taste. I want to be able to proudly share my favorite fish and cabbage. Help me, please somebody help me!
kirlegirle is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2007, 11:53 AM   #2
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

WocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,094.49
Savings: 1.00
Choose other types of to cook. The ones you named tend to be WET in texture. Try something more meaty/flaky like swordfish, shark, salmon. Also, when baking use something like Mrs. Dash, or your own favorite mixture of spices on top of it. I love using stuff like dried onion, garlic, bacon, etc.
WocusWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2007, 01:03 PM   #3
PowWows.com Addicts

Items Present
FluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond repute
FluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond repute
Location: somewhere between chicago and DC, what day is it again?
Credits: 7,626.25
i cant eat fish anymore..... when i was a kind we fished for food, not sport and i think i now have a ptsd aversion to fish.
i can even taste the fish on mcdonald french fries if theyve been done after the fillet'o fish patties

I know the voices arent real
but man, they have some great ideas
FluteMaker is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2007, 01:32 PM   #4
prancing deer

prancing deer is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 1,832.20
Savings: 11.53
The best way for some real good fish is fresh.... if it smells like fish in the store, you don't know how long they had it. If the fish was frozen soon after getting caught then it will stay fresh and you won't have that fishy smell or taste. Also, as WocusWoman replied, try the flakey fish, which is salt water fish, you shouldn't have any problems with that, just make sure, the fresher the better.
If you want to stay away from fried food, you could also try baking the fish covered in aluminum foil, with butter, salt, pepper,onion, and a lemon cut in four. You can either bake in the oven or cook on the grill. I've found it very delicious myself, and easy clean up.
prancing deer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2007, 02:26 PM   #5

kirlegirle has a reputation beyond reputekirlegirle has a reputation beyond reputekirlegirle has a reputation beyond reputekirlegirle has a reputation beyond reputekirlegirle has a reputation beyond reputekirlegirle has a reputation beyond reputekirlegirle has a reputation beyond reputekirlegirle has a reputation beyond reputekirlegirle has a reputation beyond reputekirlegirle has a reputation beyond reputekirlegirle has a reputation beyond reputekirlegirle has a reputation beyond reputekirlegirle has a reputation beyond reputekirlegirle has a reputation beyond reputekirlegirle has a reputation beyond reputekirlegirle has a reputation beyond reputekirlegirle has a reputation beyond repute
Umm, I do have some Mrs. Dash and I'll try a different fish. I've never looked for shark here in SC.
I'm going to try the foil too.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluteMaker View Post
i can even taste the fish on mcdonald french fries if theyve been done after the fillet'o fish patties
I don't like fishy fries either. You're right, you can taste it.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:40 PM   #7
prancing deer

prancing deer is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 1,832.20
Savings: 11.53
I forgot to mention, haddock is an excellent choice, cod and mackerel is good too, although, mackerel is a little oily, but, good.
prancing deer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-27-2007, 07:26 AM   #8
PowWows.com Addicts

Items Present
FluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond repute
FluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond repute
Location: somewhere between chicago and DC, what day is it again?
Credits: 7,626.25
Quote:
Originally Posted by prancing deer View Post
The best way for some real good fish is fresh.... if it smells like fish in the store, you don't know how long they had it. If the fish was frozen soon after getting caught then it will stay fresh and you won't have that fishy smell or taste. Also, as WocusWoman replied, try the flakey fish, which is salt water fish, you shouldn't have any problems with that, just make sure, the fresher the better.
If you want to stay away from fried food, you could also try baking the fish covered in aluminum foil, with butter, salt, pepper,onion, and a lemon cut in four. You can either bake in the oven or cook on the grill. I've found it very delicious myself, and easy clean up.

i remember a radio commercial for a store called fresh fields that said you should not be able find the sea food counter blindfolded. supposedly fresh fish doesnt stink, its only after it starts to go bad that it gets that fishy smell.ive been told that one good clue to how fresh the fish is,if youre getting a whole fish, is to check the eyes. the more cloudy the eyes the older the fish is

you might try an international grocery store, the ones ive been to here in dc have most of thier fish live. i cant eat finfish but i love me some shellfish, crab,lobster,shrip and oysters......give 'em a dash of yucatan sunshine and yum.

I know the voices arent real
but man, they have some great ideas
FluteMaker is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2007, 03:03 PM   #9
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
Savings: 0.00
I'm surprised you don't like mahi mahi plain. I love it cooked in a little butter or olive oil. No salt or anything else needed.

Barely coat a non stick pan with the oil, fry fleshy side down without peeking until it gets done half way through the thickness. It will form a nice 'crust'. Then flip it over so the skin side is down and finish cooking. Deelish!

Tilapia doesn't have much taste, so you really need to season it up. A nice spicy crust works well on it.

Here's a link to a lot of great looking recipes:
http://ag.arizona.edu/azaqua/ista/recipes.htm

Did you know you can raise tilapias in tanks in your house? Talk about fresh!
wyo_rose is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-14-2007, 10:33 AM   #10

Perhaps I overseasoned the Mahi Mahi. I'll have to try it plain.

I did try some of the other ideas and I could tell the difference just by smell. The fish smelled better while it was cooking. I tried different fish altogether. I'm so happy!
Sponsored Links