• 3 Post By milehighsalute
  • 2 Post By eagleclanriverband
  • 2 Post By OLChemist
  • 2 Post By wardancer
  • 2 Post By OLChemist
  • 3 Post By milehighsalute
  • 2 Post By OLChemist
  • 2 Post By OLChemist

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Recipes Pastelitos -- Pueblo Feast Day Pies Pastelitos -- Pueblo Feast Day Pies

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2016, 07:42 PM   #1
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 45,773.34
Savings: 0.00
Pastelitos -- Pueblo Feast Day Pies

Filling:

Simmer for 30 mins 2 lb dried apricots. Drain and puree. Add:

1 c. brown sugar;
1 c golden raisins;
2 tsp cinnamon;
1/2 tsp nutmeg;
1/2 tsp cloves;
10 drops almond extract.

If the mixture isn't the consistency of marmalade or apple butter, cook stirring constantly over low until thickened. Set aside to cool.

Topping:

Mix:

1/3 c white sugar;
1 tsp cinnamon.

Dough:

Sift:

4 c flour;
1 tsp baking powder;
1 tsp salt.

Cut in:

1 c Crisco;
4 Tbsp butter;

Add 2 Tbsp at a time 2/3 c. ice water. Once the dough comes together, knead lightly. Wrap in plastic wrap and let rest in fridge for 30 mins.

Line the bottom of a shallow 10" x 15" jelly roll pan with parchment paper. And preheat oven to 400F.

Divide dough in half. Roll out 1/2 to 1/8" thickness. Line the bottom and sides of the jelly roll pan with the dough. Spoon on the filling and spread almost right up to the edges. Roll out the rest of the dough and cover. Trim edges and pitch shut. Brush lightly with water and dust with cinnamon sugar mixture. Pierce with a folk in many places to vent.

Bake 30-25 mins at 400F, until golden brown.

Cool and cut into squares. The portions you are given at Pueblos are quite generous.

The crust to filling ratio is very different than traditional Anglo pies. And the filling is very intense. I think they taste better the second day, when the flavors have blended and crust softened to a more cookie like consistency.
Attached Thumbnails
pastelitos.jpg  
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-09-2016, 11:03 AM   #2
Dances With Fat Chicks

milehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
milehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 27,237.05
yummmm

remember to add a touch of anise to the dough

and some spread a bit of sugar/cinnamon mix over top right before it goes in the oven

im an expert.....a trained professional on EATING pueblo pies

we use cherry, apple, apricot but mainly PRUNE
Old 05-09-2016, 11:11 AM   #3
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Ahh. I didn't know about the anise. That is what's missing from my dough! Extract or ground seed?

I know about the prunes ones. All my filling recipes are for prunes. I was kinds of winging with this. I wanted something less sweet than the prune. There is a lady at Isleta, who's name escapes me at the moment, she make pumpkin. To die for.

I'm having a really bad bout of wish I was in NM. I'm going to make carne adovada this week.
windanncer likes this.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:51 PM   #4
Dances With Fat Chicks

milehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
Ahh. I didn't know about the anise. That is what's missing from my dough! Extract or ground seed?

I know about the prunes ones. All my filling recipes are for prunes. I was kinds of winging with this. I wanted something less sweet than the prune. There is a lady at Isleta, who's name escapes me at the moment, she make pumpkin. To die for.

I'm having a really bad bout of wish I was in NM. I'm going to make carne adovada this week.
yep how can i forget pumpkin....one of our main foods

and my mom used to use a bit of ground seeds
Old 05-09-2016, 05:39 PM   #5
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
Thanks for the info. I'll try that. (But, I'm sure they'll never be as good as your mom's :) )

I'll probably be making some again real soon. I don't think they made it to second shift. I may go to Vending Nut Company and get dried apples.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:15 PM   #6
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
Well, I tried again. Nacho asked if I could make the "Indian Poptarts" again -- only in some flavor other than apricot.

This one is apple. I added a scant 1/4 tsp ground anise to the dough. I also was patient enough to get actual cold water, which made the dough less sticky.

They still look like hell tho' I never make pretty pies.

@milehighsalute, at the risk of being a nosy outsider... Do folks out your way use lard or Crisco as the shortening? Do you use fresh or dried apples?
windanncer likes this.

Last edited by OLChemist; 05-18-2016 at 01:47 PM..
Old 05-18-2016, 12:30 PM   #7
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
I don't know how the apple turned out. It was gone before I got any.
windanncer likes this.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:36 PM   #8
Dances With Fat Chicks

as far as i know fresh apples

they usually use shortening but i think some old timers still use lard

i wish my mom was still here with us so i could ask her...
Old 05-21-2016, 02:48 PM   #9
Northern Traditional

Items RainbowTree
eagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond repute
eagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 12,093.65
Thanks for sharing this recipe; sounds yummy! I'm going to give it a try today.

For pie crust, I still use lard. I can taste the difference. I learned from my mom & that's what she used. Though not all stores still carry lard.

I throw ice cubes into the water & stick the glass in the freezer 1st thing before I begin doing anything so the water is real cold.

When I was 5th grade, I made pie crust for the 1st time on my own. In my family, if you are good at doing something, then you get that job for life. LOL...my family liked the dough I made so it's been my job ever since. It's always my sister's job to make the frybread...mine turn out to be good Frisbees!
OLChemist and windanncer like this.
eagleclanriverband is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-21-2016, 06:19 PM   #10
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
You aren't living in the right area. We got manteca in every store except the health food stores, LOL. But I'm a Yankee. Lard grosses me out. Only tamales are worth touching it.
wardancer and windanncer like this.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:47 PM   #11
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 47,856.15
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
You aren't living in the right area. We got manteca in every store except the health food stores, LOL. But I'm a Yankee. Lard grosses me out. Only tamales are worth touching it.
But frybread just isn't frybread without Manteca !Completely changes the flavor.....OIT ! LOL

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
wardancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-21-2016, 08:23 PM   #12
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
I should clarify my level of internal inconsistency. I love chicken but gag when I have to pull the skin off. I love frijoles with lard, but can't stand to touch the stuff. I will eat taniga but only if I haven't seen the tripe.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:10 AM   #13
Dances With Fat Chicks

Quote:
I should clarify my level of internal inconsistency. I love chicken but gag when I have to pull the skin off. I love frijoles with lard, but can't stand to touch the stuff. I will eat taniga but only if I haven't seen the tripe.
WHAT????!!! what kinda injun are you?

we supposed to eat everything
Old 05-23-2016, 10:58 AM   #14
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
*Hanging my head in shame*

I know, my wasicu heritage is showing, LOL.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:05 PM   #15
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
Continuing my pumpkins are now in grocery store C. pepo (or C. moschata in this case) geek out:

Pumpkin Filling

Melt 4 Tbsp butter in a small saucepan.

Add 1 3/4 c dark brown sugar.

Allow to heat for a couple minute, stirring constantly. Add:

1 15oz can pureed pumpkin;
2 tsp cinnamon;
1/4 tsp ground cloves;
1/8 tsp salt;
a pinch of ground chile.

Cook over medium heat, until reduced. The mixture should be stiff enough to hold it's shape on a spoon.

Coll before use.

In my experience this makes slightly more than my pies will hold. The leftover is killer on a toasted bagel with a thin smear of cream cheese. (Or on a spoon straight out of the pan.)
Sponsored Links