Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Recipes pinched donuts pinched donuts

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2007, 01:05 AM   #1
pancake flipper

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Pvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond repute
Pvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 1.00
pinched donuts

has anyone made donuts from canned biscuits? If you have, how do you like them? do you frost or shake in sugar?
Pvt Butter is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2007, 01:07 AM   #2
pancake flipper

Pvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond repute
Pvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
I meant to add that I was skimming through Paula Deen's cookbook when I saw a couple of her quickie fixes. The donuts caught my eye and made me hungry.
Pvt Butter is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2007, 10:46 AM   #3
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
Savings: 0.00
Yes! These are about the only kind of donuts I make. We usually coat half the batch in powdered sugar and the other half in a cinnamon/sugar mixture.

If someone has a good donut glaze recipe, I'd like to know.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:09 AM   #4
Great Uncle Patrick

between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,691.96
Got a goot one, wyo... I'll be posting it on Friday.

As for deep frying biscuit dough YUM!

Try this:

Seperate the canned biscuits and squish each one until it's about 1/4" thick (about double in circumference). Take 1/2 of a strawberry (or slice of banana, couple of raspberries, piece of apple, a bit of rhubarb - add a little honey or cinnamon - whatever your favorite flavor combos are). Put it in the middle of the circle and fold the biscuit in half, mashing the edges together so they will stay shut.

Fry the filled biscuit in hot oil, turning once to get it evenly brown. Cool a bit on a paper towel and dust with powdered sugar - best served warm (I've never seen a plate of them last for more than a few minutes so I dunno if they're any good cold).
between2worlds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2007, 07:39 PM   #5
Great Uncle Patrick

between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,691.96
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo_rose View Post
Yes! These are about the only kind of donuts I make. We usually coat half the batch in powdered sugar and the other half in a cinnamon/sugar mixture.

If someone has a good donut glaze recipe, I'd like to know.
I got a few...

The first one I learned to make in gramma's big coffee cup - the one with the chip on the lip and no handle.

Take 1/2 C. of powdered sugar, stir in softened butter until it's smooth and gloopy (yeah that's a word!) - a little bit thinner than that white library paste and thicker than rubber cement. Add 1/4 tsp. vanilla, 2 pinches of salt and stir well. Next add milk (about a tablespoon in total) - a dribble at a time until the mixture has thinned to a bit thicker than heavy cream. The easiest way to tell if it's the right consistency is to lift the mixing spoon up and let the glaze drip off the spoon... it shouldn't run fast but rather drip-drop off slowly like ranch dressing. Drizzle over the pastry or cake.

Now for the recipes that actually got written down. Gramma never really used recipes - a dab of this and a dash of that, subsitute something for a missing ingredient. My Mom was the one that decided it all needed to be written down and brought in measuring cups and such and for a number of months Gramma would cook and my Mom would measure the things Gramma would dollup and splash.

Here are a couple of my favorite glazes from that old wooden box Gramma left me:

2 T. of your favorite fruit jam or jelly
1 C. powdered sugar
1 to 2 teaspoons milk or cream

Put jam in a glass jar and put the jar in a pan of boiling water stirring until it's melted. Remove from the heat and add in the powdered sugar stirring until smooth, dribble enough milk or cream in to make it the right consistency (see my comments in the "non-recipe" above). Drizzle the glaze over pastry of choice.

(Hint try mint jelly on chocolate pastry - wow!)

We had maple syrup to sweeten just about everything. Here is a maple syrup glaze:

1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
approx 1/3 cup maple syrup

Put the powdered sugar in a bowl, add the vanilla and about 1/2 the maple syrup and stir everything until smooth. Drizzle in the rest of the maple syrup until you get the right consistency.

Here's a chocolate glaze that doesn't use powdered sugar:

1 cup chocolate chips
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
4 tablespoons milk

Combine chocolate chips, syrup and milk in a dish over a pan of boiling water; stir until the chips are melted. Cool just a bit (but not too long because it sets as it cools).

Love that one with semi-sweet or dark chocolate morsels!
between2worlds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links