PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Recipes (http://forums.powwows.com/f84/)
-   -   pumpkin frybread???? (http://forums.powwows.com/f84/pumpkin-frybread-48220/)

Kamama 11-07-2008 05:33 PM

pumpkin frybread????
 
Hey all,
My fiance has been after me for a REALLY long time about making pumpkin frybread. I can make frybread, but, not pumpkin frybread. We've got these friends that live out in Maryland that make the most awesomeist (is that a word?) pumpkin frybread, but, they wont part with the recipe (cant blame them though, its THAT good) But, am wondering if anyone else out there may have a good recipe for pumpkin frybread so I can finally make my man happy LOL! Well, or as happy as my cooking goes...... Thanks!

NanGrand 11-07-2008 05:56 PM

Pumpkin frybread, let me know when it done I ll be there
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamama (Post 1237471)
Hey all,
My fiance has been after me for a REALLY long time about making pumpkin frybread. I can make frybread, but, not pumpkin frybread. We've got these friends that live out in Maryland that make the most awesomeist (is that a word?) pumpkin frybread, but, they wont part with the recipe (cant blame them though, its THAT good) But, am wondering if anyone else out there may have a good recipe for pumpkin frybread so I can finally make my man happy LOL! Well, or as happy as my cooking goes...... Thanks!


Good stuff!!! just add a small can of that pumpkin pie stuff to your dough and some sugar I think!! I'm a good eater not a cook but that's what I've seen done.

legalstraight 11-07-2008 06:14 PM

You usually make frybread or bannock? (and I dont wanna hear that they are the same thing, they aren't)

For bannock or gillette its pretty easy, ya you just add the punkin mix in.

For frybread you have to reduce the amount of liquid you use to accomodate for the moistness of the pumpkin mix(not sure on the math though).
Do not try to do it with real pumpkin, yuckkk.

Kamama 03-18-2009 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by legalstraight (Post 1237484)
You usually make frybread or bannock? (and I dont wanna hear that they are the same thing, they aren't)

For bannock or gillette its pretty easy, ya you just add the punkin mix in.

For frybread you have to reduce the amount of liquid you use to accomodate for the moistness of the pumpkin mix(not sure on the math though).
Do not try to do it with real pumpkin, yuckkk.

Frybread - Ive never even attempted to make bannock, wouldnt know where to start. I've eaten it a couple times, but, thats about it. I made an attempt at making the pumpkin fry bread a while back, and it wasnt BAD - but, it wasnt what I was hopeing for either. I used the can pumkin mix, and, it smelled good, tasted o.k., but, it was a little on the dry side. I'll have to make another attempt at it sometime soon.
The kind Im use to having, the batter looked almost like a cookie dough constistency, if not a little wetter. I dunno. Not sure if and when I'll get to see the yummy nummy orange pumkin frybread maker from Maryland again. Dang, now I gotta craving. Oh well, going out for Chinese food soon....meow.

Asmajol 04-13-2009 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamama (Post 1237471)
awesomeist (is that a word?)

Heck yes thats a word i use it all the time!!!!

Thanks for this post! I started drooling right away.
Sounds Sooooooooo Good!:thumbsup:

MNsitting 04-26-2009 06:14 AM

* 1 can pumpkin puree or cooked, fresh pumpkin
* 4 cups All purpose flour
* 4 teaspoons Baking powder
* 1 teaspoon Baking soda
* 1/2 cup Sugar
* 1 cup Water
* 1 tablespoon Sugar

Cook, peel, and mash the pumpkin, if using fresh pumpkin, or use a can of solid pack pumpkin. Add the cup of sugar, mix thoroughly.

Sift flour, baking powder and baking soda together. Gradually add pumpkin, sugar and water to make a soft dough.

When it just holds together, knead several minutes. Divide dough into 4 - 6 equal parts. Knead each portion again several minutes or until it becomes a soft, smooth ball. Roll out each portion 1 inch thick. Another method is to pinch off small pieces of dough and form into individual cakes 2 - 3 inch across.

In a large iron skillet, fry in very hot vegetable oil (about 1inch in depth) until brown on one side. Flip over and brown other side. The bread will puff up and get crisp and chewy. Sprinkle with granulated sugar.

your wish has been answered lol enjoy

MNsitting 04-26-2009 06:17 AM

great now I gotta go make some......try putting just 1 tbl of pumpkin pie spice...... omg

Kamama 04-27-2009 12:29 AM

Thanks! I'll have to pick up the stuff I dont have when we go to the store next time.
One question - you mention 1/2 cup sugar and then 1 tablespoon sugar - would one of those be an oopsy? Just wanna make sure I get it all down right. Thanks a bunch! I'll let you know how it turns out.

MNsitting 04-27-2009 01:12 AM

The one spoon is for sprinkleing over afterwards

shorty 10-20-2010 06:30 PM

oh wow
 
im definatly gonna have to try this!!!!!!

Kamama 10-23-2010 03:45 PM

Thanks a million. I finally got it! I had to add a little more flour (used 1/2 self rising) and subtracted down to about 1/4 cup water, and it turned out great. Or atleast I thought so. Ill find out later if its a hit or not when other people eat it. Now I get to try my hand at baked fish to go with it. Thanks again. You're a life saver. :)

goodrunner 01-09-2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamama (Post 1237471)
Hey all,
My fiance has been after me for a REALLY long time about making pumpkin frybread. I can make frybread, but, not pumpkin frybread. We've got these friends that live out in Maryland that make the most awesomeist (is that a word?) pumpkin frybread, but, they wont part with the recipe (cant blame them though, its THAT good) But, am wondering if anyone else out there may have a good recipe for pumpkin frybread so I can finally make my man happy LOL! Well, or as happy as my cooking goes...... Thanks!

Try pumpkin flour. Works great!! (you can get it at health food stores)...good luck!! :smile:

milehighsalute 01-09-2013 09:14 PM

in the land of the pueblo they just spread the pumpkin on top

goodrunner 01-09-2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milehighsalute (Post 1555094)
in the land of the pueblo they just spread the pumpkin on top

MMMM...that sounds good too!!!! :smile:

wyo_rose 01-14-2013 08:07 PM

Mmmm...now I'm hungry!

Fang 01-25-2013 02:53 PM

This sounds delicious! I'm going to have to get some pumpkin next time I head to the store and try this out. Thanks for sharing!

Maize-Grower 08-30-2014 05:29 AM

Mmmm... Let's see... *recollects family's frybread recipe*
  • 2 cups self rising flour
  • 3/4 cup of mashed baked pumpkin or other winter squash or yams or sweet potatoes or apples
  • 1 egg
  • 5 tbs melted butter or margarine
  • 1/4 cup sugar

No real need to add spices. Pumpkin is pretty epic on its own if it's fresh. If you do add them though, sift it into the flour. This is a light and flaky frybread. It's good with hickory nut butter spread on top or if you have pork and squash stew with it. You can bake it like rolls if you want to lower the fat, but don't use sugar substitutes or it will mess with the texture. It cooks a bit faster than regular frybread because of the butter and sugar, but it's worth the extra caution for the taste. Makes about 8 regular hand-sized frybreads or 12 rolls.

I'm having house guests tomorrow, probably going to make this for them.

Harland Jones 09-01-2014 12:57 PM

I don't know.It sounds good.

I really like pumpkin.I really like frybread.But putting them both together.A person could pour some honey and butter and eat it like that. hhhhmmmmm.I'll try it.


I've thought about tomato dried frybread as well as cheese frybread.Just a thought.:thinking::thinking::thinking:

Maize-Grower 09-04-2014 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harland Jones (Post 1606137)
I don't know.It sounds good.

I really like pumpkin.I really like frybread.But putting them both together.A person could pour some honey and butter and eat it like that. hhhhmmmmm.I'll try it.


I've thought about tomato dried frybread as well as cheese frybread.Just a thought.:thinking::thinking::thinking:

I'm gonna try a fried banana bread pretty soon here... Someone gave us a huge tub of coconut oil and I was thinking I could take that recipe for frybread I posted above and use mashed bananas and coconut oil in place of the pumpkin/sweet potatoes and butter. And I was thinking I might add some nutmeg. If it fails, I'll just end up with a big yummy doughnut. Win-win situation really.

I made sourdough frybread yesterday. The sky is the limit.

Harland Jones 09-04-2014 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maize-Grower (Post 1606391)
I'm gonna try a fried banana bread pretty soon here... Someone gave us a huge tub of coconut oil and I was thinking I could take that recipe for frybread I posted above and use mashed bananas and coconut oil in place of the pumpkin/sweet potatoes and butter. And I was thinking I might add some nutmeg. If it fails, I'll just end up with a big yummy doughnut. Win-win situation really.

I made sourdough frybread yesterday. The sky is the limit.

Exactly.Just about anything that you would eat with sliced bread you could do with frybread. How ' bout french frybread !!! Sounds good to me... or breakfast frybread tacos.HHHmmmm.Sounds good !!!:shades_sm:shades_sm I have eaten sliced venison and gravy...open faced while on a hunting trip. Good stuff.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright 2006, PowWows.com, LLC