Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree19Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Recipes pumpkin frybread???? pumpkin frybread????

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2008, 05:33 PM   #1
Fancy Shawl Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Kamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond repute
Kamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 368.00
Savings: 1.00
pumpkin frybread????

Hey all,
My fiance has been after me for a REALLY long time about making pumpkin frybread. I can make frybread, but, not pumpkin frybread. We've got these friends that live out in Maryland that make the most awesomeist (is that a word?) pumpkin frybread, but, they wont part with the recipe (cant blame them though, its THAT good) But, am wondering if anyone else out there may have a good recipe for pumpkin frybread so I can finally make my man happy LOL! Well, or as happy as my cooking goes...... Thanks!
Old 11-07-2008, 05:56 PM   #2
Junior Dancer

NanGrand is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Pumpkin frybread, let me know when it done I ll be there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamama View Post
Hey all,
My fiance has been after me for a REALLY long time about making pumpkin frybread. I can make frybread, but, not pumpkin frybread. We've got these friends that live out in Maryland that make the most awesomeist (is that a word?) pumpkin frybread, but, they wont part with the recipe (cant blame them though, its THAT good) But, am wondering if anyone else out there may have a good recipe for pumpkin frybread so I can finally make my man happy LOL! Well, or as happy as my cooking goes...... Thanks!

Good stuff!!! just add a small can of that pumpkin pie stuff to your dough and some sugar I think!! I'm a good eater not a cook but that's what I've seen done.
NanGrand is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2008, 06:14 PM   #3
its to cold up here

legalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond repute
legalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 599.56
You usually make frybread or bannock? (and I dont wanna hear that they are the same thing, they aren't)

For bannock or gillette its pretty easy, ya you just add the punkin mix in.

For frybread you have to reduce the amount of liquid you use to accomodate for the moistness of the pumpkin mix(not sure on the math though).
Do not try to do it with real pumpkin, yuckkk.
legalstraight is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2009, 02:47 PM   #4
Fancy Shawl Dancer

Kamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond repute
Kamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalstraight View Post
You usually make frybread or bannock? (and I dont wanna hear that they are the same thing, they aren't)

For bannock or gillette its pretty easy, ya you just add the punkin mix in.

For frybread you have to reduce the amount of liquid you use to accomodate for the moistness of the pumpkin mix(not sure on the math though).
Do not try to do it with real pumpkin, yuckkk.
Frybread - Ive never even attempted to make bannock, wouldnt know where to start. I've eaten it a couple times, but, thats about it. I made an attempt at making the pumpkin fry bread a while back, and it wasnt BAD - but, it wasnt what I was hopeing for either. I used the can pumkin mix, and, it smelled good, tasted o.k., but, it was a little on the dry side. I'll have to make another attempt at it sometime soon.
The kind Im use to having, the batter looked almost like a cookie dough constistency, if not a little wetter. I dunno. Not sure if and when I'll get to see the yummy nummy orange pumkin frybread maker from Maryland again. Dang, now I gotta craving. Oh well, going out for Chinese food soon....meow.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:42 PM   #5
Asmajol

Quote:
awesomeist (is that a word?)
Heck yes thats a word i use it all the time!!!!

Thanks for this post! I started drooling right away.
Sounds Sooooooooo Good!
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2009, 05:14 AM   #6
Fan Maker

MNsitting has a reputation beyond reputeMNsitting has a reputation beyond reputeMNsitting has a reputation beyond reputeMNsitting has a reputation beyond reputeMNsitting has a reputation beyond reputeMNsitting has a reputation beyond reputeMNsitting has a reputation beyond reputeMNsitting has a reputation beyond reputeMNsitting has a reputation beyond reputeMNsitting has a reputation beyond reputeMNsitting has a reputation beyond reputeMNsitting has a reputation beyond reputeMNsitting has a reputation beyond reputeMNsitting has a reputation beyond reputeMNsitting has a reputation beyond reputeMNsitting has a reputation beyond reputeMNsitting has a reputation beyond reputeMNsitting has a reputation beyond reputeMNsitting has a reputation beyond repute
* 1 can pumpkin puree or cooked, fresh pumpkin
* 4 cups All purpose flour
* 4 teaspoons Baking powder
* 1 teaspoon Baking soda
* 1/2 cup Sugar
* 1 cup Water
* 1 tablespoon Sugar

Cook, peel, and mash the pumpkin, if using fresh pumpkin, or use a can of solid pack pumpkin. Add the cup of sugar, mix thoroughly.

Sift flour, baking powder and baking soda together. Gradually add pumpkin, sugar and water to make a soft dough.

When it just holds together, knead several minutes. Divide dough into 4 - 6 equal parts. Knead each portion again several minutes or until it becomes a soft, smooth ball. Roll out each portion 1 inch thick. Another method is to pinch off small pieces of dough and form into individual cakes 2 - 3 inch across.

In a large iron skillet, fry in very hot vegetable oil (about 1inch in depth) until brown on one side. Flip over and brown other side. The bread will puff up and get crisp and chewy. Sprinkle with granulated sugar.

your wish has been answered lol enjoy
txhoover, Kokomi and TeenaBear like this.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:17 AM   #7
Fan Maker

MNsitting has a reputation beyond reputeMNsitting has a reputation beyond reputeMNsitting has a reputation beyond reputeMNsitting has a reputation beyond reputeMNsitting has a reputation beyond reputeMNsitting has a reputation beyond reputeMNsitting has a reputation beyond reputeMNsitting has a reputation beyond reputeMNsitting has a reputation beyond reputeMNsitting has a reputation beyond reputeMNsitting has a reputation beyond reputeMNsitting has a reputation beyond reputeMNsitting has a reputation beyond reputeMNsitting has a reputation beyond reputeMNsitting has a reputation beyond reputeMNsitting has a reputation beyond reputeMNsitting has a reputation beyond reputeMNsitting has a reputation beyond reputeMNsitting has a reputation beyond repute
great now I gotta go make some......try putting just 1 tbl of pumpkin pie spice...... omg
Old 04-26-2009, 11:29 PM   #8
Fancy Shawl Dancer

Thanks! I'll have to pick up the stuff I dont have when we go to the store next time.
One question - you mention 1/2 cup sugar and then 1 tablespoon sugar - would one of those be an oopsy? Just wanna make sure I get it all down right. Thanks a bunch! I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:12 AM   #9
Fan Maker

The one spoon is for sprinkleing over afterwards
Old 10-20-2010, 05:30 PM   #10
Senior Dancer

shorty has a reputation beyond repute
shorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond reputeshorty has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 80.00
Thumbs up oh wow

im definatly gonna have to try this!!!!!!

..BuffaloHorse
..Eyabay..BattleCreek..
BlazingSaddles..wHIteHorse

CitieHigh..BlackBearCrossing..CederCreek..
ChinikiLake..TimberLand..TBZ..BadNation

..Estayapi..Mandaree..BLACKSTONE ..HIGHNOON..
LakeVermillion..LittleOtter..RedBull*..LynxClan

**Sizzortail..BearCreek..WildROse..cOzad..GtO..

LynxClan..N0rtheRnCree..Tatae`Topaw..MeskwakiNatio n..
StoneyCreek..BlackLodge..YngKingbird..
Oyatae..

Eva-Hey Nakota
..RockyBoyRamblers..PonemahRamblerz..
CumberLand.wildHorse..oGiidakii..SmokeyTown..
NorthernWInd ojibwe plainz
RIP lil brother
shorty is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-23-2010, 02:45 PM   #11
Fancy Shawl Dancer

Thanks a million. I finally got it! I had to add a little more flour (used 1/2 self rising) and subtracted down to about 1/4 cup water, and it turned out great. Or atleast I thought so. Ill find out later if its a hit or not when other people eat it. Now I get to try my hand at baked fish to go with it. Thanks again. You're a life saver. :)
Old 01-09-2013, 09:05 PM   #12
Tiny Tot Dancer

goodrunner has a reputation beyond repute
goodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 798.17
Quote:
Hey all,
Try pumpkin flour. Works great!! (you can get it at health food stores)...good luck!!
goodrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-09-2013, 09:14 PM   #13
Dances With Fat Chicks

milehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
milehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 27,237.05
in the land of the pueblo they just spread the pumpkin on top
TeenaBear likes this.
milehighsalute is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-09-2013, 10:05 PM   #14
Tiny Tot Dancer

goodrunner has a reputation beyond repute
goodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond reputegoodrunner has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 798.17
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighsalute View Post
in the land of the pueblo they just spread the pumpkin on top
MMMM...that sounds good too!!!!
goodrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-14-2013, 08:07 PM   #15
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,045.53
Mmmm...now I'm hungry!
wyo_rose is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-25-2013, 02:53 PM   #16
Frybread glutton

Items Treasure Chest
Fang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond repute
Fang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond reputeFang has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 18,688.35
This sounds delicious! I'm going to have to get some pumpkin next time I head to the store and try this out. Thanks for sharing!
Fang is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-30-2014, 04:29 AM   #17
ᏎᎷ ᏓᏛᎯᏍᏗᏍᎪᎢ

Maize-Grower has a reputation beyond repute
Maize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,290.91
Talking

Mmmm... Let's see... *recollects family's frybread recipe*
  • 2 cups self rising flour
  • 3/4 cup of mashed baked pumpkin or other winter squash or yams or sweet potatoes or apples
  • 1 egg
  • 5 tbs melted butter or margarine
  • 1/4 cup sugar

No real need to add spices. Pumpkin is pretty epic on its own if it's fresh. If you do add them though, sift it into the flour. This is a light and flaky frybread. It's good with hickory nut butter spread on top or if you have pork and squash stew with it. You can bake it like rolls if you want to lower the fat, but don't use sugar substitutes or it will mess with the texture. It cooks a bit faster than regular frybread because of the butter and sugar, but it's worth the extra caution for the taste. Makes about 8 regular hand-sized frybreads or 12 rolls.

I'm having house guests tomorrow, probably going to make this for them.
windanncer likes this.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:57 AM   #18
Tasunke Wakan Okalakiciye

Harland Jones has a reputation beyond reputeHarland Jones has a reputation beyond reputeHarland Jones has a reputation beyond reputeHarland Jones has a reputation beyond reputeHarland Jones has a reputation beyond reputeHarland Jones has a reputation beyond reputeHarland Jones has a reputation beyond reputeHarland Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Harland Jones has a reputation beyond reputeHarland Jones has a reputation beyond reputeHarland Jones has a reputation beyond reputeHarland Jones has a reputation beyond reputeHarland Jones has a reputation beyond reputeHarland Jones has a reputation beyond reputeHarland Jones has a reputation beyond reputeHarland Jones has a reputation beyond reputeHarland Jones has a reputation beyond reputeHarland Jones has a reputation beyond reputeHarland Jones has a reputation beyond reputeHarland Jones has a reputation beyond reputeHarland Jones has a reputation beyond reputeHarland Jones has a reputation beyond reputeHarland Jones has a reputation beyond reputeHarland Jones has a reputation beyond reputeHarland Jones has a reputation beyond reputeHarland Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,479.12
I don't know.It sounds good.

I really like pumpkin.I really like frybread.But putting them both together.A person could pour some honey and butter and eat it like that. hhhhmmmmm.I'll try it.

I've thought about tomato dried frybread as well as cheese frybread.Just a thought.
alumphfres likes this.

Last edited by Harland Jones; 09-01-2014 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: 'making me hungry !!!
Harland Jones is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-04-2014, 05:31 PM   #19
ᏎᎷ ᏓᏛᎯᏍᏗᏍᎪᎢ

Maize-Grower has a reputation beyond repute
Maize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond reputeMaize-Grower has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,290.91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harland Jones View Post
I don't know.It sounds good.

I really like pumpkin.I really like frybread.But putting them both together.A person could pour some honey and butter and eat it like that. hhhhmmmmm.I'll try it.

I've thought about tomato dried frybread as well as cheese frybread.Just a thought.
I'm gonna try a fried banana bread pretty soon here... Someone gave us a huge tub of coconut oil and I was thinking I could take that recipe for frybread I posted above and use mashed bananas and coconut oil in place of the pumpkin/sweet potatoes and butter. And I was thinking I might add some nutmeg. If it fails, I'll just end up with a big yummy doughnut. Win-win situation really.

I made sourdough frybread yesterday. The sky is the limit.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:24 PM   #20
Tasunke Wakan Okalakiciye

Harland Jones has a reputation beyond reputeHarland Jones has a reputation beyond reputeHarland Jones has a reputation beyond reputeHarland Jones has a reputation beyond reputeHarland Jones has a reputation beyond reputeHarland Jones has a reputation beyond reputeHarland Jones has a reputation beyond reputeHarland Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Harland Jones has a reputation beyond reputeHarland Jones has a reputation beyond reputeHarland Jones has a reputation beyond reputeHarland Jones has a reputation beyond reputeHarland Jones has a reputation beyond reputeHarland Jones has a reputation beyond reputeHarland Jones has a reputation beyond reputeHarland Jones has a reputation beyond reputeHarland Jones has a reputation beyond reputeHarland Jones has a reputation beyond reputeHarland Jones has a reputation beyond reputeHarland Jones has a reputation beyond reputeHarland Jones has a reputation beyond reputeHarland Jones has a reputation beyond reputeHarland Jones has a reputation beyond reputeHarland Jones has a reputation beyond reputeHarland Jones has a reputation beyond reputeHarland Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,479.12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maize-Grower View Post
I'm gonna try a fried banana bread pretty soon here... Someone gave us a huge tub of coconut oil and I was thinking I could take that recipe for frybread I posted above and use mashed bananas and coconut oil in place of the pumpkin/sweet potatoes and butter. And I was thinking I might add some nutmeg. If it fails, I'll just end up with a big yummy doughnut. Win-win situation really.

I made sourdough frybread yesterday. The sky is the limit.
Exactly.Just about anything that you would eat with sliced bread you could do with frybread. How ' bout french frybread !!! Sounds good to me... or breakfast frybread tacos.HHHmmmm.Sounds good !!! I have eaten sliced venison and gravy...open faced while on a hunting trip. Good stuff.
Toolbox likes this.

Last edited by Harland Jones; 09-04-2014 at 10:31 PM..
Harland Jones is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links