Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Recipes Recipe Index Recipe Index

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-14-2008, 12:07 AM   #21
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantRainbowDevilDevil
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 29,159.15
Savings: 1.00
wheres all the yummy stuffs? lol
Old 01-09-2009, 10:20 PM   #22
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,045.53
Savings: 0.00
buh buh buh bump
Old 01-15-2009, 12:42 AM   #23
Pow Wow Visitor

chandari is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 106.12
Cool Traditional Recipes

I am taking a Native American Cultures class at University this semester. One of the three projects that we have to do for the class is a Recipe. If we don't do that, we get to write a 2nd 10 page paper. I'd rather do the Recipe and learn something new. :)

I'm hoping to do something from the Hopi or Navajo. Where can I find perhaps a few recipes so that I can look them over and see which one I would enjoy making the most? This is something that I would bring to class and share with them, and my instructor. I have to research it, get the ingredients, and cook it myself.

He told us that one year he had a student bring Acorn Cookies in. It doesn't have to be exotic, but it definitely has to be traditional. And if I have to order the proper ingredients online to make it, I'll be doing that. He said it cannot be something that has been modified.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, on where I can look?
chandari is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-15-2009, 01:21 AM   #24
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 36,043.53
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandari View Post
I am taking a Native American Cultures class at University this semester. One of the three projects that we have to do for the class is a Recipe. If we don't do that, we get to write a 2nd 10 page paper. I'd rather do the Recipe and learn something new. :)

I'm hoping to do something from the Hopi or Navajo. Where can I find perhaps a few recipes so that I can look them over and see which one I would enjoy making the most? This is something that I would bring to class and share with them, and my instructor. I have to research it, get the ingredients, and cook it myself.

He told us that one year he had a student bring Acorn Cookies in. It doesn't have to be exotic, but it definitely has to be traditional. And if I have to order the proper ingredients online to make it, I'll be doing that. He said it cannot be something that has been modified.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, on where I can look?
Modified by what?
Using Modern Flour?
Using an oven?
When you say "traditional" alot of foods have been changed in the past 100 years that use ingrediants not used before
Flour and Lard would certainly be in that Catagory

So when you said Acorn Cookies although one ingrediant sounds Traditional certainly cookies is not!

What many tribes cooked for subsitance, it was not complex recipe driven foods
Typically they were one step dishes
roasted, boiled or baked in coals

Just trying to clarify what your asking...
Old 01-15-2009, 01:34 AM   #25
Pow Wow Visitor

Cool Traditional Recipes

Thank you for responding, Josiah. I believe when my professor says not modified, he means not something that gets changed as it is handed down. Say your grandmother's grandmother made a particular dish, and it called for certain amounts of certain items and as it came down to you, you decided that you were going to substitute something else in. We are talking about things that would have been originally used/made. Like Fry Bread. That hasn't really changed through the years. The acorn cookies were something made with acorn flour, which is a traditional item used by Native Americans in the California Area. So the student modified the recipe he had used and just created them into cookies, for ease of bringing to class is my understanding.

But that's what we mean, if something has been made for generations with acorn meal, you can't substitute corn meal for it instead. It has to be traditional recipes.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:57 AM   #26
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 36,043.53
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandari View Post
Thank you for responding, Josiah. I believe when my professor says not modified, he means not something that gets changed as it is handed down. Say your grandmother's grandmother made a particular dish, and it called for certain amounts of certain items and as it came down to you, you decided that you were going to substitute something else in. We are talking about things that would have been originally used/made. Like Fry Bread. That hasn't really changed through the years. The acorn cookies were something made with acorn flour, which is a traditional item used by Native Americans in the California Area. So the student modified the recipe he had used and just created them into cookies, for ease of bringing to class is my understanding.

But that's what we mean, if something has been made for generations with acorn meal, you can't substitute corn meal for it instead. It has to be traditional recipes.
NativeTech: Indigenous Food and Traditional Recipes
Old 01-15-2009, 02:43 AM   #27
Pow Wow Visitor

Cool Traditional Recipes

Thank you very much Josiah! I am checking out that link now. It looks like there are 23 recipes from the Southwest. This way, if I need to locate a traditional ingredient online and order it, I have time. We're covering the Hopi & Navajo Cultures in Mid-Late March.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you! I cannot say that enough. *dances off to find something to prepare for her classmates*
Old 03-11-2009, 12:13 PM   #28
Ready to dance

wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Don't believe everything you see on the Internet.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:43 PM   #29
Ready to dance

Or read.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:46 AM   #30
Ready to dance

Oh I wish this this thread was sticky!!
Old 07-10-2009, 11:45 AM   #31
Great Uncle Patrick

between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,795.00
wish granted :-)

between2worlds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-14-2009, 11:04 PM   #32
Pow Wow Visitor

LaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond repute
LaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond reputeLaughingWaterWI has a reputation beyond repute
Where are the recipes?

Hmmmm I Thought I would just drop by to get some good ol fashioned recipes.....

you know those one pot ones but healthy ......
LaughingWaterWI is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-07-2010, 10:44 PM   #33
inferno

bishamon1461 has a reputation beyond reputebishamon1461 has a reputation beyond reputebishamon1461 has a reputation beyond reputebishamon1461 has a reputation beyond reputebishamon1461 has a reputation beyond reputebishamon1461 has a reputation beyond reputebishamon1461 has a reputation beyond reputebishamon1461 has a reputation beyond reputebishamon1461 has a reputation beyond reputebishamon1461 has a reputation beyond reputebishamon1461 has a reputation beyond reputebishamon1461 has a reputation beyond reputebishamon1461 has a reputation beyond reputebishamon1461 has a reputation beyond reputebishamon1461 has a reputation beyond repute
WHA! FOOD FOOD FOOD! YUMMY!
i wanna make the food!
ima write em down!!!
You will see your beauty every moment that you rise
bishamon1461 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-15-2010, 02:46 PM   #34
Raven Black Wolf

Raven Black Wolf is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 191.60
Deep Dish Cornbread (9x13)

Line your dish with raw bacon (sides and bottom)
In a mixing bowl, mix together:
3 cups yellow buttermilk self-rising cornmeal
1 can of cream style corn
diced onions and jalapenos
1 tbsp. salt
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 oil or butter
3 eggs
whole buttermilk to consistency
cook per cornmeal (cornbread) package directions
top with melted butter
Raven Black Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-15-2010, 02:50 PM   #35
Raven Black Wolf

Raven Black Wolf is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 191.60
sweet pea salad

Two cans of sweet peas (drained)
(sorry, but I don't measure anything, just eyeball it)...:)
chopped onion
chopped pickle
4 boiled chopped eggs
ham or bacon
mayo
salt/pepper

This recipe is like pasta salad; it gets better each day. Might sound a little yucky, but try it. IT ROCKS! :)
Raven Black Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-16-2010, 03:29 PM   #36
PowWows.com Addicts

LittleCricket has a reputation beyond reputeLittleCricket has a reputation beyond repute
LittleCricket has a reputation beyond reputeLittleCricket has a reputation beyond reputeLittleCricket has a reputation beyond reputeLittleCricket has a reputation beyond reputeLittleCricket has a reputation beyond reputeLittleCricket has a reputation beyond reputeLittleCricket has a reputation beyond reputeLittleCricket has a reputation beyond reputeLittleCricket has a reputation beyond reputeLittleCricket has a reputation beyond reputeLittleCricket has a reputation beyond reputeLittleCricket has a reputation beyond reputeLittleCricket has a reputation beyond reputeLittleCricket has a reputation beyond reputeLittleCricket has a reputation beyond reputeLittleCricket has a reputation beyond reputeLittleCricket has a reputation beyond reputeLittleCricket has a reputation beyond reputeLittleCricket has a reputation beyond reputeLittleCricket has a reputation beyond reputeLittleCricket has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 122.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingWaterWI View Post
Hmmmm I Thought I would just drop by to get some good ol fashioned recipes.....

you know those one pot ones but healthy ......
Hmmm..one pot & healthy...I suppose you want easy too so I'm gonna revise one of my soup recipes to make it easy...
2 quarts of low sodium chicken broth
1 roasted chicken from wally world or ur fav grocery store already cooked
1 package of mushrooms
2 bunches of fresh spinach
slice mushrooms anyway you want
pull apart the chicken
dump everything in pot,cooked til the spinach is wilted,add pepper to taste
eat it
Old 09-16-2010, 03:40 PM   #37
PowWows.com Addicts

LittleCricket has a reputation beyond reputeLittleCricket has a reputation beyond repute
LittleCricket has a reputation beyond reputeLittleCricket has a reputation beyond reputeLittleCricket has a reputation beyond reputeLittleCricket has a reputation beyond reputeLittleCricket has a reputation beyond reputeLittleCricket has a reputation beyond reputeLittleCricket has a reputation beyond reputeLittleCricket has a reputation beyond reputeLittleCricket has a reputation beyond reputeLittleCricket has a reputation beyond reputeLittleCricket has a reputation beyond reputeLittleCricket has a reputation beyond reputeLittleCricket has a reputation beyond reputeLittleCricket has a reputation beyond reputeLittleCricket has a reputation beyond reputeLittleCricket has a reputation beyond reputeLittleCricket has a reputation beyond reputeLittleCricket has a reputation beyond reputeLittleCricket has a reputation beyond reputeLittleCricket has a reputation beyond reputeLittleCricket has a reputation beyond repute
BTW u can take the above recipe & sub a bag of frozen veggies for the spinach & mushrooms or you can add a bag of frozen corn in place of the spinach & still use mushrooms
Old 09-16-2010, 03:42 PM   #38
PowWows.com Addicts

you could also add a cup of quick cook barley & use the mushrooms and no other veggies..use your imagination
Old 09-17-2010, 02:36 PM   #39
Ready to dance

Thanks you guys. Both recipes sound wonderful.

My daughter had pea salad somewhere and wanted to know a recipe.

And the soup sounds quick, easy, and delicious.

Next time, just start a new thread so the recipes don't get lost on here.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:40 AM   #40
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 100,199.91
Quote:
Originally Posted by phineasalton View Post
Ii is important to have an index on anything.If you have an Or bought a book for recipes you must have to check there is a index or not.Because it is necessary to give index of the recipes books.It is helpful to find out the recipes of the things which we want.
Thank you for the good words, phineasalton. You're going to be a great member. wyo_rose loves great members in her threads!!!

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links