Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Recipes Recipe Index Recipe Index

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-23-2011, 07:23 AM   #61
I'm a bad influence on ME

Items GuitarPanda
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
trouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond repute
trouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond repute
Location: jaw-ja, you know, way down yonder in the land of cotton....
Credits: 26,775.11
Savings: 0.00
AnyKynd Pot Pie

this can be used for a plethera of things...just do what sounds good to you...

When I bake a chicken or buy one of those quick and easy already roasted chickens at the grocery store, this is what I do with the left overs ( you could also use leftover turkey from Thanksgiving, or a few cans of drained tuna fish, or deboned salmon, or beef roast chunks, or even stewed fruit, or canned pie filling)

Debone leftovers

add 2 cans of drained mixed vegs (Or use your leftover veggies from your freezer tupperware container)
chop up an onion if you'd like, add that too
add a can of cream of mushroom or chicken soup, whichever you'd like

add enough until it looks like the right proportions
pour into a casserole dish

here's the crust :

1/2 stick butter soft
1 cup milk
1 1/2 cup self rising flour
mix together pour over top of meat/veggie/mixture

on top of that pour 1 stick of melted butter

bake at 350 degrees for about 1 1/2 hours
until golden brown

"Daddy would have gotten us Uzis."

Subeeds Said:Want to borrow my .30/.30 or do you have your own weapon?

Pigheaded said: "How come noone ever wants to pull pork?"

Joe'sDad said:"Wait. I can do without sweet. Just make it black...like my heart!"
trouble is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2011, 07:38 AM   #62
Pow Wow Visitor

Southernwhitelace has a reputation beyond reputeSouthernwhitelace has a reputation beyond reputeSouthernwhitelace has a reputation beyond reputeSouthernwhitelace has a reputation beyond reputeSouthernwhitelace has a reputation beyond reputeSouthernwhitelace has a reputation beyond reputeSouthernwhitelace has a reputation beyond reputeSouthernwhitelace has a reputation beyond reputeSouthernwhitelace has a reputation beyond reputeSouthernwhitelace has a reputation beyond reputeSouthernwhitelace has a reputation beyond reputeSouthernwhitelace has a reputation beyond reputeSouthernwhitelace has a reputation beyond reputeSouthernwhitelace has a reputation beyond reputeSouthernwhitelace has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 448.60
Quote:
Originally Posted by trouble View Post
Thanks sweetie!!

..And the Tupperware thing...I do the same thing in another container with left over meats, that don't have gravy on them...just put them all together in a container and keep in freezer, then when is gets cool outside I make several really huge pots of Brunswick Stew..my family loves my recipe for this...and between the tupperware for soup and this one for stew, it saves a lot of waste...I can't stand to waste anything...you grow up really poor you learn how to economize for every penny.....so...that really worked well for us, and kind of stuck as I grew up and got out on my own.....now my brothers love it when this time of year comes..I fill their freezers and our parents, and mine with my "doings" as they call it..

I hope I have time tomorrow...I've a got a Super, easy receipe for Chicken and Dumplings that I make for them too.........
Your "doings' sound great to me as I grew up poor as well. Thank you for all the fine recipes and economic ideas!
Southernwhitelace is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2011, 01:15 PM   #63

Items GuitarPanda
trouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond repute
trouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond reputetrouble has a reputation beyond repute
Easy Chili
with or without beans, up to you....

Okay, start out the same as most everythign...get the 12qt pot w/ lid out...dice a couple of big onions...then follow up with this..

Ground Meats

Okay, sometimes, I use just ground beef...the better quality the better it taste, however, I can't always find that on sale.....so
Most times I use a total of about 5 lbs of ground meat for this...
Whether it is ground beef, ground turkey, ground pork or a mixture of the three or two or whatever, just ground meat....
(last week I found ground turkey on sale for 99cents a pound, and bought every bit they had, and repackaged it and stuck it in the freezer)( and again, if you find a roast or some other cut of beef that has a less expensive price than what it already ground in the meat case, you can ask the meat department workers to grind that piece up for you if you don't have a meat grinder at home...I have one at home, and it's worth it's weight in gold!!)

I normall like to use 2 lbs of ground sirloin and 3-4 pounds of ground turkey for my "normal" chili.....

so brown that up with the chopped onions, some black pepper, a dash of garlic powder, a bit of salt, cook until the onions are clear and the ground meat is done

do not rinse, do not drain, just leave it......

add in 3 envelopes of you local store brand envelope Chili spice
on the spice aisle, where all the other envelopes of gravy and sauce mixes are...I usually use just the mild flavor......

Throw those in and stir well, letting the juices make the spices liquify....

now, if you want beans, take 4-5 cans of red (dark or light, whichever you prefer, makes no difference in taste) and pour into a collander and rinse thoroughly, like 5-6 times, get that ick off of them...when they look fresh, then toss them in the pot,
add to this 3 large cans of tomatoe sauce........makes sure to stir it as it begins to boil, it will thicken and reduce some, but not a lot....now, when done, you can put leftovers in quart sized ziplock bags...fill 1/2 way, get all the air out,then seal and lay flat, so when it freezes, the bag is nice and flat and can be stacked neatly in your freezer.......

without beans is great on hot dogs if you're cooking out for a football game or are out camping.....

Joe'sDad said:"Wait. I can do without sweet. Just make it black...like my heart!"
Old 09-23-2011, 01:31 PM   #64

Items GuitarPanda
Beef Stroganoff

Okay this is another one I came up with to try to help out some friends who needed something that could be done for large groups...so this can be multiplied or divided easily depending on the number of people you are feeding.....

Beef: either quality ground beef, ground beef/ground turkey mixture, or chunks of leftover roast beef (I'll post that one next)

cook beef with 2 large chunked onions, and about 2-3 packages of mushrooms (fresh, either white, button or baby portobellos) that have been sliced, and 6-8 cloves of fresh garlic that have been smashed and chopped (or use the jar of diced garlic you find in the produce dept that you keep in the fridge, so easy to use this more often) salt and pepper

when done, DO NOT DRAIN
add

2 large cans of cream of mushroom soup
about 1 cup of milk
2 16 oz cartons of sour cream

if it is not thin enough add more milk
if it is too thin add 1 small can of cream of mushroom soup at a
time to thicken up

careful not to let it stick to the pot and burn

cook 2 large bags of egg noodles al dente
serve sauce over noodles
w/ a really nice garlicy hearty bread
and a good fresh salad

NOW, if you are not having a large get together, don't cook all those noodles at once, just cook what you need, then take the sauce and after it cools, fill quart sized ziplocks halfway full, get the air out, lay them flat to freeze, then you can stack them neatly in the freezer for a quick and easy meal later. If you have a seal a meal, that's even better, because after you seal, and freeze, when you're ready to use, just pop the whole bag into a pot of boiling water to heat it up....

Old 09-23-2011, 01:40 PM   #65

Items GuitarPanda
Easy Beef Roast

Again, this one was to save time and effort

Take a big old beef roast, throw it in your crock pot, add chunks of onions (2-4 whole onions, or those frozen baby onions, those are cute to use too!!)
add the usual, garlic and pepper....

then take 2 envelopes of onion soup mix, 5 envelopes of beef / brown or mushroom gravy mix, add just enough water to melt them
all down, pour over the roast in crock pot, then add more water
until it get about 1 1/2 inches below the top lip of the crock pot
cover with lid, turn on high, walk away.
(I usually set mine up , so that it starts as I'm walking out the door to work)

When you get home, remove lid and add in 1lb bag of baby carrots carrots and chunks of potatoe that have been cut up, place lid back on top, let cook for 30-45 mins, when potatoes are done, serve .....

the gravy makes in the crock pot while cooking and the meat will fall apart when you try to pick it up.....

NOW, if you want to not make the gravy, just don't use the gravy envelopes, but still use the instant onion soup mix....and whatever leftovers you have can then be used to make stroganoff or
can be used to make soup..or can be chopped up to go in you brunswick stew container in the freezer that we talked about earlier.....

Old 03-31-2013, 10:26 AM   #66
Pronounced like "docket"

Items Rainbow$CakeTreasure Chest
docat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond repute
docat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 7,375.82
I can't get any of the recipes on the first page that Rose has listed. Did the new server forget to move those recipe pages over?
docat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-04-2014, 11:45 AM   #67
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,045.53
Updating links... it didn't dawn on me that they're broken.

And I will add links to the newer recipes too....gives me something to do when I'm on hold on the phone.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:07 PM   #68
Northern Trad Dancer

alumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond repute
alumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 16,513.61
Garlic Butta Hot Wings

Total Time: 1 hr 40 min
Prep: 1 hr 5 min
Cook: 35 min
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
Level: Easy

Ingredients

For the wings;
1 tablespoon granulated garlic
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon mustard powder
1 tablespoon freshly cracked black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
2 teaspoons ground cumin
4 pounds chicken wings, tips removed

For the sauce:
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic (about 2 cloves)
1 jalapeno pepper, minced (remove seeds for less heat)
1 12 -ounce bottle hot pepper sauce
4 tablespoons unsalted or salted butter
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice

Directions

Turn on the radio or boom box to your favorite selection of Hand drum songs.

Prepare the wings: In a large bowl, combine the granulated garlic, cayenne pepper, mustard powder, black pepper, white pepper and cumin. Remove and reserve 2 tablespoons of the spice mixture for the sauce.

Rinse the wings and pat dry. Add to the bowl with the remaining spice mixture and toss to coat well. Lay the wings on a baking sheet, loosely cover and refrigerate 1 to 2 hours.

Preheat a grill to medium high with direct and indirect heat (on a gas grill, turn off the burners on one side; on a charcoal grill, bank the coals to one side). Cook the wings over direct heat, turning, until they are good and crispy on both sides, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer to the cooler side of the grill and cook, turning frequently, until cooked through, 8 to 10 more minutes.

Make sure that there ain't no dogs hangin' 'round the grill when you cook these wings. They don't need any help walking away when you're not lookin'.

Meanwhile, make the sauce: In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the olive oil, garlic and jalapeno. Sauté 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the reserved 2 tablespoons spice mixture and the hot sauce. Bring to a simmer, then add the butter, vinegar and lime juice and stir until the butter melts. Keep warm until ready to serve. Put the wings in a large bowl, pour in the sauce and toss.

To make these wings in the oven, arrange on a rack set on a baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees F for 45 to 55 minutes, turning halfway through.

This is not considered healthy food. You've been warned. Enjoy!
alumphfres is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links