PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Recipes (http://forums.powwows.com/f84/)
-   -   Roasting Peppers (http://forums.powwows.com/f84/roasting-peppers-35299/)

wyo_rose 10-03-2006 02:18 PM

Roasting Peppers

Hey does anyone have some tips on roasting green chilies. We got a bunch and spent a couple hours peeling some chilies that we roasted in the oven.

It shouldn't be that hard!! Any suggestions greatly appreciated as we still have a couple tons.

between2worlds 10-03-2006 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyo_rose
Hey does anyone have some tips on roasting green chilies. We got a bunch and spent a couple hours peeling some chilies that we roasted in the oven.

It shouldn't be that hard!! Any suggestions greatly appreciated as we still have a couple tons.

Did you put them in a plastic bag and let them sweat until they were cool after you roasted them?

I usually just stick the peppers on a long handled fork, roast them on my gas cooktop by twirling the fork handle slowly until they are black all over, pop them into a plastic bag, seal it up tight and wait about 20 minutes. This lets the steam in the pepper "sweat" and forces the skin away from the flesh.

The plastic bag trick works on oven roasted chilies and tomatoes too!

wyo_rose 10-03-2006 03:26 PM

The bag trick sounds good.

How blistered/charred/burnt are you supposed to get them?

OLChemist 10-03-2006 05:40 PM

Ahh, fall in NM. The smell of burning fields and chiles in the roasters in the parking lot....

Blacken and blister the entire skin of the chile. Your barbeque grill is great for this, since roasting in the house will set off the smoke detectors and tear gas everyone. Then take them off the fire and put them in a closed paper bag to steam. Once the chiles are room temp., roll them between you palms under running water to "slip" the skins. Done right they should come right off.

When all else fails:

http://www.buenofoods.com/

The autumn roast mild green is very fine. Makes delightful posole. I bring two icechests full back every time I go to NM. (I work with way too many chile heads.)

Chevy_truckin_NDN 10-03-2006 06:28 PM

mmmmhmmmm roasted peppers! sounds good. I think I'll get some and serve em up this weekend. It sounds easy enough. LOL Other than that, I don't have anything else to add.

Joe's Dad 10-03-2006 09:54 PM

Put them on a griddle to roast them. Keep turning them until ya got all sides roasted. Get a dish rag (or whatever rag you use in the kitchen) and soak it. Wrap the peppers in the towel and let them sit for a while. I saw it on Rachel Ray!

Kiddin about RR!LOL

between2worlds 10-04-2006 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyo_rose
The bag trick sounds good.

How blistered/charred/burnt are you supposed to get them?

Here's a before and after roasting picture:

http://images.stltoday.com/stltoday/...harpeppers.jpg

wyo_rose 10-05-2006 12:41 PM

Chah-hey!! That's pretty black. Some of the peppers we roasted didn't have much "flesh" left after we blackened them.

Last night we did some jalapenos and some red chilies. Put them in a bag, STILL TOOK FOREVER to peel and seed them. However, we made some KICK BUTT chili rellenos.

I like pepper jack in a chili relleno, but found ONE good recipe online for a cream cheese filling. BFREN is a purist and likes plain cream cheese, but try this:

1/2 C cream cheese
1/3 C shredded cheddar
1/4 C minced onion
2 T minced garlic
2 T lime juice
MIX WELL FOR FILLING.

Stuff roasted and seeded chili peppers with filling, you'll be amazed how easy it is to seal the hole up. I was even able to recreate a nice plump pepper shape from a tore up, flat pepper.

BEAT two egg whites until frothy, mix in 1/4 C. cornstarch and dip the chili rellenos in this and fry until dark golden brown.

Just watch out for the hot peppers! I ate about 4 large stuffed jalapenos and suffered all night! :lol:

wyo_rose 10-05-2006 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe's Dad
Put them on a griddle to roast them. Keep turning them until ya got all sides roasted. Get a dish rag (or whatever rag you use in the kitchen) and soak it. Wrap the peppers in the towel and let them sit for a while. I saw it on Rachel Ray!

Kiddin about RR!LOL

Hey, Rachel Ray ROCKS!

wyo_rose 12-06-2007 08:04 AM

WARNING: This recipe will cause you to eat more hot stuff than you can handle.

These peppers are SO GOOD! I roasted some more peppers last night, peeled them and stuffed them. My picky daughter even liked them.

But I ate too many again, and they were the HOT ones. I gotta limit myself to 2 or 3.

Pvt Butter 12-06-2007 12:20 PM

Bobbie Flay has a roasting tip on his website. I don't have time this moring, but when I take a break I'll dig it up for you.

Pvt Butter 12-06-2007 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyo_rose (Post 816692)
Hey, Rachel Ray ROCKS!

no kidding...RR has the best fudge recipe on her website. She uses equal parts semi-sweet choc and butterscotchies and doubles the vanilla.

wyo_rose 12-06-2007 02:09 PM

MMMM!!! Sounds good.

Anyway, after many trial and error attempts, I found the way that works for me on roasting and peeling.

I don't roast. :lol: I just deep fry them and the skin comes right off. I could never get an even 'burn' on the peppers, but the oil does a great job.

MIB 12-06-2007 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyo_rose (Post 994631)
MMMM!!! Sounds good.

Anyway, after many trial and error attempts, I found the way that works for me on roasting and peeling.

I don't roast. :lol: I just deep fry them and the skin comes right off. I could never get an even 'burn' on the peppers, but the oil does a great job.

Why you wanna make peppers skinless ??

wyo_rose 12-06-2007 04:17 PM

Well for these stuffed peppers, there's a batter and it doesn't stick good if the skins on.

It gives you more flavor too, if you roast your peppers then skin them.

I suppose it's like skinning tomatoes for cooking. I don't mind the skins, and am always amazed when you're supposed to blanch and peel your tomaters. More fiber, I say..even though it's just floating in your chili or whatnot.

Pvt Butter 12-07-2007 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIB (Post 994652)
Why you wanna make peppers skinless ??

in some recipes the skin will change the outcome of the end product. Tomatoes, potatoes, chilis, etc. They don't always have to be skinless, but for some reduction sauces, etc the textbook method is to skin the fruit or veg

Pvt Butter 12-07-2007 12:28 AM

...oh yes, and the skin adds fiber and at times can be bitter.

wyo_rose 12-07-2007 05:23 PM

Oh yes! I've noticed the bitterness especially on stuffed green peppers with the skins on!

Pvt Butter 12-07-2007 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyo_rose (Post 995120)
Oh yes! I've noticed the bitterness especially on stuffed green peppers with the skins on!

right! and some peppers - the skin can get stuck in the throat. Other peppers are easier to digest. I guess it's all the preparation and use. I'm not huge on peeling tomatoes unless the recipe comes from a purist. I have a recipe for marinara sauce that requires fresh tomatoes that have been skinned. It's a very simple sauce and skin would alter the overall flavor.