Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By wyo_rose
  • 1 Post By NorthofAda

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Recipes Thanksgiving Recipes Thanksgiving Recipes

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-25-2010, 02:25 AM   #1
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,045.53
Savings: 0.00
Thanksgiving Recipes

Posting some Turkey Day recipes so I have them in one place as I'm cooking!

Turkey Brine: Of course, I buy my turkey at the last minute, or occasionally get a free one the day before and they are hard as bowling balls. I mix a warm brine in a medium sized cooler, set the turkey in for an hour, then add some ice to keep bacteria at bay until it's ready to cook the next day.

1 cup salt
1 cup brown sugar
Veggie broth if you have it
1 tablespoon black pepper corns
1 teaspoon garlic
1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
1 teaspoon sage
Or any other spices

I haven't cooked at this high temp before, but here's how I'm going to flash cook my turkey.

Rinse the turkey and pat dry. Rub with butter or oil. Place some aromatics in the turkey cavity: onion, apple, celery, etc...

Bake at 500 degrees for 30 minutes, turn the heat down and cook at 350 degrees until a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees. Cover the breast of the turkey with tin foil after it browns nicely.

Let rest for 30 minutes before you carve it.

To "carve": cut off the wings, drumsticks and thighs, debone the thighs and cut into chunks. Cut the whole breast off one side of the turkey, and cut into thick slices. Then do the other side if you need more..

Last edited by wyo_rose; 11-25-2010 at 02:36 AM..
wyo_rose is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-25-2010, 02:37 AM   #2
Ready to dance

wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Crockpot Stuffing:

VEGGIE MIXTURE

* 2 cups onions, chopped
* 2 cups celery, chopped
* 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms, well drained and chopped (optional)

CHICKEN BROTH MIXTURE

* 4 cups chicken broth
* 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
* 3/4 teaspoon sage (optional, it looks like my poultry seasoning is mostly sage)
* 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper
* 1 teaspoon thyme
* 2 eggs

FINAL MIXTURE

* 12 cups dry bread
* Veggie mixture

1. Saute veggie mixture in 1 cup butter for 5 minutes cooling slightly.
2. In 2-quart mixing bowl put chicken broth mixture and mix well.
3. Pour the bread in a very large bowl put in the veggie mixture and toss to combine. Pour the broth mixture over the bread and stir. If you have very dry bread it will absorb all the broth. If your bread is kinda moist, you may not need all the broth.

Now put it all into a crock pot and cover. Cook on high for 1 hour, then turn it down to low to cook for 4-8 hours more.

Last edited by wyo_rose; 11-25-2010 at 01:39 PM..
Old 11-25-2010, 02:38 AM   #3
Ready to dance

Sweet Pptato Casserole

* 3 cups mashed sweet potatoes (cut in 2 inch slices and boil for 45 minutes or until a fork goes in easily)
* 1 cup brown sugar
* 2 eggs, lightly beaten
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 1/2 cup melted butter
* Topping:
* 1/2 cup brown sugar
* 1/3 cup flour
* 1/3 cup melted butter
* 1 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Preparation:
Combine first 6 ingredients. Pour into a buttered 1 1/2 to 2-quart casserole dish. Mix remaining ingredients together and sprinkle over top. Bake at 350 for 30 to 40 minutes, until hot and browned.
Serves 6 to 8.

Last edited by wyo_rose; 11-26-2010 at 12:15 AM..
Old 11-25-2010, 07:45 AM   #4
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 100,199.91
Savings: 1.00
JD's Thanksgiving Recipe!!!

While others are stressing to get the Thanksgiving dinner perfect, JD has concocted his version of the Perfect Thanksgiving Recipe. Ingredients can vary with user.

1 cell phone (land line will also do)

1 family member/friend/next door neighbor

1 credit card or cash

1 bourbon

1 whiskey

1 beer

Use the cell phone to call some one u know cooks goot. This is usually a family member, cuz they try to cook like mom or grandma did it. And you know how mom or grandma did it! If family member isn't available...or is trying to do the same thing you are... use a lifeline and pick a friend. Note: Men...pick a friend who is HOT! It's best if you get along with the friend, but if you know they cook good...it doesn't matter if you get along...we're talking FREE food!

Now here is the hard part. We know we can't go empty handed. If you can afford it, have something in your hand when you get to the door! If you're planning on stretching out on their couch n watching the ball games after you eat THEIR food...u can get 1 bourbon, 1 whiskey, 1 beer! When this runs out, you don't feel guilty slurping up the gracious host's beverages. Hell, you already ate their food!!! I prefer to buy a couple of pies from Marie Callenders. Be sure you buy your favorites, cuz ur going to take them home when you leave.

Note: Try to hold off on the 1 bourbon, 1 whiskey, 1 beer until AFTER you arrive. There is nothing worse than a drunk making an *** of themselves while the family is trying to eat a good meal.

After all, what are we there for? Yes, you are right. We are there to to give thanks for that which we have and for having friends who will have us over despite our shortcomings.

Celebrate in moderation...and give thanks for today!

Happy Thanksgiving, everybody!!!

And thanks wyo_R/Rose for lending me your thread!!!

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-26-2010, 12:43 AM   #5
Ready to dance

We all have our favorite recipes, and thanks for sharing yours, JD!!

Someday I hope to try it out.

Hope you had (are having) a great Thanksgiving!

I have so much to be thankful for, and hope I don't take anybody or anything for granite (granted ).
Old 11-26-2010, 04:51 PM   #6
Pow Wow Visitor

I'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
tweek your taters

Wyo, when I do sweet potatoes I use a little less sugar and add one can of drained crushed pineapple and a tablespoon of cinnamon.
kinda tasty
Hope you had a great Thanksgiving
Mutt
I'm A Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-01-2010, 04:45 AM   #7
Ready to dance

Oh pineapple sounds good to me. My mom puts orange juice in hers. Most of the family are purists though, and want PLAIN sweet potatoes, although I'm sure I could cut down on the sugar.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:45 PM   #8
Pow Wow Visitor

I'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond reputeI'm A Mutt has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
It works well with Splenda, too. My favorite way to eat sweet potatoes is still baked and buttered, with a little cinnamon.
Mutt
I'm A Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-28-2013, 01:03 AM   #9
Ready to dance

Gravy: pour drippings from the roasted turkey into a measuring cup or bowl and let them sit awhile to separate. Then skim off all the pure fat from the top and put in a skillet. Add an equal amount of flour, and stir over medium heat. Should form a thick paste, not too crumbly, and then melt into a bubbly concoction. Stir constantly for at least five minutes, or until the flour turns a shade darker.

Have the remaining drippings ready , and a pitcher of warm water. You'll need to stir constantly while adding the liquid, so be ready and don't stop for any reason. So while stirring, add all the drippings and then some of the water. Keep stirring while the gravy starts to form, first into a thick foam, then a thick paste, and as you add more water, a thinner gravy. You may get tempted to stop stirring when lumps form, but don't quit! As long as you had only turkey fat mixed with the flour to begin with, you will not have lumpy gravy.

It will quit boiling when you have enough water in, and like I said, be a thin gravy consistency. Now is the time to season with salt and pepper to taste, spending on the seasoning of your drippings. Turn up the heat until it boils again, then down and simmer at least five minutes. If it gets too thick, add more water . If its too thin, simmer it longer . It will thicken slightly when cooling.

Best turkey gravy EVER, and easy-peezy!
windanncer likes this.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:51 PM   #10
Back where I belong

Items Present
NorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond repute
NorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,899.39
Wyo, your recipes look good! Have to try that next time. I was laughing at JD's recipe - his sounds like a lot less work, LOL! Hope you and your families had a good turkey day!
windanncer likes this.
NorthofAda is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links