Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Recipes The ultimate Thanksgiving Dinner The ultimate Thanksgiving Dinner

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-15-2007, 01:28 PM   #21
commander bun-bun

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Ginger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond repute
Ginger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 1.00
This is my favorite green bean casserol recipe

1/3 stick butter
1/2 cup diced onions
1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms I like extra mushrooms
2 cups sliced green beans
3 cups chicken broth
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
1 (2.8-ounce) can French-fried onion rings
Pinch House Seasoning, recipe follows
1 cup grated Cheddar

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Melt the butter in a large skillet. Saute the onions and mushrooms in the butter. Boil green beans in chicken broth for 10 minutes or longer it depends on how you like your beans and drain. Add the green beans, mushroom soup, onion rings, and House Seasoning, to taste, to the onion mixture. Stir well. Pour into a greased 1 1/2-quart baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes, then top the casserole with the Cheddar and bake for 10 minutes longer, or until the casserole is hot and cheese is melted.

House Seasoning:
1 cup salt
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-2007, 01:29 PM   #22
M...O...T...to the S!

Items Present
middle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond repute
middle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 829.86
my mouth is watering...can someone invite me over for dinner?
middle of the sky is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-2007, 01:30 PM   #23
commander bun-bun

Ginger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond repute
Ginger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond reputeGinger has a reputation beyond repute
I make both Dry & Wet dressing, I lived in Georgia for 15 years

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:07 PM   #24
pancake flipper

Pvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond repute
Pvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger View Post
I make both Dry & Wet dressing, I lived in Georgia for 15 years
I wish everyone could come to dinner. I would be in heaven cooking for a bunch of people love good food.

Dressing is cooked outside the bird. Wet & dry dressing is a treat! I'm going to make both stuffing and dressing. The key to safe stuffing is to make sure the stuffing is the same temp as the bird, that way there is even cooking and the dressing (which becomes stuffing) does not alter the temperature inside the bird cavity.
Pvt Butter is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-2007, 05:08 PM   #25
pancake flipper

Pvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond repute
Pvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
This is my favorite green bean casserol recipe

1/3 stick butter
1/2 cup diced onions
1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms I like extra mushrooms
2 cups sliced green beans
3 cups chicken broth
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
1 (2.8-ounce) can French-fried onion rings
Pinch House Seasoning, recipe follows
1 cup grated Cheddar

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Melt the butter in a large skillet. Saute the onions and mushrooms in the butter. Boil green beans in chicken broth for 10 minutes or longer it depends on how you like your beans and drain. Add the green beans, mushroom soup, onion rings, and House Seasoning, to taste, to the onion mixture. Stir well. Pour into a greased 1 1/2-quart baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes, then top the casserole with the Cheddar and bake for 10 minutes longer, or until the casserole is hot and cheese is melted.

House Seasoning:
1 cup salt
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder

mmmmm, cheese...
Old 11-15-2007, 05:10 PM   #26
pancake flipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo_rose View Post
ButterBall, I mean ButterBean...lol...(got turkey on my mind)...

You'll have to fix your link, Hungry Girl LUV the site!!! Thanks!!

mmmmm, butter ball, mmmmmmmm
Old 11-15-2007, 05:28 PM   #27
pancake flipper

new favorite pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by butter bean View Post
mmmmm, butter ball, mmmmmmmm
it isn't pop at all - it's red kool aid! OMGOSH, it's one of those twist flavors cherry/watermelon. My little sister made it with Splenda and it was so good. yummmmmmmmm. I'm going to stock up on the kool aid this year.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:36 PM   #28
commander bun-bun

Quote:
Originally Posted by butter bean View Post
I wish everyone could come to dinner. I would be in heaven cooking for a bunch of people love good food.

Dressing is cooked outside the bird. Wet & dry dressing is a treat! I'm going to make both stuffing and dressing. The key to safe stuffing is to make sure the stuffing is the same temp as the bird, that way there is even cooking and the dressing (which becomes stuffing) does not alter the temperature inside the bird cavity.
Me too I invite a lot of people over neighbors, friends family I love to cook for a crowd I do the works & I make the best apple carmel pies

Old 11-15-2007, 05:40 PM   #29
commander bun-bun

I make something I call stuffin muffins I take a portion of the stuffing & scoop it in muffin tins then bake, that way every one has a perfect portion of dressing/stuffing

Old 11-15-2007, 06:50 PM   #30
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
Savings: 0.00
Good idea, Ginger!! And could you please post your Caramel Apple Pie recipe again??? Please, please!

ButterBean, we always have punch with just 1/2 and 1/2 Koolaid and either 7UP, sprite or lemon/lime soda. We'll have to try the new twist kind. (of course Splenda and Diet pop)
Old 11-15-2007, 07:40 PM   #31
pancake flipper

Quote:
I make something I call stuffin muffins I take a portion of the stuffing & scoop it in muffin tins then bake, that way every one has a perfect portion of dressing/stuffing
What a great idea! and please, post your caramel apple pie.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:42 PM   #32
pancake flipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo_rose View Post
Good idea, Ginger!! And could you please post your Caramel Apple Pie recipe again??? Please, please!

ButterBean, we always have punch with just 1/2 and 1/2 Koolaid and either 7UP, sprite or lemon/lime soda. We'll have to try the new twist kind. (of course Splenda and Diet pop)
I'm going to mix it with 7up. I was so suprised that I liked the flavor combination. I actually got mad at my sister for making kool aid in the "water" pitcher LOL. Now she's mad at me because I drank up all her kool aid
Old 11-15-2007, 11:30 PM   #33
commander bun-bun

I don't really measure so one day when I made a pie I came up with these measurements

store bought crust for deep dish pie or make your own
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
5 cups sliced apples.. I like to combine gala & granny smith
2/3 cup white sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon lemon juice
20 caramels, halved
1 tablespoon cream
2 tablespoons milk
I don't use as much sugar or you can substite brown sugar splenda & regluar splenda it's just as yummy

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).

Put apples in a large bowl. combine brown sugar, melted butter or margarine, and 1/3 cup flour. Add white sugar, 3 tablespoons flour, cinnamon,lemon juice, and cream Toss until all ingredients are mixed well and apples are thoroughly coated.

. Spoon apple filling into pastry-lined deep-dish pan. Top with half of caramels Place top pastry over filling and seal well (this is very important--if edges are not sealed, caramel will leak out all over). Cut steam vents and brush top crust with milk or light cream.
Cover pie with foil and place on a baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil from pie and bake for another 20 to 25 minutes, until crust is golden. Serve warm.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:21 AM   #34
Ready to dance

wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Gin!!! This is the best apple pie!!
Old 11-19-2007, 10:48 AM   #35
Ready to dance

OK, time is short so I'll bring the rolls - Pillsbury Crescent Rolls, and some Brown and Serve Wheat Rolls. They're an ongoing tradition at our house.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:39 PM   #36
Great Uncle Patrick

between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,691.96
still got time for this make ahead cranberry ambrosia (if you're coming for dinner at my place you better let me know cuz dat one big bowl ober der is just for me!) -

take 1 package of whole (non frozen, not canned just plain ole from the produce section of the grocery store) cranberries and grind them up. You can use a food processor or a blender (hint: put about a cup full of water in the blender and drop the berries in a few at a time) or a nut grinder or even one of those metal meat grinders that clamps on the edge of the kitchen table. You definitely want them chopped up fine.

Take a glass or ceramic bowl (cranberries are acidic), put two cups of mini-marshmallows in the bottom, mix 1 cup of sugar into the cranberries and pour them on top. Stir once or twice but don't stir too much. Put this mixture in the refridgerator for about 24 hours. The marshmallows will get a little gooey and pink on the outside but they should be firm in the middle. Wait too long and the marshmallows will dissolve!

Peel (if desired), core and chop 3 medium apples into bite sized pieces. Add 1 cup of grapes (seedless if you can get them, cut out the seeds if you can't, if they are huge - cut the grapes in half). Add 1/2 c. of chopped walnuts or chopped pecans (optional). Dump the fruit/nuts on top of the cranberry mixture.

The next step (just before serviing) is to add 2 C of heavy whipping cream - whipped with a teaspoon of vanilla and 2 T. of powdered sugar in it. You can use Cool Whip or Dream Whip if you like, but I love the whipping cream.**

Fold the fruit/nuts/cranberries/marshmallows into the whipped cream and serve. This will keep 3 days in the fridge without having the cream separate... although there is only once I made enough to have any left overs!

**The secret to making whipping cream FAST is pretty easy - put your blender carafe and blades (or mixer blades and bowl) in the freezer at least 30 minutes ahead of time. Making your mixing equipment cold ahead of time means that all you have to do is dump in the cream and mix... it only takes a couple of minutes. Once it's thick whip in some powdered sugar to help it "hold up", then add any spices.
between2worlds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2007, 03:36 PM   #37
Banned

silence is golden is infamous around these partssilence is golden is infamous around these partssilence is golden is infamous around these partssilence is golden is infamous around these parts
nutloaf

famous recipee from Govindas restaurant in l.a.,served on sat nights,and is one of the amazing entrees for thanksgiving day at Govindas...
3c.cooked brown rice(basmati rice okay)
1/2c.of three different nuts chopped:walnuts,cashews and almonds
2c.shredded cheese
(plus 1c.shredded for topping)
1c.tomato sauce
1t.salt
1/2t.pepper
1/4t.asafetida(this spice can only be bought at indian stores)
1/t.sage
1/2c.finely choppedbell pepper
Blend ingredients and put in greased 9"x9"square baking pan.Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour covered with foil,then remove.Add the remaining 1c.shredded cheese on top and bake additional 15 minutes uncovered.Offer to Krsna(the all-attractive one) and serve warm..with gravy and cranberry sauce.
silence is golden is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2007, 04:20 PM   #38
Ready to dance

Wow that's different. I would have never thought to pair nuts with cheese.

Glazed nuts are the bomb. I threw 1/2 cup walnuts in a bowl with 2 tablespoons butter and 2 packets splenda (or use 2 T. brown sugar). In 30 seconds (microwave times may vary), they were delishish!

I started baking apples too: Stuff a cored Granny SMith apple with the same mixture as above. Bake at 350 for an hour, spooning the liquid over the apple several times during baking. Serve with a dollop of ice cream.

My daughter's bringing SW corn for our Turkey Dinner. Dice 1/2 cup of bacon and cook until crispy. Saute diced zucchini and onion and peppers in bacon drippings. Add in a package of frozen corn and saute until crisp-tender. Can't wait!
Old 11-19-2007, 04:22 PM   #39
Ready to dance

Wow that's different. I would have never thought to pair nuts with cheese.

Glazed nuts are the bomb. I threw 1/2 cup walnuts in a bowl with 2 tablespoons butter and 2 packets splenda (or use 2 T. brown sugar). In 30 seconds (microwave times may vary), they were delishish!

I started baking apples too: Stuff a cored Granny SMith apple with the same mixture as above. Bake at 350 for an hour, spooning the liquid over the apple several times during baking. Serve with a dollop of ice cream.

My daughter's bringing SW corn for our Turkey Dinner. Dice 1/2 cup of bacon and cook until crispy. Saute diced zucchini and onion and peppers in bacon drippings. Add in a package of frozen corn and saute until crisp-tender. Can't wait!
Old 11-19-2007, 11:48 PM   #40
commander bun-bun

I made 4 of my apple pies today & one of them is already gone, the boys & husband were standing over the oven with forks Wednesday is a good friend of mine birthday, me & the hubby are going to watch her (singer)in her band tomorrow & I'm taking her one of my pies she just love them.

Sponsored Links