Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Recipes Wild Rice Wild Rice

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2007, 01:35 PM   #1
Lovin' life,

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 260.00
Savings: 1.00
Wild Rice

I have one pound of wild rice ( dont' be hatin on me ....dang ) and need some good ways to fix it. I have a turkey breast and a beef roast if that'll help any.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:22 PM   #2
Great Uncle Patrick

between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,691.96
Turkey and Wild Rice Soup

Mato - I'm assuming you have the "real deal" wild rice. It's very different from "Uncle Ben's" and other wild rice that you can buy in the grocery store. Indigenous wild rice has a different flavor (kind of nutty with mushroom-like undertones), it takes less uncooked rice to make a serving and it doesn't get "mushy" when it's cooked like white rice or the genetically altered stuff that they seel as wild rice in the stores.

Here is something you can do with your turkey and wild rice.

If the turkey breast is already cooked -

Cube half the trukey breast, put it in a big pot, cover with a gallon of water and simmer about 30 minutes (or until the liquid is reduced by half) - add 3-4 stalks of chopped celery, 1 medium chopped onion, 4-5 mashed garlic cloves, 1 teaspoon dried rosemary and 1 teaspoon thyme. Add a quart of water and simmer for another 30 minutes.

(if the turkey is uncooked, put it in the pan whole, cover with water and double the first boiling time - adding water as you need. Remove the turkey from the broth, cube half of it and continue with the part where you boil the vegetables).

Strain the broth (reserving the meat and vegies) and return the broth to your pan. Add salt and pepper to taste and bring everything back to a boil. Add 1/2 cup rice for every 2 cups broth. Turn the heat off and cover tightly (no peaking) for 30 minutes.

After 30 minutes, check the rice. It should be somewhat firm to the teeth.

Add back in the veggies and turkey along with a handful of what my Gramma's recipe says is "something crunchy" - that could be anything from walnut meats to thin slices of celery to pieces of cattail stem ... I've even used canned water chestnut. The final addition is a cup of fresh cranberries which are kind of hard to get right now. I always buy extra and throw the bags in the freezer. You can use craizins instead if you put them in a bowl of hot water sweetened with a tablespoon or two of honey for about 20 minutes before putting them in the soup.

Heat the soup until everything is heated through but the "crunchy things" are still crunchy. Serve with your favorite sidebread (cornbread, biscuits, rolls, sourdough, etc).
between2worlds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-10-2007, 02:33 PM   #3
Lovin' life,

Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 260.00
hey thanks!

Yup yup........ it's the real deal....... that's why I said don't be hatin on me....... you know how them indins are about their wild rice.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:33 PM   #4
Great Uncle Patrick

between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
Creamy Wild Rice Stew

Chop a pound or so of (cooked or uncooked) beef roast into bite size pieces.

Brown the beef in 2-3 tablespoons of oil (I like using olive oil) and add a large can of mushrooms (or 1/2 lb of washed chopped fresh mushrooms) and a medium chopped onion. At the end add 2-3 cloves of chopped garlic.

In a big boiling pot put 6 cups of water (and the water from the canned mushrooms if you used canned) and 5 cubes of chicken bullion (or use 6 cups of chicken stock or canned chicken stock) and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add 2 cups of wild rice and cover tightly for 20 - 30 minutes.

Add the beef mixture (with the oil) to the rice, 1 can of cream of celery soup and 1 can of cream of chicken soup. Cook stirring occassionally until the mixture is bubbling hot and the desired thickness.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:36 PM   #5
Great Uncle Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mato Winyan View Post
hey thanks!

Yup yup........ it's the real deal....... that's why I said don't be hatin on me....... you know how them indins are about their wild rice.

not hating

Just reminded me that I need to tell any shinobs coming for Nationals that I will trade for indig rice
Sponsored Links