Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree2Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Creative Writing recommend some books recommend some books

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2008, 10:41 AM   #21
PowWows.com Addicts

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond repute
OneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Lightbulb

Tales of Macabre and Horror
HP Lovecraft

He has many compilations and whole stories out there in print. Borders or Barnes & Noble, Walden, etc will have him.

For any lover of horror or mystery and fantasy, HP is a must ya'll. He's the Grandfather of Sci-Fi/Horror save Edgar Allan Poe. Yes I have compared him to Edgar Allen Poe, and hell Shakespeare, why the hell not; far as greatness goes. And the guy was a total nut, not that Edgar or Shakespeare weren't. But it sure helps writing doesn't it!
Old 02-10-2008, 01:00 PM   #22
Junior Dancer

SheTurtle is a name known to all
Credits: 999.17
As far as fiction is concerned, just about anything by Louise Erdrich and Alexie Sherman. I also liked The Grass Dancer by Susan Power. I am re-reading Perma Red by Debra Magpie Earling. House Made of Dawn by M. Scott Momaday was also an amazing book. Just throw in anything else by M. Scott Momaday. Paula Gunn Allen also put together a couple of great anthologies of American Indian Literature: Voice of the Turtle, and Song of the Turtle.

The Broken Cord, by Michael Dorris, was also a powerful read. It is about his experience of adopting a child with fetal alcohol syndrome. Maybe this has been corrected in further editions, but the last 75 pages of my edition looked as if they were added as an afterthought, and really did not fit in the flow of the book.

Thanks for this thread. Now you have me looking back at my library.
SheTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2008, 01:37 PM   #23
Junior Dancer

outershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond repute
outershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,712.26
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneidaDreamer View Post

Choke, Fight Club, Diary: Chuck Palaniuk
so far i've loved everything by chuck palahniuk , he has a wonderfully twisted view on life.
his books are never the same ol, same ol....
Old 02-21-2008, 02:55 PM   #24
Love that dirty watah!

ndnangel49 is a splendid one to beholdndnangel49 is a splendid one to beholdndnangel49 is a splendid one to beholdndnangel49 is a splendid one to behold
I agree with you SheTurtle, Louise Erdrich, and Sherman Alexie are two of my favorite Authors, Louise Erdrich's book the Bingo Palace was one I just reread, very good. As far as twisted, Stephen King style, I have to give it up to my cousin Paul Tremblay, some of his books make your hair stand up. The last book I just read though and reccomend is "Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert. Very good book, especially the begining when she is in Italy, if you are a foodie you will definatly enjoy reading about her trip through Italy.
Currently I just finished that book, looking for another good book to delve into, suggestions are more than welcome. :)
"As your children want to become doctors and lawyers, they may find it difficult. They may hear 'well, your parents were in a terrorist group/ We tell you that now, so you understand it. Tell your children to tell their children this [Wounded Knee 1973] was a very proud moment. Wear that history like a badge of honor. We will never, ever say we were sorry we did it." Dennis Banks, AIM

"Everything that has ever happened to us is there to make us stronger." John Trudell

You gotta say it right "Pahk tha cah in Havid yahd! "
ndnangel49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-06-2008, 05:31 PM   #25
PowWows.com Addicts

OneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond repute
OneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond repute
Dark Elf Trilogy and the Icewind Dale Trilogy
By. RA Salvatore

Peace and Love
OD
OneidaDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-08-2009, 06:30 PM   #26
Ndn8tive

Ndn8tive has a reputation beyond reputeNdn8tive has a reputation beyond reputeNdn8tive has a reputation beyond reputeNdn8tive has a reputation beyond reputeNdn8tive has a reputation beyond reputeNdn8tive has a reputation beyond reputeNdn8tive has a reputation beyond reputeNdn8tive has a reputation beyond reputeNdn8tive has a reputation beyond reputeNdn8tive has a reputation beyond reputeNdn8tive has a reputation beyond reputeNdn8tive has a reputation beyond reputeNdn8tive has a reputation beyond reputeNdn8tive has a reputation beyond reputeNdn8tive has a reputation beyond reputeNdn8tive has a reputation beyond reputeNdn8tive has a reputation beyond reputeNdn8tive has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,823.28
Quote:
Originally Posted by outershell View Post
so i was in abarnes & noble looking for something to read and i came across the "native american section"... which was like 2 shelves.
and i was really disappointed at the new age crap that was mixed into that section.
anyway.... i'm still looking for something good to read.
any books you'd recommend?
The Broken Circle: A True Story of Murder and Magic in Indian Country
by Rodney Barker

In 1974, three white high school students were were charged with the murders of two Indians in New Mexico. The crime became nationally renowned after the militant wing of the Navajo nation interpreted the slayings as an example of racial prejudice. This work is a revealing portrait of the way Indians and Anglos live together today.
Ndn8tive is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-09-2009, 12:43 AM   #27
Finally Here AGAIN :)

rocks_az has a reputation beyond reputerocks_az has a reputation beyond reputerocks_az has a reputation beyond reputerocks_az has a reputation beyond reputerocks_az has a reputation beyond reputerocks_az has a reputation beyond reputerocks_az has a reputation beyond reputerocks_az has a reputation beyond reputerocks_az has a reputation beyond reputerocks_az has a reputation beyond reputerocks_az has a reputation beyond reputerocks_az has a reputation beyond reputerocks_az has a reputation beyond reputerocks_az has a reputation beyond reputerocks_az has a reputation beyond reputerocks_az has a reputation beyond reputerocks_az has a reputation beyond repute
Ella Clah Novels....By Aimee and David Thurlo!

rocks_az is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-09-2009, 10:03 AM   #28
Cloth Dancer

Items Dolphin
NancyJo has a reputation beyond repute
NancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,020.79
If you like mysteries.......Jean Hagar writes Molly Bearpaw mysteries taken place around Tahlequah, OK that are pretty good.

For westerns........Robert Conley has written some good books....."Ned Christy's War" is a good one.
NancyJo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-2009, 09:57 PM   #29
PowWows.com Addicts

Lightbulb

Anything Neil Gaimann
Old 04-09-2009, 11:43 AM   #30
Junior Dancer

outershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond repute
outershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,712.26
I just finished Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee. (it took me so long because i'd get so angry i'd have to take a break...) but it really should be required reading in schools today.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:05 PM   #31
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 99,041.40
Savings: 1.00
lol Now go back and read it once or twice more to get a better understanding.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2009, 12:58 PM   #32
Senior Dancer

SuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond repute
SuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 120.00
anything by Drew Hayden Taylor. He is so funny and when it comes to whats in a bookstore it is nice to remember what a great sense of humour our people have. My kids are reading the books by Luther Standing Bear for English.
SuzzeQ4 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2009, 01:11 PM   #33
Lion of Judah

Items Elephant$DevilSword
RDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond repute
RDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 35,780.15
I just finished On the Rez by Ian Frazier not too long ago. I thoroughly enjoyed his writing style. I've recommended the book to a number of people, specifically for the chapters about Su Ann Big Crow.

Although I wonder what y'all (esp. those of you from Pine Ridge) thought about the book.

Another good book is Arts of Diplomacy: Lewis & Clark's Indian Collection by Castle McLaughlin. If you're interested in material culture, it is fascinating.
RDNKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2013, 10:25 PM   #34
Dances With Fat Chicks

milehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
milehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 27,237.05
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndn8tive View Post
The Broken Circle: A True Story of Murder and Magic in Indian Country
by Rodney Barker

In 1974, three white high school students were were charged with the murders of two Indians in New Mexico. The crime became nationally renowned after the militant wing of the Navajo nation interpreted the slayings as an example of racial prejudice. This work is a revealing portrait of the way Indians and Anglos live together today.
read this book around 15yrs ago....i have it....good read
milehighsalute is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-05-2015, 03:45 PM   #35
Head Dancer

Items TreePresentChange User Title
Spiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond repute
Spiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond reputeSpiritflight has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 9,627.76
Hanta Yo

I wonder if anyone ever read the book Hanta Yo by Ruth Beebe Hill and what do you think of it?

About Ruth Beebe Hill
Hill, Ruth Beebe - Ohio Authors - Ohio Center for the Book
Spiritflight is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-05-2015, 06:38 PM   #36
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 44,930.74
Somehow, with college and my parents living and working in Spain, I missed the firestorm Hanta Yo had ignited back home during its initial release. So, one the summer in the early 80's when I was stuck in Heathrow airport for a day and half, with only the selection of paperbacks in the airport newsstand, I unknowingly bought the ponderous tome and read the whole thing. I was in my angry, activist phase back then. I tortured anyone who made the mistake of sitting next to me with my opinions on the passages I had just read:) I will do so again.

For the moment, we'll ignore the odd, Tonto-esque dialogue, and the much disputed tale that it was written in a ancient form of Dakota, then translated into English. Or her claims we didn't have the concepts of "forgive", "doubt", "we" or a handful of other intellectual tricks of which we were apparently incapable, until the nice people from Europe taught us how.

The author did do her homework. If you are even passingly familiar with the ethnographic literature on the Lakota and Dakota, you will be able to point to specific sources for various aspects of Lakota ceremonial ritual and social organization she describes. All some sections needed were footnotes to the references. This certainly lends the tale a patina of authenticity.

But, the storyline grossly distorts Lakota culture. From the ritualization of certain sex acts -- acts which violated the powerful, traditional standards of modesty -- to characters acting total defiance of standards of kinship behavior to outright sacrilege, Lakota culture is twisted.

The combination makes it a dangerous book. It is like teaching a child 1+1=2, 2+2=4, 3+3=7

But Drs DeMaille, Medicine, Douville, and Deloria give Hanta Yo its much deserved trouncing far better than I can.

SAIL Reviews of Hanta Yo

Mother Jones Review of Hanta Yo
windanncer and Spiritflight like this.

Last edited by OLChemist; 09-06-2015 at 07:55 PM..
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links