Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By WhoMe
  • 3 Post By OLChemist
  • 1 Post By WhoMe
  • 1 Post By Mystic Gazer

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Creative Writing > Pow Wow Pow wow dancing Pow wow dancing

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-23-2013, 05:31 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Mystic Gazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 163.61
Savings: 0.00
Pow wow dancing

I believe it is an honor to dance in the sacred circle but some believe they should get paid to do so. I am curious about what others feel about this subject. Also, should the Head Man and Head Lady receive pay?
Mystic Gazer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,558.70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Gazer View Post
I believe it is an honor to dance in the sacred circle but some believe they should get paid to do so. I am curious about what others feel about this subject. Also, should the Head Man and Head Lady receive pay?

If a powwow committee is able to and values the people they invite, they should help them out with a monetary honorarium.

It seems frivolous to put on a powwow without money to cover expenses including "invited" head staff. The exception would be a benefit powwow where the goal is to make money to help someone or a cause out.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

I do believe that dancers should be given a monetary honorarium, but I believe it should come from the goodness of the heart,not asked for.

I also agree that one should be sure to have plenty of funds to cover a pow wow if they have one. I believe it all should come from the heart.

Thank you so much for your thoughts on the subject, I am very open to hear more from you on the subject.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:46 PM   #4
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 62,869.33
When I was a kid I was taught, powwows were social events. There were sacred things that happen during them, but they were NOT ceremony. I don't go to a powwow to have a spiritual experience. If I want that, I pray.

Indeed, I am disturbed by the trend to sanctify powwow. I think it sends a dangerous message to the uninformed that our religion is a show.

This isn't the 19th century. A slab of buffalo meat and good grazing, doesn't get a family from Oklahoma to Alberta and back. Good dancers and singers bring something special to an event. Our people have always rewarded people for sharing their talents with the people. From a pure survival perspective, if we don't make it possible for people who preserve our traditional artistic, literary, and religious forms to support their families, these things will die out.
WhoMe, windanncer and yaahl like this.

Last edited by OLChemist; 06-25-2013 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: Violence to the English language
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2013, 09:10 PM   #5
Pow Wow Visitor

Thank you, it is refreshing to hear. And really opening my eyes to other perspectives on pow wows. I am hear to learn. Again thank you for your thoughts.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,558.70
Lightbulb

Many of the top drums and dancers expect accommodations and the same honorarium as the first place money nowadays.

The size of the powwow and the travel distance your guests are coming from are major factors to consider when putting together honorariums. A rule of thumb is to be as generous as you are able. This shows that you value your head staff.

If you can't afford to give much or are counting on incoming money, it is best to communicate this with your head staff before they arrive so that there will be no misunderstandings and they will not leave with bad feelings.
windanncer likes this.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:49 AM   #7
Pow Wow Visitor

I can understand that and agree with that. It shows your appreciation for the dancers, drummers, head staff. I would never want anyone leaving a pow wow that I had put on feeling bad and/or unappreciated.
windanncer likes this.
Sponsored Links