Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree48Likes

Forum Home - Go Back >   > News and Announcements Forum Moving to New Server Forum Moving to New Server

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 01:33 PM   #81
I pull your leg out!

Items Treasure ChestElephantPresentPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 71,318.40
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by muskrat_skull View Post
Here this may help. We always used symbolic links (what I meant by aliases). They are much faster and solve more problems.
The easy way to change your domain name with a mutli-site setup | Developer Karma
I don't like redirects, too much hacking potential.
I didn't do the moving. In fact I think the new hosting and data center did the moving for the website.
docat likes this.

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/
Toolbox is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #82
Ugh. As. If.

Grits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond repute
Grits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 6,898.11
Savings: 1.00
the disable likes notifications button doesn't work guys....
Grits & Beans is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2013, 11:24 AM   #83
Webmaster

Items PresentUser Name Style ChangeSteal PointsCake
Paul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond repute
Paul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 9,401.99
Quote:
Here this may help. We always used symbolic links (what I meant by aliases). They are much faster and solve more problems.
The easy way to change your domain name with a mutli-site setup | Developer Karma
I don't like redirects, too much hacking potential.
We are using 301 redirects for the search engines to continue to find previously indexed pages.
Paul G is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2013, 11:26 AM   #84
Webmaster

Paul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond repute
Paul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Do you mean that if I create a powwows account with a letter or two different in the username, and a totally unique password, that the forum software will log me in as a similar user instead of myself? I'm not sure how this is possible, given how things work. Perhaps if you did some tampering on your side to cookies but you would still need to know the password for the similar user account.

Once you are on, you can see other users pages. If the user table was recreated and autonumbering assigned new keys, then possibly something could happen and get mixed up, but that would create login and major, major issues and everybody would be messed up.

Its possible that the software defaults to certain values, like male for gender. Is this possible?

Databases don't search on usernames, that is too slow, they search on keys, which are unique numbers in indexed fields and they search on the entire value, and at a low level and in different parts of the hardware (ie. memory usually).

And even if two usernames are the similar, even the same (which isn't allowed for other reasons) the unique keys for each of the user accounts is totally different. And the numeric id for users, being part of the primary key, has a unique index, and therefore duplicates are impossible. Referential integrity generally has to be enforced for certain functions of the database to work, it is quite slow without it.

So I don't understand what you are experiencing, is it just that the gender on your account said male? Or is it something that is happening when you type in a url?
Ok, there is some confusion about the username issue.

It had nothing to do with the migration.

I choose to add a plugin back on the site during this time. That plugin masks the address like - forums.powwows.com/showthread.php?id=123123

to forums.powwows.com/nameofthread

This is better for search engines.

This plugin also masks urls for user profiles.

I worked with the plugin folks this morning and made the necessary modifications to fix that issue.

The accounts were and always have been separate. The software just wasn't writing the url correctly.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:26 AM   #85
Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
Hey did moving to the new server effect the App
I tried it the other day and no workee!
Yes, I'm working to fix that.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:27 PM   #86
Pronounced like "docket"

Items Rainbow$CakeTreasure Chest
docat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond repute
docat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 7,375.82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolbox View Post
I didn't do the moving. In fact I think the new hosting and data center did the moving for the website.

It's just more fun to blame you, Toolbox.
lbgood likes this.
docat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2013, 09:35 PM   #87
Webmaster

Smilies are working again!
Old 03-13-2013, 09:37 PM   #88
Webmaster

:fla me::part y::circl e:
Old 03-14-2013, 10:05 PM   #89
Pronounced like "docket"

docat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond repute
Some of them don't work.

:cir cle:

:p arty:
Old 03-25-2013, 06:36 PM   #90
Pronounced like "docket"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul G View Post
We are using 301 redirects for the search engines to continue to find previously indexed pages.
Help please, whenever I post (except in this thread) something weird shows up in my post thingy.

Here is a screenshot. Look where it says "Already pinged" Some kind of healing arts thingy. WHAT is that? I went to the website for the center of healing arts stuff, and I'm not into that. I'm not sure where that come from.

Do you know? See screenshot:
Attached Thumbnails
whatizthis.jpg  
Old 03-25-2013, 08:43 PM   #91
Senior Dancer

Items DollCatTreasure ChestDevil
muskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond repute
muskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 20,576.33
Quote:
Originally Posted by docat View Post
Help please, whenever I post (except in this thread) something weird shows up in my post thingy.

Here is a screenshot. Look where it says "Already pinged" Some kind of healing arts thingy. WHAT is that? I went to the website for the center of healing arts stuff, and I'm not into that. I'm not sure where that come from.

Do you know? See screenshot:
What url shows up in the title bar of your browser when you get this?

I don't get that.
muskrat_skull is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2013, 08:49 PM   #92
Pronounced like "docket"

Quote:
What url shows up in the title bar of your browser when you get this?

I don't get that.
Here I am on the NEVERENDING GAME in games and polls. Try to post there and see if you get it when you try to post in it.

Here is the URL I had:

Edited it out because it has my member number on it. Just go to Neverending game and see if you can post there without getting that message.

Last edited by docat; 03-25-2013 at 08:51 PM..
Old 03-25-2013, 09:39 PM   #93
Senior Dancer

muskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond repute
muskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Here I am on the NEVERENDING GAME in games and polls. Try to post there and see if you get it when you try to post in it.

Here is the URL I had:

Edited it out because it has my member number on it. Just go to Neverending game and see if you can post there without getting that message.
Thanks for the cooties, docat Now I have to get a cootie shot...

Yes, it did it for me, too. It is something with that thread. It doesn't do it on others.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:42 PM   #94
Pronounced like "docket"

Quote:
Thanks for the cooties, docat Now I have to get a cootie shot...

Yes, it did it for me, too. It is something with that thread. It doesn't do it on others.
We gotta ask @Paul G, there is something up with that ping post. What is a ping anyway?

If you see this Paul G, if you go to Neverending Game in Games and Polls, try to post a test post and you will see that there is something called pinged on it. Can you remove that?
Old 03-26-2013, 10:01 AM   #95
Webmaster

Quote:
We gotta ask @Paul G, there is something up with that ping post. What is a ping anyway?

If you see this Paul G, if you go to Neverending Game in Games and Polls, try to post a test post and you will see that there is something called pinged on it. Can you remove that?
What?

Screenshot?
Old 03-26-2013, 10:04 AM   #96
Webmaster

I think that is just a pingback. That helps with SEO - search engine optimization.

From Wiki:

A pingback is one of three types of linkback methods for Web authors to request notification when somebody links to one of their documents. This enables authors to keep track of who is linking to, or referring to their articles. Some weblog software, such as Movable Type, Serendipity, WordPress, and Telligent Community, support automatic pingbacks where all the links in a published article can be pinged when the article is published. A number of more advanced content management systems support pingbacks through the use of addons or extensions, including Drupal and Joomla.

Essentially, a pingback is an XML-RPC request (not to be confused with an ICMP ping) sent from Site A to Site B, when an author of the blog at Site A writes a post that links to Site B. However, it also requires a hyperlink. When Site B receives the notification signal, it automatically goes back to Site A checking for the existence of a live incoming link. If that link exists, the pingback is recorded successfully. This makes pingbacks less prone to spam than trackbacks. Pingback-enabled resources must either use an X-Pingback header or contain a element to the XML-RPC script.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:43 PM   #97
Pronounced like "docket"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul G View Post
I think that is just a pingback. That helps with SEO - search engine optimization.

From Wiki:

A pingback is one of three types of linkback methods for Web authors to request notification when somebody links to one of their documents. This enables authors to keep track of who is linking to, or referring to their articles. Some weblog software, such as Movable Type, Serendipity, WordPress, and Telligent Community, support automatic pingbacks where all the links in a published article can be pinged when the article is published. A number of more advanced content management systems support pingbacks through the use of addons or extensions, including Drupal and Joomla.

Essentially, a pingback is an XML-RPC request (not to be confused with an ICMP ping) sent from Site A to Site B, when an author of the blog at Site A writes a post that links to Site B. However, it also requires a hyperlink. When Site B receives the notification signal, it automatically goes back to Site A checking for the existence of a live incoming link. If that link exists, the pingback is recorded successfully. This makes pingbacks less prone to spam than trackbacks. Pingback-enabled resources must either use an X-Pingback header or contain a element to the XML-RPC script.
Does that mean the thread doesn't have cooties?
Old 03-26-2013, 10:56 PM   #98
Senior Dancer

Quote:
Does that mean the thread doesn't have cooties?
It means you have cooties.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:14 PM   #99
Pronounced like "docket"

Quote:
It means you have cooties.
Oh great!
Old 03-26-2013, 11:34 PM   #100
Senior Dancer

Quote:
Oh great!
Its okay, I have them too. So does my wolf. That is why he is dancing.
Sponsored Links