Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > General Crafts > Tutorials Applique introduction Applique introduction

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2002, 03:12 AM   #21
Honey Connoissuer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Savings: 1.00
ok sorry this took so long...now...in this pic I just showed that I have my entire outline done...notice I did NOT outline the twig and leaves
Attached Thumbnails
beaver14.jpg  
Old 12-10-2002, 03:15 AM   #22
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
ok in this pic I have decided FIRST to fill in the twig and leaves. To do this I kinda just follow the line of the drawing and fill it in as the picture flows. So then I start in on the beaver starting at the front leg because this is my closest point and will follow a different flow from the rest of the beaver. If you follow the line of the drawings, you can get a different texture than if you just went in circles....
Attached Thumbnails
beaver15.jpg  
Old 12-10-2002, 03:18 AM   #23
Honey Connoissuer

ok after I have filled in the arm to a point..I go back and start at the top of the nose of the beaver and follow it down to the end of the tail. At the end of the tail it kind of curves..so I use the front of the tail as my ending guideline... and take up the next row right next to where I ended the first and go back in the opposite direction back to the nose. Following this flow, I get to accentuate the roundness of the back of the beaver.
Attached Thumbnails
beaver16.jpg  
Old 12-10-2002, 03:22 AM   #24
Honey Connoissuer

Ok ..as you could see from the beginning..I have drawn indicator lines where the colors will be different...the tail was one and here is the nose. I will use cream up to the marker line and follow the same flow back down to the tail where the color changes to the darker brown and back up again until the design flow changes.
Attached Thumbnails
beaver18.jpg  
Old 12-10-2002, 03:28 AM   #25
Honey Connoissuer

ok I have reached a point where the tail is done with the flow, but I still have a small space to fill. The beads wont' fit in the direction of the flow so one at a time I fill them in at another angle. This is another way of filling in any gaps you might have.
Attached Thumbnails
beaver20.jpg  
Old 12-10-2002, 03:31 AM   #26
Honey Connoissuer

well I could joke and say I am at the end of my rope...but really I am at the end of my thread. So I know I will get snuffed at for doing it this way LOL...but what I do is bring my needle back under and run it under a couple of threads where the beads have been attached...then I tie it in a loop tight against those threads to anchor it... I do the same thing for tying on a new thread... same under threads I simply tie a new string on..then bring back to the front behind the last two beads I put on and then run the needle through those two beads and add on my next four...
Attached Thumbnails
beaver21.jpg  
Old 12-10-2002, 03:32 AM   #27
Honey Connoissuer

another view
Attached Thumbnails
beaver22.jpg  
Old 12-10-2002, 03:33 AM   #28
Honey Connoissuer

and a view of tying on the new thread
Attached Thumbnails
beaver23.jpg  
Old 12-15-2002, 06:07 AM   #29
Honey Connoissuer

ok I have finished the piece itself.. I used brown wrapping paper, three layers glued together and to the back of the piece of beadwork..then on a suggestion from another thread I used a dry iron and set the glue up realllly good. kept the piece flat too. Then I took a plastic lid from a yogurt cup and trimmed it up slightly smaller than the beaded piece itself. Smaller cause I don't want to have to try to put a needle through it. Then I took some thin white deer hide and glued everything to it and trimmed it as close to the beads as possible, without clipping any threads.
Attached Thumbnails
beaver24.jpg  
Old 12-15-2002, 06:12 AM   #30
Honey Connoissuer

a close up of the yet unfinished piece...since then, I have edge beaded it but will not post a pic until the piece is complete.
Attached Thumbnails
beaver25.jpg  
Old 12-15-2002, 08:22 PM   #31
Jinglin fool...

n8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond reputen8tivechick has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
wow.. that was quick and your work is beautifull as well!!! but lemme ask what the brownpaper is for?

~Kelli

You say I don't look indian? Well you don't look stupid, but looks can be deceiving!
n8tivechick is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-15-2002, 11:37 PM   #32
Tiny Tot Dancer

alaskashadowwolf is an unknown quantity at this point
Beautiful work Black Bear!!!! I got a couple questions for you now. Have you ever done this right onto the leather itself or do you always bead onto diaper pad or another material first? And how do you do big pieces (like breachclout size), do you use a different stitch or use a bigger hoop?
alaskashadowwolf is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-16-2002, 03:48 AM   #33
Honey Connoissuer

The brown paper I glue the beadwork to for stiffness...usually 3 layers of it.

I never bead directly to the leather for this kind of coverage!! This is why it is called APPLIQUE. Applique means to add on top or something to that effect. In the beginning of the thread I said I was using a vaccuum filter..but this is only for projects smaller than 6 inches in size. For larger it just kinda depends on what is handy. the largest piece i have done I beaded it on a piece of felt with an iron on stabelizer on the back..but I also needed it to be flexible. You can do the big pieces the same as you would do the small..just keep your stitches no more than four beads at a time on any size. And I would use a bigger hoop... aslo brown paper by itself is good to bead on..but make it at least 2 to 3 layers thick so that your stitches don't pull through... but then it is suseptable to water and breakdown....
Old 12-21-2002, 01:46 PM   #34
Tiny Tot Dancer

alaskashadowwolf is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for your advice Blackbear! As always your knowledge provides those of us just starting out with tons of insight. Are you planning on doing another instructional thread soon? I know there are lots of us who would love to see you teach us more.
alaskashadowwolf is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-21-2002, 04:21 PM   #35
Pow Wow Visitor

NotSoLarj is an unknown quantity at this point
Blackbear that is beautiful.

Home of the Free...BECAUSE of the Brave!
NotSoLarj is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-22-2002, 04:43 AM   #36
Honey Connoissuer

I would have to think of one..OR I guess if I EVENTUALLY use my awesome loom and actually loom bead somethign I could do that then...BUT I hate to use a loom LOL so that might take some time... I don't know..I guess I might start a new one as I am inspired to do it. Thanks ..I am glad you guys enjoyed this!
Old 12-23-2002, 04:13 PM   #37
freak ;-)

Selina has a reputation beyond repute
Selina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,186.80
Hey Blackbear!
That one looks really wonderful.
I guess it was a piece of hard work!
:D

Live each and every day of your life as though it would be your last!
Selina is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-30-2002, 10:29 PM   #38
Honey Connoissuer

TA DA!! it's finished finally!
Attached Thumbnails
beavernecklace.jpg  
Old 12-30-2002, 10:34 PM   #39
Junior Dancer

jazzy95 has a reputation beyond reputejazzy95 has a reputation beyond reputejazzy95 has a reputation beyond reputejazzy95 has a reputation beyond reputejazzy95 has a reputation beyond reputejazzy95 has a reputation beyond reputejazzy95 has a reputation beyond reputejazzy95 has a reputation beyond reputejazzy95 has a reputation beyond reputejazzy95 has a reputation beyond reputejazzy95 has a reputation beyond reputejazzy95 has a reputation beyond reputejazzy95 has a reputation beyond reputejazzy95 has a reputation beyond reputejazzy95 has a reputation beyond repute
HOLY BEAVER DAMS BATMAN!!!!

THAT IS SO TOTALLY AWESOME...!:clap: :39: :blushing:

"MAKE THE MOST OF THE HEMP SEED, SOW IT EVERYWHERE"--GEORGE WASHINGTON
jazzy95 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-31-2002, 04:08 AM   #40
Honey Connoissuer

Nya-weh!! I do think it is going to look huge on such a little girl though LOL!